Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and technical support forum for legacy ATI technology such as Rage, Rage Fury and Rage MAXX.

Old Apr 30, 2000, 07:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Magicman

Question

I can't get the Maxx to install on win2k, I get lock-ups when i try to run the setup program. And it cannot find the drivers when i run in safe mode. The newist drivers are for win98 only correct? Will this card work in win2k?
Old Apr 30, 2000, 10:12 PM   #2
MrB
drunk manslut

MrB is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy

Sorry dude, the MAXX isn't supported in any way by Windows 2000 . You'll have to wait till July when ATI releases drivers for it.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2000, 05:41 AM   #3
Magicman

Unhappy

Alright thanks anyway, im just going to have to return it then.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 4, 2000, 11:32 AM   #4
Huy Nguyen

Exclamation

Actually, it does work in Windows 2000, but only with regular 2D framebuffer support. You have to install using the .inf files manually.
Old May 10, 2000, 08:27 PM   #5
P!SSED OFF

Just recieved this from a friend.....

Dear Customer,
You have previously contacted our Microsoft Windows 2000 feedback email address to comment or inquire about RAGE FURY MAXX drivers and support for the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system.

I regret to inform you that our plan to provide a RAGE FURY MAXX driver for the Windows 2000 operating system cannot be completed. Due to issues with enumerating the chip ID's, of the dual RAGE 128 PRO graphics chips, we are unable to complete the driver for our RAGE FURY MAXX card.

ATI sincerely apologizes for promising a driver to you and then being unable to complete it. This was an unforeseen technical issue during the development of the Windows 2000 RAGE FURY MAXX drivers.

For those customers who wish to contact me directly to comment on this situation, please email me at [email protected] I welcome your comments and feedback.

so here is my response
The following memo was recently passed onto me by a concerned customer. This draws GREAT concern on my part not only as a system builder for several businesses within the Greater Chicagoland area, where we have established ourselves as a reputable dealer within the IT and DIY market, but also as a dedicated customer for several years. As our expected growth this year may topple the $1,000,000.00 mark and we have used your products within 80% we find this news VERY disheartening that your descision to no longer support a product that is less then a year old. I personally am left with the feeling of abandonment and wonder whether or not this type of action upon your part is something that we, the customers, will be forced to deal with in another year. So now I am stuck with a rather large (and costly) stock of product that has now been deemed obsolete due to your decision to cease further development for a future operating system, that by all accounts will dominate the market. This sentiment will be sure to echo throughout the industry and by all accounts rightfully so. Continued actions such as these will surely place ATI and their upcoming products in the ranks of such S3 and their once dominating virge chips and Trident, whos card could at one time be found in 90+% of PCs.
I no longer feel comfortable as a retailer, nor as a consumer, to continue to support ATI or their products if this is what we have to look forward to.

Old May 13, 2000, 12:14 AM   #6
olivier

It's quite unfortunate, but it seems to be due
to the 'hack' used by the OS seeing 2
separate devices on a single AGP slot.
I'd still think that since it's a pure gaming card, and it works on Millennium,
it's not such a big deal unless you reaaally
want Win2k badly with slower frame rate.

Old May 16, 2000, 08:55 AM   #7
Guile

Question

Hey Huy Nguyen (or anyone else):

So if I use the Win98 INF files to install it in Win2K, you're saying I will be able to have at least 2D support?? Is that better than using the Rage128 Pro Win2K drivers?
I'd just like to be able to run Win2K at least, nevermind the D3D or OGL support, cuz I only use it for apps anyway, not games...

If someone has played around with this and knows what works best, please reply or email me at [email protected] !

Thanks
Old May 17, 2000, 08:50 PM   #8
Guile

Lightbulb

Win2K runs in 2D mode using the Rage Fury PRO Win2K drivers... but the screen re-drawing is very sluggish! (i.e. when dragging a window around or scrolling down in a windows etc)... but at least I can set my res to 1600x1200 with 32bit colour now...

Anyone know how to correct this? Has anyone had any luck with 2D in Win2K?? If so, please post!
Old Jun 1, 2000, 08:26 PM   #9
Huy Nguyen

That's right.. framebuffer only support is all you can get with the current ATI Win2K Rage 128 Pro drivers using the .inf files to install. No 2D (i.e. window dragging ops, etc) or 3D acceleration.

It can't be fixed until ATI comes up with some changes to properly recognize the MAXX cards, AFAIK. Maybe putting a few lines in the .inf files manually might work, but I don't really know.