Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:12 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
What voltage is that giving you under load? What’s set in the BIOS is irrelevant as what you get under load changes depending on LLC.
What do you use to read? Because everything tells me something different

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:39 PM   #92
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

AIDA64
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:48 PM   #93
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

CPU Core 1.248 from Aida64

I have it set in Bios to 1.275 at the moment.

edit: Looking at more info in Aida64, decent app might have to buy it.

My CPU is R0 stepping.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Last edited by SirBaron : Aug 22, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 22, 2019, 03:57 PM   #94
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nice. Should be able to get lower
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:05 PM   #95
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm still at 5.0 and -1 for AVX at 1.285v. I haven't had any issues with this setting since I set it up. No BSOD's or errors. I didn't have errors at 5.1 I just didn't like my CPU running in the 80C range. I backed it off for heat alone. It wasn't throwing errors. I just like to keep CPU's cool and I was happy with the performance at 5.0...

Quote:
PC is sooooooooo much snappier now, and gone are the crappy stutters in my games.
You and me both. It really is amazing going from a 4770k to the 9900k.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2019, 04:57 AM   #96
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I'm stuck at 1.248 below that the system becomes unstable.

Anyway after I tightened my RAM timings, I've managed to beat my last ass Creed Origin benchmark, even though my GPU was on stock. So RAM timings + stock GPU beat my, 5GHZ CPU, stock RAM timings, but overclocked graphics card.

5GHZ CPU, stock Ram timings 16CLS 18 18 18 38 and OC'd GPU +50 core + 1300 Memory

vs

5GHZ CPU RAM 3200MHz at 14CLS 16 16 16 36, and stock GPU.

Then with all that I reapplied the earlier GPU overclock back to it's normal.

So with RAM timings tweaked gained 1400 extra points or 12 extra average FPS.

Last edited by SirBaron : Aug 23, 2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 08:59 AM   #97
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
So with RAM timings tweaked gained 1400 extra points or 12 extra average FPS.
What res you running that at?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2019, 09:09 AM   #98
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
What res you running that at?
2560x1080 144Hz at max settings.

I only has a 1660ti so I'm not expecting 144FPS.

Waiting for the 3080 to appear as I want Ray Tracing to mature a bit rather than being a early adopter.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:46 AM   #99
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
2560x1080 144Hz at max settings.

I only has a 1660ti so I'm not expecting 144FPS.

Waiting for the 3080 to appear as I want Ray Tracing to mature a bit rather than being a early adopter.
Can you run that @ 1440p?

yoz
Old Aug 23, 2019, 01:41 PM   #100
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I will try and see if I can select it via DSR.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 02:30 PM   #101
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Same settings except at 2560x1440.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 04:57 PM   #102
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:

Same settings except at 2560x1440.
TY

yoz
Old Sep 8, 2019, 09:59 PM   #103
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Just ordered 32GB 3200 C15 DR B-Die ram. My buddy is buying the RAM I have now with my old 6700K and ASUS board.

Should hit 3600 C15 easy, or 3200 C14.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:56 AM   #104
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What are you hoping to achieve with the ram in terms of performance?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2019, 12:16 PM   #105
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nothing. It's not costing me anything. I did want to get 32GB but other than that, no real gain. RAM doesn't do much for games.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 02:08 PM   #106
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Quote:
Nothing. It's not costing me anything. I did want to get 32GB but other than that, no real gain. RAM doesn't do much for games.
In general but depends if you're aiming for high framerate gaming. like 144hz-240hz. RAM makes the most difference in those situations.

Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:18 PM   #107
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Makes sense then.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2019, 07:38 PM   #108
Nunz
RIP Roxen

RAM is here.

G.Skill XMP:

ASUS auto tweak XMP:

Not sure what's going on w/ my L2 cache speeds just yet. Don't have much time to figure it out right now. ASUS has an auto Samsung B-Die 3600 profile @ 1.6v but that seems really high.

Last edited by Nunz : Sep 11, 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 07:54 PM   #109
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah I'd avoid those profiles for anything but suicide runs.

Up to 1.45v is fine for 24/7. I hear even 1.5v is fine with B-die but I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

First thing I'd do with that kit is try 3600 1.4v (If it fails refer to pm)

Good luck
Old Sep 11, 2019, 08:12 PM   #110
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Send me that link to the OC guide again please, I lost it clearing messages.

No post w/ G.Skill XMP set at 3600 15-15-15-35 1T 1.405v. Getting 4F then A2 post codes.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 09:38 PM   #111
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Try 'mode 1' or 'mode 2' instead of auto in DRAM timing options.

They tighten or loosen sub timings to help stability when OC.

I'll resend PM
Old Sep 12, 2019, 03:43 PM   #112
Nunz
RIP Roxen

3600 15-15-15-35 2T @ 1.4v with SOME manually entered subtimings - please notice just how much speed increase there is from 3200 to 3600 w/ some manually entered subtimings that took 15min to setup in BIOS:

I can't post w/ 1T command rate but it's working good on 2T.

Last edited by Nunz : Sep 12, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:59 AM   #113
demo
space cadet

That's a promising start. Follow that guide and tweak timings and you'll get about the same improvement again. Pretty sure mode 1 auto tightens timings so you can try that in combination with manual tweaking too. You can l I'll Kelly get latency down to 40ish and r/w bandwidth around the 60000 mark.
Make sure to test thoroughly, I passed all manner of mem tests only to get stuttering a week later in some cpu intensive games so had back off a bit.

Last edited by demo : Sep 13, 2019 at 01:04 AM.
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2019, 09:38 AM   #114
Nunz
RIP Roxen

It was working great yesterday then I had CSGO crash twice. Will have time this weekend to do more testing. I’m going to try 3600 w/ ASUS XMP and no secondary timings touched and see if that’s stable first.

I’m running the mem at 1.405v when I push 3600. I wonder if I should try throwing more juice at it ..
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:43 AM   #115
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I wouldn't think it would need more than 1.4V. I pushed mine 400Mhz up to 4Ghz with 1.39V using it's default timings of C16. If you were trying to push 500 or 600Mhz then you would need to go higher, much higher depending on the quality of the RAM. If you are still haveing problems after you mess with the Voltage settings for a while, I would recommend using the RAM XMP value instead of Asus's and increase your VCCIO and system agent if you have not done so already. If you are pushing 1.4V to the RAM then your Mobo is going to need more juice for stable performance. Especially if it was optimized for your last RAM set. I would suggest 1.25 on both VCCIO and system agent and see if it's stable after that. You can always lower them in small increments later for efficiency purposes. ASUS automatically pushes them to 1.4 with it's auto overclocking so I wouldn't think a value in the 1.25 range is going to be a problem.

Last edited by the_sextein : Sep 13, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:32 AM   #116
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FWIW, I had to lower VCCIO and system agent voltages to get 1T command rate to work on my Z370 board. Stock voltages are more stable. The ASRock overclocking defaults were too high. YMMV....
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:53 AM   #117
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Asus's overclocking settings for VCCIO and system agent are way too high as well. I think nunz optimized his for his last RAM set though. Bringing it down to default values with a large OC on the RAM caused stability problems for me. I've had mine set at 1.22v for about a year now with no stability issues but my XMP default was at 1.45 for VCCIO and it was in the red. At 1.22v it is still in the yellow so it's not pushing it too hard and it's remained stable despite me pushing my machine really hard with 20 hour render cycles and gaming in-between them.

Last edited by the_sextein : Sep 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:20 PM   #118
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I run 1.05 for both VCCIO and SA voltages. I might need to raise them up a bit as I had them tweaked for my slow 3200 16CL ram.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:26 PM   #119
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

FWIW, I was somewhat surprised that I got better/more stable performance with lower VCCIO/SA voltages, as I had thought that higher usually meant better. My 32GB G.SKILL DDR-3200 CAS16 RAM had been running at 1T on an earlier Z170 board without issue. Then I switched to an 8700K on ASRock Z370 and it wasn't stable at 1T with the XMP voltages. Now I've got it at 3333MHz, CAS15-16-16-32 1T, which is the best I can manage, given that it uses Hynix MFR.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 03:45 PM   #120
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I've bumped up to 1.12v on VCCIO and SA voltages, which is still quite low, and left DRAM voltage alone. Running the tightened secondary timings that I ran earlier in that benchmark. Going to see if the VCCIO and SA voltages make things more stable, or less. It's not far from stable since it's running Windows fine, just crashing apps every now and then.

ASUS tries to put VCCIO and SA @ 1.45v I had mine manually set to 1.05v which was as low as it would go before causing instability. I think with the extra strain on the IMC due to higher RAM speed and tightened timings, it needs a little boost. We will see what throwing a little more voltage at it does.