Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Biccy
Radeon R100

Biccy is still being judged by the masses

Default Hiper type-r 580w

Is this PSU going to be alright working with a single 7950x2?

About a month ago my old psu died, so I bought this as a nice improvement. But recently I've been considering upgrading my hunk of junk to this :

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
7950x2 (thinking Gainward possibly)

Is this gonna be sufficent?

Thanks for any help, Biccy.
Biccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Biccy
Radeon R100

Guess it was to complex a question to ask on Rage...
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Dandingo
Momma says I'm big boned.

Dandingo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biccy View Post
Guess it was to complex a question to ask on Rage...
Come on Now....play nice.

I would think that it should be sufficient based on the specs of the PSU.
Hiper Type-R 580W PSU Specs

The only thing that worries me is that there seems to not be any PFC on the US models and it is a company that is not really known when it comes to PSU's.

EDIT:I read some reviews over @ New Egg and the customers who purchased one of these PSU's seem to like them. They are also SLI certified, which I'm guessing for you is a big plus. I'm pretty confident it should be enough for what you are planning on building.
EVGA GeForce GTX 285 (648/1476/2484)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

[XBOX 360 250GB Slim + Kinect] [PS3 Slim 160GB]

Last edited by Dandingo : Sep 10, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Dandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Biccy
Radeon R100

Knew that would get a reply

Thanks Dandingo, I'd came to pretty much the same conclusion after reading reviews as well.

Only problem I can see is that the psu's 12v rail is only 20a (I think) whereas Nvidia states something like 26a is necessary. But looking through forums and scoping out other peoples Psu's that have 7950's, it doesn't seem like its a strict guideline.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
7950x2 (thinking Gainward possibly)
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but why would you want two 7950s with that motherboard. That mobo has a 975X chipset. Far as I know, Quad-SLi or even regular SLi won't work on that motherboard.

Also, the power supply by specs should power just fine. However, Hiper to me seems like a company pushing their power supplies by using flash and dazzle to get inexperienced buyers to buy their power supplies. I could be wrong on this, I'm not stating fact, just my observational opinion.

I do know that when Toms Hardware (morons, but they do good power supply tests) did their power supply test, Hiper failed first time. They only passed after they sent in a new power supply and it past on the second round. But considering how many other power supplies passed right away, it was enough to flash warning signs in my head about their power supplies overall quality.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Biccy
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but why would you want two 7950s with that motherboard. That mobo has a 975X chipset. Far as I know, Quad-SLi or even regular SLi won't work on that motherboard.

Also, the power supply by specs should power just fine. However, Hiper to me seems like a company pushing their power supplies by using flash and dazzle to get inexperienced buyers to buy their power supplies. I could be wrong on this, I'm not stating fact, just my observational opinion.

I do know that when Toms Hardware (morons, but they do good power supply tests) did their power supply test, Hiper failed first time. They only passed after they sent in a new power supply and it past on the second round. But considering how many other power supplies passed right away, it was enough to flash warning signs in my head about their power supplies overall quality.
I actually have no immediate plans to buy two 7950x2's (dunno if the x2 at the end there made you think I was). I am however actually planning on getting a Asus P5N32SLI SE Deluxe instead now, just incase.

As for the PSU itself, I've haven't seen any reason to complain yet bar one...it came with a blue Led, which I'm sure neither the main site nor the site I bought it from, mentioned . Kinda annoying after I'd went through the trouble of disconnecting all the bloody leds from my case and cables...

Anyways, cheers for the advice and feel free to nitpick on any other stuff I'm buying.

Currently looking to upgrade to:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
1Gb Gainward Bliss 7950GX2
Asus P5N32SLI SE Deluxe
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800)
X-FI Fatal1ty FPS (wish it wasn't called that but...)
Coolermaster CMStacker 830 case
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Dandingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post

I assumed he made a mistake and meant to type "7950GX2"
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:47 PM   #8
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandingo View Post
I assumed he made a mistake and meant to type "7950GX2"
Yeah, you're right. I looked at it again and see he wrote it twice like that. That was my mistake. Sorry.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:49 PM   #9
Dandingo

Quote:

Currently looking to upgrade to:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
1Gb Gainward Bliss 7950GX2
Asus P5N32SLI SE Deluxe
2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800)
X-FI Fatal1ty FPS (wish it wasn't called that but...)
Coolermaster CMStacker 830 case
Nice choices there BTW.
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:32 AM   #10
gramboh
Casual gamer

gramboh is still being judged by the masses

Just so you are aware, if you are planning on overclocking, the Nvidia boards aren't the best (assuming you are talking Nforce 570/590) they have trouble over 350FSB, which is why NV is halting them quickly and releasing a newer version in a few months. Not sure how NF4 is for C2D. Really though a 7950GX2 will be good for a year at max detail on all games, I'd get the 975X based mainboard.
1x Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA2 + 1x Hitatchi 5K3000 3TB SATA3 (plus another two of same for offline eSATA backup)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer w/ Klipsch Promedia 4.1 and Sennheiser HD570
Antec P182B - Corsair 520HX PSU

Windows 7 Professional x64
3DMark Vantage: 22045 / 3DMark11: 4314

Netbook: Asus 1015PN (Atom 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, NVidia ION2, 10in LCD, Windows 7 Starter)
Now Playing - Battlefield 3, Super Meat Boy, The Witcher 2, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Jamestown, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2
gramboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:37 PM   #11
kona
Radeon R420

kona is still being judged by the masses

I have that combo, no problems at all.
Gigabyte 3D AURORA - Mushkin 580W PS - Asus P5Q-E - Intel C2Q Q6600 [email protected] 3.15GHz - DD TDX , Pro Core - 8GB GSkill PC2-1000 DDR2 - EVGA 260GTX core216 - X-fi Extreme Gamer - Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB HD - BenQ DVD-RW - Saitek Eclipse KB - Logitech G7 - Asus 22" 2ms WS LCD - Windows Vista Ultimate 64
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:33 PM   #12
Biccy
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
Just so you are aware, if you are planning on overclocking, the Nvidia boards aren't the best (assuming you are talking Nforce 570/590) they have trouble over 350FSB, which is why NV is halting them quickly and releasing a newer version in a few months. Not sure how NF4 is for C2D. Really though a 7950GX2 will be good for a year at max detail on all games, I'd get the 975X based mainboard.
Thanks for the info, although I'll probably not end up overclocking to begin with. I'm still crossed between the P5N32SLI SE Dx or the ASUS P5WDH Dx (which I've read runs fine with a 7950 even though its not in the Nvidia compatability list). I might just say screw it to the Sli, which I'll probably never use, and opt for the benefit of having built in WiFi instead. At least that way I can still fall back on crossfire support (or any cracked forceware drivers for sli) if I don't go with the 7950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
I have that combo, no problems at all.
Thats what I like to hear, cheers all