Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:07 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Author of Witcher books, that the game series is based on, is bitter

He agreed to a $100,000 deal with CD Projekt when giving permission for them to make games based on his books. They offered to give him a percentage of the sales, but he refused it and said he wanted a 1 lump sum, so he agreed to $100,000.

And now he is bitter. Stating that his books are the reason why the games are so popular and that the games actually negatively effected his sales of the books.

He admits he made a stupid mistake of taking the 1 lump sum instead of the percentage of sales.

Here is a video talking about it

What are your thoughts?
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:24 AM   #2
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Tough s**t old f**k.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:25 AM   #3
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

How could the games have possibly negatively affect his books sales? I know multiple pople who bought the books to read after playing the game, i do not know a single person who knew of the books before the game...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:34 AM   #4
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:36 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Sounds like a moron. I've been wanting to grab the books but might just avoid that now. CDPR offered him a percentage and he decided on a lump sum of $100K. I hope he's not trying to spin this as CDPR are bad guys. He made a **** business decision.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 02:15 AM   #6
KAC
RGB mofo, do you have it!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

lol pwnt.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 02:32 AM   #7
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Sounds like a moron. I've been wanting to grab the books but might just avoid that now. CDPR offered him a percentage and he decided on a lump sum of $100K. I hope he's not trying to spin this as CDPR are bad guys. He made a **** business decision.
The guy has sounded bitter in previous interviews too. Downplaying the games and their story in a way that made it seem like he thought they were a joke (like no way would he get deign involved in the story of the games). I think the guy just has a bad attitude. He should have taken the percentage and also asked to be involved creatively. Instead he took a lump sum, obviously thinking the game would probably just flop, and now he's upset about it for some reason.

The world in the Witcher is cool and all, but it's not that unique. Basically his books would never have been read outside of Poland or wherever he's from had it not been for the games. It certainly has to have helped sales of his books. I'd say the success of The Witcher is probably 20% the setting, and more like 80% CDPR's work in creating good games.

The author has always sounded like a miserable person who is griping about a good situation. He should be happy his ideas are out there to a larger audience, regardless of the financial benefit to himself.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 03:32 AM   #8
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I know in the past that his books were being sold with cover artwork from the games, and that really bothered him. I really do think that it bothers him so much that his books have become a big success because people found about it through a video game in which he feels are not art, so he is in denial about reality, his ego was hurt and he feels stupid for not taking the percentage deal.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 03:52 AM   #9
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah I can't say that the relationship there is good. Pretty sad really since he was the one who created the character and the world. CD Project Red took it to great places though.

The only reason I bought the last wish was because of the games. His logic is complete nonsense.

Now I need to get the Metro books.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:06 AM   #10
Hadberz
Radeon R200

Hadberz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
the games actually negatively effected his sales of the book
Total nonsense. I bought the books because of the game. Never would have heard of them without the game.
Hadberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:08 AM   #11
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post

What are your thoughts?
Could those two ****ing skanks be more annoying?

I could listen to them for 15 seconds before I wanted to physically punch them both in the face.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 09:32 AM   #12
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

is that from the first game?
He justed wanted a hundred grand?
Who is he, dr evil?
Ill hold the world ransom for one hundred thousand (ugh, you mean million?)
One million dollars!
He lost out on one of the most awesome stories in gaming as of late, small dev making it big time. I am sure the guys at projekt red were nice, why didnt he listen? Does he mention that in the video, why? Did he have some drugs to buy real quick? Had to get some vodka?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah, it's kind of weird he wanted a lump sum. It seems like a percentage of sales is usually how something like this would be structured by default. That's also the most cooperative arrangement because if the game does well, he does well. If the game does poorly, he doesn't get anything, but neither did the devs lose 100K on licensing his property. So, I think his choice of a lump sum probably reflected the same negative attitude he's still presenting.

Reading between the lines I think that what happened is this:

This is a man who has a general disdain for computer games, and probably doesn't understand them or realize it's a huge industry.

CDPR came to him and wanted to use his IP for their game. A nice guy would have said, "Hey, you want to use my stuff? That's great! Take it, and see what you can do, and I'll take a cut of the profits. This can only benefit me by getting publicity for my series, and maybe it will pay off too."

Instead he takes the attitude of "Look at these clueless schlubs! Yeah, sure, you can use my stuff, but you've got to cough up 100 grand!" figuring the game probably will fail anyway, so he'll squeeze a tidy sum out of them, provided they're stupid enough to pay it.

But then the game does well and the joke's on him. Now CDPR is making a lot of money off his idea and he looks and feels like an idiot. But it's really more like karmic payback for him taking an adversarial view of the whole enterprise from the start. He chose to hold a small start-up developer up for $100K, instead of taking a cooperative role where they both stood to benefit equally. Then rather than being a good sport about it, and trying to make lemonade out of lemons (it's got to still be benefiting his sales), he instead goes around griping like a sourpuss.

I basically have no sympathy for him, and based on his attitude I won't read his books either.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:38 AM   #14
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
He agreed to a $100,000 deal with CD Projekt when giving permission for them to make games based on his books. They offered to give him a percentage of the sales, but he refused it and said he wanted a 1 lump sum, so he agreed to $100,000.

And now he is bitter. Stating that his books are the reason why the games are so popular and that the games actually negatively effected his sales of the books.

What are your thoughts?
TIL the game is based on a book.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:30 AM   #15
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

He's been bitter for a while. The guy basically thinks there's no merit in video games and that they're totally unpopular.... now he thinks his books would have been ultra popular if the games weren't made, which only demonstrates that he has no understanding of how marketing works

He made a bad decision and I do feel a little bad for him about that, but then he acts like a pompous, bitter, ass and I stop feeling bad for him.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 AM   #16
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Jkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'll be bitter too if I had left so much money on the table.
Jkmetal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:48 AM   #17
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Maybe he was just in a bad spot financially when CDP came to him to buy the rights to make a game off of his books. At the end of the day he just made a bad business decision and is probably super salty about it. Never do a lump sum even if they initial amount is super small.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:12 PM   #18
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

and hardly no one would have even heard about the books. Like there was this giant theater of people waiting at his house to buy the books, lets say 1 million peoiple. then they all heard about the video game, and left to go play it?

Gimme a vreak , this guy. any press is good press, and he shouild be happy people know who he is now. he should be riding this and expand on it. poor dude, butthurt
Old Apr 20, 2017, 02:58 PM   #19
Higgy10

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

before witcher 1, never heard of the guy. after witcher 1, bought all of his english books

stopping crying and translate the rest if you want more cash
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 03:02 PM   #20
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'll take a cut of the profits. .
That's almost always a loser's deal. Take a cut of GROSS REVENUES, SALES, ETC... not profit. Accountants have ways of making sure that even highly successful enterprises somehow lose money on paper.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 04:36 PM   #21
Ne0Griever
Radeon Arctic Islands

Ne0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete strangerNe0Griever once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hope this doesn't mean no more Witcher games.
Ne0Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 04:41 PM   #22
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0Griever View Post
Hope this doesn't mean no more Witcher games.
He sold the rights for an indefinite time.
Quote:
Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:51 PM   #23
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

He "played" the game and lost...this is real life so no do-overs. There was no guarantee the game(s) were going to be that good and profitable.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:30 PM   #24
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Lump sum was the "smart" thing to do. Medieval themed hack-and-slash based on an obscure Polish fantasy novel will turn a profit? Yeah, right.

Also, Witcher 1 was a horribly broken mess of code on release. It would have died in the bargain bin had CD Projekt not sunk $1 million into the massive Enhanced Edition patch.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:46 PM   #25
yoz
The Garbage Man

yoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete strangeryoz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Should've made it a lump sum PLUS royalties..
  • Play the classics
  • Vista/XP Compatible
yoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:43 PM   #26
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Make your choice, live with the consequences, and don't bitch about it: That's life.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:44 PM   #27
Eisberg
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Make your choice, live with the consequences, and don't bitch about it: That's life.
How does that work out for you considering all the bitches you have to deal with?
Quote:
Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:48 PM   #28
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
How does that work out for you considering all the bitches you have to deal with?
Yeah, but my bitches love me unconditionally.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 03:28 AM   #29
sygnus21
Single card only :)

sygnus21 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

He admits he made a stupid mistake of taking the 1 lump sum instead of the percentage of sales.

What are your thoughts?
Man up and live with the business decision made. Seems to me the author gambled and lost and is now crying. Sometimes greed works against you.

Hind sight being what it is, perhaps the wiser decision would have been to take both cash and a percentage. Too late now.
sygnus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 09:56 AM   #30
Ravens Nest
R380

Ravens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete strangerRavens Nest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I thank him for the great characters, locals and monsters that he created without him there would be no Witcher 1-3 and beyond.

But tough titty lol