Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 02:33 PM   #5941
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Installing all the new brake pads tonight, a new axle nut I had to order, the rest of the bolts in the ABS module (mounted it last night), and neutral balance the sway bars.

Then I need to remove the water pump and thermostat assembly. Found a coolant leak from the water pump when I was checking things over. Parts are on the way. The fun never ends.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:23 AM   #5942
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Been awake for 18 hours. Gonna get the car in the garage, get it jacked and get the stock exhaust off today. Sleep, and then get at least the midpipe on before I leave for work tonight. Ideally I’d like to get the entire thing on before work but I want to do a thorough inspection/cleaning of the underbelly .. car has been through 2 NorthEastern winters .. salt and corrosion central.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 09:45 AM   #5943
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yesterday I got the RX-7 ready and running. Pulled it out of the garage, washed it, started it up for the first time this season and took it for a quick drive. Windshield is cracked bad enough that I don't think it'll pass inspection, so I made an insurance claim last night and the shop should call me about it today. Then I'll getting it inspection before I start my new job.

Today I'm getting my Unitronic tune in for the GTI so I'll be flashing that. Should put it at 310HP / 347LB-FT.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:05 AM   #5944
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Is that wheel or crank?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:12 AM   #5945
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Crank. Wheel is probably around 279-285hp and 313-320tq.

EDIT: Family photo:

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:22 AM   #5946
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You should update the FD's front turn signal lights:

http://rx7.com/store/rx7/fdexterior.html
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:26 AM   #5947
ice
Rage3D Spammer

I've wanted to do the whole 99 front end for awhile, maybe I'll start piecing it together finally. I do notice how bad the turn signals are every time I wash it though. They're so tired looking.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:43 AM   #5948
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It's a good look, but it can be pricey with OEM components. I know there are some knock-off look-a-like fronts but they aren't the same quality.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:19 PM   #5949
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Some work from the past few days when I've had the chance to turn a wrench. While I was nearly finished with the car, I found a bad coolant leak that was dripping down from the water pump and collecting on the bottom of the oil pan. So, replaced the water pump, thermostat housing, and all seals. Then, found a handy tool for compressing the cylinders that works for both front/rear brakes. Also cleaned up the track wheels. The single shown is where the axle failed and dumped grease all over it, along with the lower control arm, shock, etc. Everything is cleaned up now from that. Also cleaned the rest of the wheels up. Griots Garage wheel cleaner and a nylon brush works GREAT.

Still need to neutral balance the sway bars. Fortunately, my car has already been lowered...checked the ride height bolts tonight. The repaired ABS module is in and it didn't trigger the ABS fault (Left Rear Output Solenoid) when I was cycling the ignition on and off for hot/cold cycles when getting the air out of the cooling system. Want to test drive it and get into ABS to verify all is well, plus need to feel out the repaired suspension (bushings). Alignment and Tech 2 abs bleed cycling next week.

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:24 PM   #5950
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

While pressing the brake pedal to seat the caliper cylinders against the brake pads I just installed, I noticed the pedal was squeaking. This can be a sign of a brake booster going bad, which can also be caused by the master cylinder leaking. I recalled that I had low fluid problems in turns at Mid Ohio and RPM. I checked the brake booster/master cylinder, and you can clearly see where it has been leaking down the booster. There is a lot of corrosion, and it drips down and hits the subframe where there is more corrosion.

Great...this damn thing is really fighting me this year. Pretty sure there is no way I can get that replaced before May 6th. Going to be one hell of a scramble now.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 01:01 AM   #5951
Nunz
RIP Roxen

**** that sucks man. Brake fluid is so corrosive.

I got the exhaust on today! Ordered lug nuts that will be here Friday for the tire install. Looking to buy some permanent tire lettering next month or so. I really dig that look.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:51 AM   #5952
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
**** that sucks man. Brake fluid is so corrosive.

I got the exhaust on today! Ordered lug nuts that will be here Friday for the tire install. Looking to buy some permanent tire lettering next month or so. I really dig that look.
Awesome! Would love to hear an exhaust video if you can manage it.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 05:11 PM   #5953
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Getting my 20" wheels put on today. I put the spacers I need on for the front before I brought it in and damn my truck looked way better. Won't be as pronounced with the new wheels but will still look great I think.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2019, 08:11 PM   #5954
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Threw in the towel and called off the first track day of the year so I have more time to get the car done and tested before throwing it on track. Just simply not enough time with too many changes.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 02:43 AM   #5955
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Cold start before I left for work. It doesn’t sound much louder than the stock exhaust (which is what I wanted) but it does have a lower tone, more growl. I’ll try to get video under load.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 02:25 AM   #5956
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Bought new tires for my 10 year old Edge. Found out that the control arm bushels are worn out on both back wheels. Looking at a 1000 cockslap bill.

Car’s getting old I think.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:23 PM   #5957
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Took the silver track car out for a test run just around town to feel things out a bit. Taking it in for alignment Tuesday.

Car feels pretty good. Steering is a bit tighter and far less sloppy. No more waiting for the sloppy rubber bushings to asborb the movement. Surprisingly, the ride is still nice with the OEM shocks still on the car. There is definitely more noise and vibration, but no added harshness. I mean, I feel EVERYTHING now, but it's not a harsh hit. The shocks are still absorbing it. It's going to be a brute though when the coilovers are installed. Didn't go nuts because the alignment is WAAAAAY off.

Need to get the car in for an alignment. Then once it's home again, the race seat has to be pulled so I can start taking apart the interior to replace the brake booster and master cylinder.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 09:08 PM   #5958
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Refreshed the paint, painted the rims, painted the calipers, cleaned the brakes and applied the liquid glass treatment on the Jetta

I think it looks great, for a 10 year old car
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red+ Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | 2 x XFX Radeon R9-290X Black Edition 4GB Crossfire | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:58 PM   #5959
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Picked up a clay mitt. Going to try that out instead of dealing with the bars.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019, 01:33 PM   #5960
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Alignment yesterday at the dealer was a disaster. Completely out of the scope of what they are able to do, and the Corvette tech had no understanding of basic alignment theory. He messed with it for a couple hours before calling me and saying it couldn't be done, so I headed there after work. He didn't use any shims, so I calculated the difference in camber and told him which shims to use and where to use them. We had the front camber dialed in in about 20min. The caster is still way out and the rear is just a mess.

Pretty much wasted a lot of money. Asked him to wrap it up and corrected toe so I could drive it home safely and not ruin tires if I need to get it somewhere.

Going to do the alignment myself, replace the Master Cylinder, and buy my own Tech2 tool for my own system diagnostics and ABS cycling.

That was the last time for me. I'll do everything now and just bring in loose wheels/tires for mounting.
Old May 16, 2019, 09:55 PM   #5961
Nunz
RIP Roxen

3 port boost solenoid and catless downpipe ordered, also 6qt of oil. Still using Brad, this is my 3rd or 4th order with him. Good guy and everything always comes quick. I’ve always used the Subaru OEM filter (it’s top notch) but gonna try the AMSOIL filter with this oil change.

Looking at changing tranny fluid in the next 5k miles. When Subaru replaced the transmission I bought the car with 50miles on the drivetrain for the most part. Basically the entire tranny was replaced. I have no idea if they did proper break-in and changed fluid after, or if I’ve run the tranny on the same fluid it used for break-in. I’ve put 17100 miles on the car since I purchased in November 2017. Also looking at spark plugs around 50k. General maintenance stuff coming up. Oh, and I think I need to replace bushings in the front end ..

300whp here we come!
Old May 16, 2019, 11:07 PM   #5962
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Awesome, Brad is a GREAT resource. I have a chain of emails that has gone back and forth over the years with him that is well over 100 now. Great guy, and willing to help out quite a bit. Maybe a bit more so since he also owns a C5 racecar, but he knows his oil regardless.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:24 PM   #5963
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yup. Looking for his advice on whether I should change oil up since I’ll be going catless. I know the great debate of zinc levels in oil vs cats and running high zinc in catless systems .. it’s such a big debate and so many different opinions on both sides. I do think high zinc is bad for cats but trying to see what I really gain by going with a higher zinc oil since I’m removing the cat now. The Sig Series 5w-30 is quite low zinc which he recommended due to the 2 step catalytic converter on the stock downpipe.

We shall see. I’m really looking forward to the tone change w/ the catless downpipe. It’s going to give me a little bit of that raspy subie rumble that I don’t get because of the FA20s equal length headers. I’m not sure how much louder it’s going to make the exhaust but we shall see.

ETuner is already emailed and will pay him tomorrow for the base map. I’m on my 6th revision of the Stage1+ tune for my CBE and intake, and the car is running so damn good it’s almost a shame the entire tune will need to be redone
Old May 17, 2019, 09:27 AM   #5964
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Brad could probably help out on the oil recommendation. But as far as going catless...it gets old after a while. I wouldn't have left my cats in anyway, but I forgot how bad it smelled and how oily you feel after being around the car. Mine had been sitting since June when I finally fired it up. Made my whole house smell, and my clothes.

If you can reach the goals you're looking for with cats intact and without ruining them or risking damage to something if they burn up, might consider leaving them in? Worth looking into for sure.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:32 PM   #5965
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yep. Brad said he will email me after the weekend with some research. Hell of a guy and an amazing resource to have.

I already ordered the catless. Mainly it’s the cost savings. The Invidia catless J-Pipe is $330 shipped compared to the $700 for the Grimmspeed catted. With the savings I was able to buy the 3port boost control solenoid and still have $$ left over. From what I understand, it shouldn’t be too bad in terms of smell - my buddy has a catless STI and you can’t smell much of anything.

My ETuner did concern me a little. He said “no guarantee you will pass inspection. We can try some things but it’s very difficult for these cars to run the O2 in ready states while catless” which seems quite contradictory from most of what I’ve read. My buddy’s STI passes OBD check with a protune from Prime Motoring. Might end up just taking it straight for the protune at Prime Motoring to get that JRtuned sauce; one of the most reputable tuners in the Subie community. Email and pay half in advance and the shop will send me the basemap to get the car over there. I emailed them a few minutes ago to see how backed up they are to get the car on the dyno and how much $$ we’re talking.

I guess the savings of catless go out the window if I have to get the protune and can’t run the rest of the year on a custom ETune oops ..
Old May 17, 2019, 07:59 PM   #5966
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Going catless sucks. It smells SO bad. With high flow cats you don't even lose any power.
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 08:40 PM   #5967
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I dunno. I’ve been around numerous catless cars and they barely smell.. buddy’s STI is the most faint smell, and my roommates Golf R is the same. The Golf sat for a week (he’s deployed and I start/drive the car once or twice a week) and I’ll smell it a little on start up but that’s about it. That’s a roughly 380whp monster Golf R too.

Hi-flow cats still have a small bit of power loss. It’s negligible, about 5hp, but I’ve heard turbo spool is slightly quicker with catless.

Regardless, I went catless mostly for cost savings, not for power purposes. I also like the tone of the catless over the catted. I hate the fact that the FA20s can sound sorta Honda-ish due to the Equal Length Headers .. catless gives it a bit of raspy rumble that the tone of the car lacks right now.

Last edited by Nunz : May 17, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old May 17, 2019, 08:42 PM   #5968
Roadhog_
Sausages

Roadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog_ can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I dunno. I’ve been around numerous catless cars and they barely smell.. buddy’s STI is the most faint smell, and my roommates Golf R is the same. I smell it a little on start up but that’s about it.
Wait till you're idling around in traffic for a while and the wind starts blowing your exhaust into your open windows on a nice sunny day...

What's the big deal with cats? Minimal power loss, smells better, much better for the environment, no tickets for no cats...
Roadhog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 08:50 PM   #5969
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I expanded on that in my edit, sorry. I have nothing against cats, but we’re talking about an extra $400 for the same part.

Tbh, couldn’t care less about the environmental aspect of it. I recycle, I don’t litter .. if I wanna run catless, I don’t feel bad about it. There’s enough losers driving Prius’ to make up for it
Old May 17, 2019, 11:38 PM   #5970
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Hey Nunz, can you tell me more about the Golf R? What do you think about it?

I'm actually driving 3hrs tomorrow to Chicago to test drive two vehicles (along with a couple others). A Mk6 Golf R and a Mk7 GTI. The Golf R looks like a lot of fun, but I have to go back to a MK6 to afford it. GTI seems like it will be a lot more nimble/fun to drive while the Golf R would also support more power with the AWD and winters would be a blast. I looked at APR tunes today, so I'm somewhat familiar with them. Application is basically a daily driver that I could play with a little, be reliable, and have fun driving. Nothing crazy.