Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 7, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Default How much $$ should I spend on a new cpu?

I'm planning on building a new computer in April. Mine is hopelessly out of date. (currently running an fx 6300, and upgrading beyond that basically means I need a new mobo).

Traditionally I've tried to not spend too much on cpus, as they become obsolete so quickly anyway... I don't want to spend $500 on a cpu that'll be overtaken by $200 cpus in a couple years.

However, the last 7 years or so, we've seen remarkable sticking power in CPUs. I know there's lots of gays here who splurged on a core-i7 years and years ago that are still perfectly happy with it today.

What do you think will happen with CPUs over the next several years? I'm happy to spend $500 on a cpu if it means I won't have to upgrade it for another 5 years.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 02:05 PM   #2
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Obligatory what is the system going to be used for? Both Intel and AMD have some pretty compelling options depending on usage scenario.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

An 8700K is less than $500, and the upcoming 2700X from AMD is less than $500. Either way it will come down to what you use it for and even then it won't matter as the differences will be so small especially if you plan to game on it above 1440P.

Intel will probably still have a higher IPC and clock higher in overclocking. Which will benefit gaming. Pretty much all you need to do is:

Core 50
AVX Offset 2 or 3
1.3v Vcore ( if its stable at this voltage, drop the voltage down and re-test )
LLC 6 ( Asus Motherboard )
SVID Disabled

Works on every 8700K system I've built. Unless your Megaman.

Where as AMD will probably out perform the 8700K when it comes to "prosumer" workloads. But gaming wise will perform slower at 1080p and pretty much the same at 1440P+.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 7, 2018, 03:49 PM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

I'd like to put together a gaming rig that I won't have to upgrade the cpu or mobo again for several years to come. So I want the cpu to work for 4k, VR, etc., even if I don't buy the most powerful GPU right away (I can always upgrade that later).

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 7, 2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I'd like to put together a gaming rig that I won't have to upgrade the cpu or mobo again for several years to come. So I want the cpu to work for 4k, VR, etc., even if I don't buy the most powerful GPU right away (I can always upgrade that later).
Do you plan too overclock it?
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 06:14 PM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

8700k.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 08:05 PM   #7
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
as they become obsolete so quickly anyway...
Probably a bunch of 2600k users who would disagree with you.

My 4770k is five years old(?!?) this year. It won't hang with a 8700k on benchmarks.....but the cost/benefit for an upgrade isn't worth it yet, either.

My heart wants a Ryzen, but my head tells me if I were upgrading now to get an 8700k.

Or by way of the most direct response to your question...

$330.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 08:46 PM   #8
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

8700K - 339 boners.

Nothing else makes sense.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2018, 09:20 PM   #9
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
Probably a bunch of 2600k users who would disagree with you.

My 4770k is five years old(?!?) this year. It won't hang with a 8700k on benchmarks.....but the cost/benefit for an upgrade isn't worth it yet, either.
That's what I'm saying. When I used to build computers in the 90s and early 2000s, I never would have spent more than a couple hundred bucks on a cpu, 'cause there was always faster, better stuff coming out the next year.

Whereas the last several years, the rate of improvements has been so slow, that high-end cpus from 7 years ago are still great today.

My question is whether you think that the rate of improvement will stay slow, in which case I should spend more on a cpu now, or if the rate of improvement will speed up, so that I should just buy an adaquate cpu now, and upgrade to something dramatically better in a couple years.

Quote:
My heart wants a Ryzen, but my head tells me if I were upgrading now to get an 8700k.
I'll be waiting until after the next set of ryzens launches, so the prices & performance situation will be a little different by then anyway.

Quote:
Or by way of the most direct response to your question...

$330.00
$330 sounds like a reasonable middle-ground price. I'll prolly aim for about that price range, unless there's a compelling reason not to.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 7, 2018, 09:22 PM   #10
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Do you plan too overclock it?
Prolly not. I want it to run stable without me having to fiddle with it, so I'll prolly just run it stock.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:00 PM   #11
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Prolly not. I want it to run stable without me having to fiddle with it, so I'll prolly just run it stock.
Such posts should automatically get a ban.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:47 AM   #12
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post

Works on every 8700K system I've built. Unless your Megaman.

What ya talking about? I’m in 5.3ghz at 1.22 volts.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 03:42 AM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Honestly you could probably buy a low end i5 or r5 and not have to upgrade for several years. Any sort of substantial CPU improvements died more than half a decade ago. An overclocked 2500K can still game perfectly fine under most circumstances. For most, it's no longer a question of "needing" to upgrade, more about trying to convince yourself it's worth it.

With that being said, since you won't have to upgrade for a long time anyway, I'd suggest getting either the highest end i7 K version, or wait for the next Ryzen release in a couple of months and get an r7.

Don't get a non-overclockable CPU even if you don't want to overclock right now. It gives you an option to clock higher down the line and extend the longevity of the CPU further. Note how I said before that an overclocked 2500K is still viable--a non-overclocked is close to 30% slower with all cores engaged.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 11, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 03:44 AM   #14
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
My question is whether you think that the rate of improvement will stay slow, in which case I should spend more on a cpu now, or if the rate of improvement will speed up, so that I should just buy an adaquate cpu now, and upgrade to something dramatically better in a couple years.
There's no indication it's going to speed up. Now that AMD is competitive again, maybe it will speed up a little bit compared to the slow as molasses improvements of the past six years or so, but it's not going back to the 90s or early 00s. More than anything the increased competition is likely to mean more cores start getting utilized, so if you're buying now don't make the mistake of buying a four core CPU.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 04:39 AM   #15
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly you could probably buy a low end i5 or r5 and not have to upgrade for several year. Any sort of substantial CPU improvements died a decade more than half a decade ago. An overclocked 2500K can still game perfectly fine under most circumstances. For most, it's no longer a question of "needing" to upgrade, more about trying to convince yourself it's worth it.

With that being said, since you won't have to upgrade for a long time anyway, I'd suggest getting either the highest end i7 K version, or wait for the next Ryzen release in a couple of months and get an r7.

Don't get a non-overclockable CPU even if you don't want to overclock right now. It gives you an option to clock higher down the line and extend the longevity of the CPU further. Note how I said before than an overclocked 2500K is still viable--a non-overclocked is close to 30% slower with all cores engaged.

I am in the same boat. My rig does everything I need it too at this time. However, its showing its age just cause of a lack of DRAM. (8GB).. but I don't want to invest in a dead platform. lol. Catch 22. I'd rather put that money towards getting 16GB for the next platform.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 07:26 AM   #16
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I spent $280 on my i7 7700K to replace my i5 6500. I didn't want to replace my mobo yet, otherwise I probably would've sprung for the 8700.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2018, 07:54 AM   #17
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I spent $280 on my i7 7700K to replace my i5 6500. I didn't want to replace my mobo yet, otherwise I probably would've sprung for the 8700.
I wish you had sold that a month earlier. I spent $80 on a 3570k, and it was $80 well spent lol, but when the time comes to upgrade I'll go top tier on which ever offers the best bang for the buck at the time, be it AMD or Intel.