Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM   #601
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

https://twitter.com/Avery78/status/1307765955888476162

Quote:
Avery
@Avery78
#RX6000 whispers...(2/2)
New tech introductions -> NV
1. Lossless anti-aliasing
2. Nano-subsurface effect
3. A NCSN type tech (Noise Conditional Score Network) introducing training functions
[unverified + salt]
Avery is another known twitter leaker followed by a few well known youtubers.

#3 sounds like a DLSS type tech.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.7.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM   #602
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The thing about projecting performance is we still don't actually know how big Big Navi actually is. With 80 CUs it could be in the ballpark of 3080/3090 (+/-). But if they didn't make a chip that big then who knows?

They have a better node than Nvidia this time, so I think they have a decent chance to match Nvidia even if we consider them to be at an architectural disadvantage. But it still depends what they were aiming for. Maybe they were aiming for a lower power target and didn't create a chip that scales up to 320w.

On the other hand, if they were really going for high end performance it seems pretty obvious the target would be 2080 Ti plus at least 30%, which is what Ampere basically provides. I don't believe the guys at AMD are complete simpletons that wouldn't realize Nvidia would come out with something faster than the 2080 Ti. So, provided that was what they were aiming for, it just depends if they hit it or not.

I've also seen various speculation around the internet that AMD may beat Nvidia on efficiency, but not necessarily on performance. In my opinion if they beat them on efficiency they probably will beat them on performance too (provided they actually made a big chip). The reason being, you can always flush efficiency down the toilet by feeding the chip more voltage so that it hits a higher frequency. Admittedly that doesn't always work: for example, Ryzen 3000 series is more efficient than whatever Intel's current Lake architecture is, but it hits such a voltage wall at around 4.3 GHz that you can't get it to go much higher no matter how much voltage you feed it. All the same with GPUs, generally the more efficient architecture has also been the faster architecture (with the less efficient architecture being power hungry precisely because it's been pushed outside of its sweet spot).

That leads me to the one thing I think a lot of people have glossed over with Ampere: it appears to have been shipped right at the edge of its efficiency curve. That's why it has basically no OC headroom left in it, the frequency scaling is already deep into diminishing returns. In order to get the 30% performance increase versus Turing it seems they couldn't leave anything extra on the table.

Does that mean AMD is automatically faster? Absolutely not. But at a minimum the opening is there. In contrast, had Ampere shipped with its current performance while maintaining the same power as Turing then I'd be more doubtful of AMD's chances.

Bottom line, I am very curious to see what AMD has at the end of October. This could actually be an exciting time for GPU competition, unlike the last five+ years.

Last edited by Nagorak : Yesterday at 09:50 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM   #603
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

What the man said, all true.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #604
AllexxisF1
Owie.

AllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English ChannelAllexxisF1 once jumped the English Channel

It's gonna be close.

But what I also think is important is Lisa Su, coming on camera and saying oh yeah, we hired a butt load more dev's for our drivers.

I'm ok with AMD Drivers, but they got to start changing minds on that front. People are rightfully pissed.
AllexxisF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #605
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...it_bus_source/

Quote:
As with any rumor, take this with a grain of salt.

ROCm 3.8 has been released an it contains new firmware for Navy Flounder (which is either Navi 22 or Navi 23) including the gpu_info firmware.

A description of the firmware can be found in the Linux kernel.

Here are the values for all the Navi GPUs:

Quote:
The number of CUs can be found by multiplying the first three values (so 40 for Navy Flounder).

Another interesting value is gc_num_tccs, which is the number of texture channel caches and is generally related to the memory bus width (for Navy Flounder it would mean 192-bit), though there are exceptions.
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/statu...91434760773632

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 20.5.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 20.7.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #606
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Is the fish related codenames so that they can drop the shark when they want to? Or unleash the kraken?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #607
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Is the fish related codenames so that they can drop the shark when they want to? Or unleash the kraken?
Or will AMD flounder again??
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #608
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Or will AMD flounder again??
I have no doubt they will compete in raster ops. RT is my concern.

yoz
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #609
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I have no doubt they will compete in raster ops. RT is my concern.
after playing a few RT games and the division 2 not concerned
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #610
Leprechaun
Radeon Arctic Islands

Leprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLeprechaun can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I had a trawl through the Radeon 6000 page. So many fake predictions, oh whale do we begin. Bunch of armchair noobs just reeling predictions off. The specs to Performance ratio looks a bit fishy to me, but the Nvidia launch cod of been better. Usually AMD is gillty of paper launches. Either way AMD has a good opportunaty here. Until then guys please quit carping on each other you're giving me a haddack.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #611
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyNIGELG can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
I had a trawl through the Radeon 6000 page. So many fake predictions, oh whale do we begin. Bunch of armchair noobs just reeling predictions off. The specs to Performance ratio looks a bit fishy to me, but the Nvidia launch cod of been better. Usually AMD is gillty of paper launches. Either way AMD has a good opportunaty here. Until then guys please quit carping on each other you're giving me a haddack.
Take some reputation for that!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #612
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm sardine to think this thread has lost its porpoise.
Crawdaddy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #613
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post

Hook, line and sinker!
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #614
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Hook, line and sinker!
🤣

yoz
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #615
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #616
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

I'm herring a lot of rumours about AMD's latest video cards.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #617
pax
Rage3D Spammer

These fish puns are destroying my sole...

ION the cache tech used might be related to this patent:

https://www.reddit.com/r/realAMD/com...iguration_via/

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200293445.pdf

Quote:
A method of dynamic cache configuration includes determining, for a first clustering configuration, whether a current cache miss rate exceeds a miss rate threshold. The first clustering configuration includes a plurality of graphics processing unit (GPU) compute units clustered into a first plurality of compute unit clusters. The method further includes clustering, based on the current cache miss rate exceeding the miss rate threshold, the plurality of GPU compute units into a second clustering configuration having a second plurality of compute unit clusters fewer than the first plurality of compute unit clusters.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Today, 07:28 AM   #618
acroig
Master Troll

yoz
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #619
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Heres an opportunity to get AQUAMAN to endorse Radeon 6xxx series!
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote