Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:44 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Odiumvex
Radeon R420

Odiumvex is still being judged by the masses

Default Finally upgrading soon.

So I'm currently running an old ass i7 920 with slow ass ram since 2008 or 2009. Forgot what ATI card i got i i with it (5870) ??? over the years i put in a r9 280x then now currently an RX 580.

Decided to go pretty hard with the release of Ryzen 3. Was thinking the 3850x with the speculation that's out there. Then i learned about GPU bottle necking .. which i didn't realize is a thing.

I plan to play at good old 1080p and tweak settings. But Im assuming anything is getter than my 920 at this point.

My question is this, if money isn't a issue setting up my base for now. Will i regret getting something less and maybe getting a moderation GPU with say a cheaper 2700x cpu?
Odiumvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You have a little over a month before AMD announces Ryzen 2 so I would hold off as the landscape is about to change. Also Navi 10 will be announced as well so there will be a lot of options available.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
You have a little over a month before AMD announces Ryzen 2 so I would hold off as the landscape is about to change. Also Navi 10 will be announced as well so there will be a lot of options available.
I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't buy anything until then unless something breaks, and you have no choice.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't buy anything until then unless something breaks, and you have no choice.
I'm with you two too. Just wait if your pc works just fine until Zen 2 finally comes out.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Hardwood
Radeon Evergreen

Hardwood is still being judged by the masses

Nobody has answered your question yet so I'll give you my 2 cents.

Bottlenecking - Shmottlenecking!!! - that's one cent.

This is simply a term to get you buy the best of everything at once. IMHO. It will never go away as there's always some kind of "bottleneck" when you consider that each game requires different abilities from your computer.

The other cent..

The RX580 is a highly stable no nonsense GPU and until you go to 1440 or above there's no real reason to change it for 1080p gaming
As for the cpu, my 8350 with the 580 is Ultra in most and almost Ultra in many of my games in 1080p @ 60fps. If I add any newer Ryzen CPU it would be maxed Ultra with no tweaking. It might not have a gazillion fps (I'm a locked fps person) but if it can match your monitor's refresh then it's smooth sailing at low temps.
So.. As you know and as the others have suggested you have no choice at the moment. It's wait and see what comes on sale when Ryzen3 is released and what flavours it comes in, which memory is best with whatever is the best motherboard. Ugg. sounds expensive.
<---Computer #1 in System Specs Button

Computer #2) MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 Ram (R938G2130U1K), Antec 750w True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Black, Win 10pro x64
Computer#3) GA-MA790FX, AMD 955, Thermaltake 550w, ASUS HD5870, Win10pro x86
Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:57 PM   #6
Odiumvex
Radeon R420

Odiumvex is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood View Post
Nobody has answered your question yet so I'll give you my 2 cents.

Bottlenecking - Shmottlenecking!!! - that's one cent.

This is simply a term to get you buy the best of everything at once. IMHO. It will never go away as there's always some kind of "bottleneck" when you consider that each game requires different abilities from your computer.

The other cent..

The RX580 is a highly stable no nonsense GPU and until you go to 1440 or above there's no real reason to change it for 1080p gaming
As for the cpu, my 8350 with the 580 is Ultra in most and almost Ultra in many of my games in 1080p @ 60fps. If I add any newer Ryzen CPU it would be maxed Ultra with no tweaking. It might not have a gazillion fps (I'm a locked fps person) but if it can match your monitor's refresh then it's smooth sailing at low temps.
So.. As you know and as the others have suggested you have no choice at the moment. It's wait and see what comes on sale when Ryzen3 is released and what flavours it comes in, which memory is best with whatever is the best motherboard. Ugg. sounds expensive.
That makes me feel better, 1080p is my jam. Actually would want 1080p 144mhz but current monitor is doable at 60. Yeahhh it will be expensive :/ plan to move to M.2 at that time too and I can see ram being silly on top of that.
Odiumvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Once you move out of 1080p (which you people are insane for even still being there, omg the jaggies) you're whole build will change lol. For now get the best motherboard and processor you can buy (amd ftw) and worry about the video card later on as at that point... You will be gpu limited.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2019, 08:25 AM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

The longer you wait, the more impressive the upgrade will be.

I have not normally been disappointed by upgrading when new consoles are released, so my computer will always be banging in comparison.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 04:51 PM   #9
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I would just get the best CPU you can afford. You can probably use it for years and will be replacing the graphics card many times. Even if you are GPU bottlenecked now, who is to say what will happen in the future?

That being said, I'd wait for Ryzen 3000 series to release, and don't get anything less than a six core if you want any sort of longevity out of it (eight core would be better).
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote