Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Stilgar1973
Please don't Ban!

Stilgar1973 is still being judged by the masses

Default How much is DSL really worth?

I am having a moral dilema.

Currently I get Direct TV with ALL the trimmings (all the channels) and I pay $104/month.

My telephone package is: Normal long distance (7 cents a minute I think....), caller ID, call waiting, voice mail, three way calling. Unlimited local caling (yipee) but nothing special for long distance. I don't get any free long distance at all.
My DSL package is: 3meg down/768 up, static IP address, earthlink as the ISP, truly unlimited downloads and uploads (as in I have never been given any crap for how much I upload or download, never, ever.)

The telephone package + Internet package is on the same bill and that is $115/month.

My cell phone is a different bill entirely. FWIW: I get really crappy cell phone access inside my apartment. Using the cell phone for all my calls really isn't an option.

The cable company around here really isn't a good deal.
If I got all there channels + there bestest cable modem service I would pay $ 139/month.
Then I could completly turn off my telephone and pick up Vonage for an additional $25/month.
Vonage gives you everything my phone currently has (caller ID and services) + unlimited nationwide longdistance all for that $25/month.

That means I would end up paying $164.36 for the complete package, TV + Phone + Internet.
I would save $54.64 a month.

Thing is.......

I used to have this company. I got rid of them for a reason. The cable modem really sucked. When all the little kids would get home from school the bandwith would drop off the scale. It would sometime go down to 56k levels.
And there tech support is the worst. It is absolutely awful. You can't even imagine the stupid tech problems I have had with these guys in the past.

One day I had bill problems and they turned me off for lack of payment. This was like 3 1/2 or 4 years ago. After 9 months went by and I got my crap together I thought long and hard about the TV and went with DSL + Direct TV.
Price is what it is. But from a technical standpoint I couldn't possibly be happier.

My direct TV experience has been superior to my Cable TV experience. My DSL experience - oh my god, it just destroys my cable modem experience.
I go to the cable companies home page and they have some sort of strange tiered broadband packages that I don't understand. I have no idea what they are. I think they are claiming to offer like 8megs down on the most expensive package. I am having trouble believing this after my last experience with them.

My parents just moved and they didn't have a telephone turned on. They got the cable company's broadband modem and went the Vonage route and they claim to be really happy so far.

I am just trying to figure out what is more important. That $56/month I could save or my DSL happieness.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:31 AM   #2
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

I had the exact opposite experience in my area comparing DSL to Cable. Comcast has always been pretty good to me, and gotten their stuff fixed in a timely manner, etc..

As far as bandwidth goes, when the kids come home etc, I dont notice any drops in speeds where I am at. (Im sure in my area there are not tons of users, but enough to maybe notice a difference Im sure)..

Perhaps when you tried cable the first time, they were stretching their network limits just to supply service? So that when it was under a heavy load, their network slowed and suffered?

I'd say it really depends on the area, and how their equipment is, and their network loads..

I have only 2 companies that can supply me with broadband. Comcast Cable, and Qwest DSL. The DSL was horrible (Im sure everyone remembers how the CS:S server ran on it.)

Anyway.. Yeah. Qwest's network in my area is teh suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:35 AM   #3
magicknight0233
Radeon Arctic Islands

magicknight0233 is still being judged by the masses

Verizon DSL > Comcast Cable
magicknight0233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:37 AM   #4
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicknight0233
thats what i got at home... love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:42 AM   #5
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Explain?
Quote:
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Not from my experience.
Currently paying $29.99 for 6 months for the:
6 Mbps/768 Kbps package.

I always hit 700+ KBps on my downloads
My uploads are always ~ 100 KBps.
Never slows down during gaming, never lags, always up and running at full speed.
Ive had cable for ~ 2 years now, and at the end of every 6 months, they still give me the promotional deal for new customers everytime.
Cant hate on the performance, price, or the service.

Last edited by Hamidxa : Jul 29, 2005 at 02:10 AM.
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:38 AM   #7
AgentOtaku
Also Sprach Zarathustra

AgentOtaku is still being judged by the masses

Up here in Alaska, recently switched from GCI Cable to ACS DSL

My cable service was great, but because we live in Alaska, they have caps on max downloads

this is t3h suk, and I was getting slapped with huge fees at the end of the month when I would go over my limit

so moved to ACS DSL where, obviously, there is no caps and I'm paying for the same service
P4 3.0GHZ HT/Windows XP; BFG 6800GT OC 256mb; 2gb Kingston/Corsair PC3200 DDR 400; Sound Blaster Audigy2; Samsung 80gig 7200rpm HDD =x2; Samsung 52x CDR/CDRW ; NEC DVD DL Burner; Abit IS7 - E Mobo; 172x Samsung LCD; Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case; Logitech MX510; Zippy Ultra-thin Eluminated Keyboard

"I never minded piracy. Anyone who minds about piracy is full of ****. Anyone who pirates your game wasn’t going to buy it anyway!" - Warren Spector
AgentOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Stilgar1973
Please don't Ban!

Stilgar1973 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOtaku

My cable service was great, but because we live in Alaska, they have caps on max downloads

this is t3h suk, and I was getting slapped with huge fees at the end of the month when I would go over my limit

so moved to ACS DSL where, obviously, there is no caps and I'm paying for the same service
Didn't you post about this right before the switch?
I think you were all nervous that you were making a bad decision.

How did it work out for you? I'll take it you are happy. Sound it at least.

Did the install go smoothly?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:46 AM   #9
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOtaku

Yeah caps suck.
Comcast doesn't cap bandwidth.
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 02:58 AM   #10
AgentOtaku
Also Sprach Zarathustra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar1973
Didn't you post about this right before the switch?
I think you were all nervous that you were making a bad decision.

How did it work out for you? I'll take it you are happy. Sound it at least.

Did the install go smoothly?
Yeah, actual transition was hella smooth and convient.

.........though I haven't actually received my DSL modem yet

I have to wait until the end of this month to turn in my Cable Modem and pay the bill, then I can pick up the DSL and my service will start

but I predict I'll be happy

But everyone I work with and spoke to up here all started with GCI, then found out about the caps. Then promptly switched to ACS and they've had zero complaints
P4 3.0GHZ HT/Windows XP; BFG 6800GT OC 256mb; 2gb Kingston/Corsair PC3200 DDR 400; Sound Blaster Audigy2; Samsung 80gig 7200rpm HDD =x2; Samsung 52x CDR/CDRW ; NEC DVD DL Burner; Abit IS7 - E Mobo; 172x Samsung LCD; Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case; Logitech MX510; Zippy Ultra-thin Eluminated Keyboard

"I never minded piracy. Anyone who minds about piracy is full of ****. Anyone who pirates your game wasn’t going to buy it anyway!" - Warren Spector

Last edited by AgentOtaku : Jul 29, 2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:16 AM   #11
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Videotron Cable is the fastest option you can have in Quebec. I'm running 6000/836 I believe. They do have caps(20GB/10GB) and it's a deal breaker for many. But since I download all stuff at work where we have a 20Mbit pipe, cap at home isn't important to me.

You also have Bell DSL which is unlimited, but it is slower, plus I couldn't play any online games with it without a very noticeable lag.

I'm not sure if there's anything else available in QC, but I don't think there's much(if someone knows decent alternatives to Videotron, please let me know). I have TV + Cable service from Videotron and my monthly bill for both is $80.37 CAD. Not too bad I think.

Last edited by P1x44r : Jul 29, 2005 at 08:20 AM.
P1x44r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:21 AM   #12
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

DSL are worth EVERY PENNY
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:32 AM   #13
Honsy
I killed the RLD

Location: Canada The wrong side of Insanity a.k.a. Mississauga, ON
Honsy is still being judged by the masses

I've got the Bell 3Mb package, non-contract, which runs at $40 a month for the first year and to it's regular $45 a month afterwards. The only other options in my area are Rogers Cable (Very low cap) and Primus DSL (customer service sucks). This is the third time I've gone with them (once in my appartment in university, at my parents house and my new house) and I've never had a service outage.

Join Team Rage3D Folding and help make science happen.
Learn more
Honsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 08:42 AM   #14
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

I have verizon DSL, I pay $38 a month. The speed is alright, real world numbers are 87Kb down, and about 14Kb up.

The verizon guys here are jackholes though.
Cable can't be had unless you get the tv service, and I don't watch tv.

Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:11 AM   #15
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

I guess MagicK didn't care to explain.

I personally feel Comcast has a tough package to beat. I have had a business line of theirs for quite some time now. I as well, have a "buddy" on the inside (hehehe) that hooked me up with a slightly modified "boot loader" for when you first fire up your modem.

I get a bit more than 8meg down and a touch over 1meg up.

The only other provider Qwest at MOST will give me 3 meg down, but "they" told me on the phone I could purchace 2meg up for not much more money. I tried it along side the comcast (for the CS:S server).

Did NOT work as advertised. It was the slowest, laggiest connection I have ever had the sad misfortune of using.
Quote:
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:24 AM   #16
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
I guess MagicK didn't care to explain.

I personally feel Comcast has a tough package to beat. I have had a business line of theirs for quite some time now. I as well, have a "buddy" on the inside (hehehe) that hooked me up with a slightly modified "boot loader" for when you first fire up your modem.

I get a bit more than 8meg down and a touch over 1meg up.

The only other provider Qwest at MOST will give me 3 meg down, but "they" told me on the phone I could purchace 2meg up for not much more money. I tried it along side the comcast (for the CS:S server).

Did NOT work as advertised. It was the slowest, laggiest connection I have ever had the sad misfortune of using.
Holy moly 8meg down...

*drool*
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:13 AM   #17
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
I have verizon DSL, I pay $38 a month. The speed is alright, real world numbers are 87Kb down, and about 14Kb up.

The verizon guys here are jackholes though.
Cable can't be had unless you get the tv service, and I don't watch tv.

Yea, I get between that, 87KB-150KB down and 14KB up. Why do you pay $38? It's only $29.99

I think it's $20 now with a new service for a month or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:41 AM   #18
H2VO
genetically different

H2VO is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
H2VO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:51 AM   #19
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax
Yea, I get between that, 87KB-150KB down and 14KB up. Why do you pay $38? It's only $29.99

I think it's $20 now with a new service for a month or 2.
The bastards.. Originally, it was $29 for the first year, and then the price went up to $38. So we called to see what the deal was, and it was suppose to be $34, so for two months, they charged us $34, then the next bill it was raised back to $38. This asswipes don't know how much to charge, only that they need to charge more then what they orignally said.

Sadly, its the only provider in my area other then cable.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:29 PM   #20
shasha
Meatwad

shasha is still being judged by the masses

I have only really had cable for broadband. Both times have been good, once in Germany and now in the states with Comcast. I pay about 1/4 of the price for twice the BW and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. 3MB/S is plenty for me.
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:09 PM   #21
AgentOtaku
Also Sprach Zarathustra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha
I have only really had cable for broadband. Both times have been good, once in Germany and now in the states with Comcast. I pay about 1/4 of the price for twice the BW and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. 3MB/S is plenty for me.
you lived in Germany???

Old Jul 29, 2005, 03:49 PM   #22
pink_pants

pink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channelpink_pants once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfowler
pink_pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 04:00 PM   #23
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I had Verizon DSL...it is excellent broaband stable speed as well.

But I want Verizon Fios broadband.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:11 PM   #24
Bartletts
Radeon R600

Bartletts is still being judged by the masses

I've got Comcast at two different houses, one house I can DL demos or something at 3dgamers and other sites at 800kb/s, at the other its around 300kb/s. Comcast is a pain to set up though. Install our POS software, oh wait there is an unexpected error, please call comcast. Annoying.
Bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:01 PM   #25
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartletts
I've got Comcast at two different houses, one house I can DL demos or something at 3dgamers and other sites at 800kb/s, at the other its around 300kb/s. Comcast is a pain to set up though. Install our POS software, oh wait there is an unexpected error, please call comcast. Annoying.
You can call their support and they can bypass that software.. I hate that crap.
Quote:
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:09 PM   #26
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfowler
I think myself and your fiancee are the only ones who got that ..
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:10 PM   #27
Bartletts
Radeon R600

Bartletts is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
You can call their support and they can bypass that software.. I hate that crap.
Thats what I had to do to get everything working, annoying as hell
Bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:16 PM   #28
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

I have time warner.. they treat me great, I couldn't be happier with their service. Verizon has done me no wrong but they did some **** to my family members that makes me wanna cut off my phone service... however, for $25 a month I can't help but to stay with them.

if anyone cares.. they shut off verizon the 22 of June to go with TW phone service... about the 15th of july verizon sent a letter asking them to come back, it went in the trash. On the 20th of July they got a bill for $120, the bill was from july 16 to august 16th, they charge a month ahead. They told verizon "Not only are we not paying but I expect reimbursement for my bill from june 22 to july" and verizon told them to **** off and if they didn't pay the bill for the upcomming month that they were take them to a collection agency. How is that for good customer service? Force you to pay for a service that you didn't recieve? what a load of crap. They said nothing about contracts, so I have no clue why they think my family has to pay for the upcomming month of service

damn, now I'm mad again.. I should go with cable for phone even if it is $20 a month more.

www.eve-online.com
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote