Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:36 AM   #451
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

Funny, my battery life is actually better (Lumia 920), though I did do a hard reset before applying the update
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:20 AM   #452
Rockshocker
Rage3D Veteran

Rockshocker is still being judged by the masses

I haven't taken the plunge with 8.1 just yet. The fact that I can't go back is holding me back. I really like the people hub and the way everything integrates together and I am not sure I want to lose that just yet.
Rockshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 05:58 PM   #453
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshocker View Post
I haven't taken the plunge with 8.1 just yet. The fact that I can't go back is holding me back. I really like the people hub and the way everything integrates together and I am not sure I want to lose that just yet.
It's a preview so don't do it if you don't want to

There are plenty of videos and reviews out there that will set your expectations.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:25 PM   #454
Hannibal Lecter
Rage3D Veteran

Hannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHannibal Lecter can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

http://wmpoweruser.com/how-to-downgr...o-wp8-0-video/
You can go back if you do not mind a hard reset.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:47 PM   #455
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

when is the 8.1 final release date ?
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:07 PM   #456
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
when is the 8.1 final release date ?
I would guess shortly after the first 8.1 handsets are released...which seems to be the may/june timeframe.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:35 PM   #457
Rockshocker
Rage3D Veteran

I am upgrading my phone to 8.1, should be interesting!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 09:51 AM   #458
Rockshocker
Rage3D Veteran

The update process wasn't as clear as it should have been, but I muddled through it and am now the happy recipient of 8.1 and have to say that everything appears to work just fine including the people hub after installing the Facebook app. I will dare say that it even works better with the app now. I love having a functional notification area and a bonus is the calendar looks more useful now.
Old May 2, 2014, 03:10 PM   #459
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So I got a 1520 from work and jesus ****ing christ this thing is massive, it's completely unusable as a phone but good lord is it fast (we'll use them for some information on the field and for cases where we need to consult other people).

Makes my 920 look like Lilliput
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 03:33 PM   #460
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
So I got a 1520 from work and jesus ****ing christ this thing is massive, it's completely unusable as a phone but good lord is it fast (we'll use them for some information on the field and for cases where we need to consult other people).

Lilliput was actually not tiny. It's just the people who lived there who were tiny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilliput_and_Blefuscu

Your 920 must be MASSIVE !!!

Old May 2, 2014, 03:45 PM   #461
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Lilliput was actually not tiny. It's just the people who lived there who were tiny
He was tiny because I say so!
Old May 2, 2014, 07:44 PM   #462
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilliput_and_Blefuscu

Your 920 must be MASSIVE !!!

Don't forget, when the 920 first came out you needed to be a hulking bodybuilder to be able to hold that phone. It is indeed massive, or just fat.....
Old May 2, 2014, 08:07 PM   #463
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

been using my 1520 as a phone since it came out and love it
Old May 2, 2014, 08:11 PM   #464
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Don't forget, when the 920 first came out you needed to be a hulking bodybuilder to be able to hold that phone. It is indeed massive, or just fat.....
I believe the term is... fatssive
Old May 2, 2014, 08:26 PM   #465
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
I believe the term is... fatssive
its not fat, its just big phoned!
Old May 2, 2014, 09:06 PM   #466
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
its not fat, its just big phoned!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old May 3, 2014, 05:37 AM   #467
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
been using my 1520 as a phone since it came out and love it
It's a great "phone" but it's not a phone - it's more like a book - there's absolutely no way I can use it at the same time as I'm doing something else on the field - it's simply too large.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:54 AM   #468
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
It's a great "phone" but it's not a phone - it's more like a book - there's absolutely no way I can use it at the same time as I'm doing something else on the field - it's simply too large.
I don even notice the size anymore and I carry it on jobs- on roofs or in peoples back yards don't get much more in the field

camera plus big screen is great, I take a picture of a a/c units data tag and have the model and serial number in a readable form
and than can hand phone to one of my parts suppliers and not have to worry about if I wrote down the info down wrong

and the speaker phone works much better than my 4s did I can set it down on a unit talk to someone while I work and they can understand me
and battery life is the best I have had in a phone
and i'm not always hitting the wrong key typing, like on it like the 4s

I just put the thing I my back pocket going up ladders , I just don't sit on it
I use this case plus a zagg screen Protector
http://www.incipio.com/cases/smartph...umia-1520.html

I started with a ipad2 taking pictures of a a/c units data tags so this is much smaller, and smaller than the brick phone I had at one time a long time ago

and I can read if i'm waiting on someone with the kindle app just wish B&N would get the lead out and get a Nook app out for WP8, 4s was just to small for reading for me

Last edited by bill dennison : May 3, 2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:10 PM   #469
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

Quote:
I don even notice the size anymore and I carry it on jobs- on roofs or in peoples back yards don't get much more in the field
I'm a paramedic so you can imagine I have my "hands full" on the field and sometimes it's pretty hectic.

The 920 has been a great phone at work though, it's "just the right size".
Old May 3, 2014, 12:41 PM   #470
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I'm a paramedic so you can imagine I have my "hands full" on the field and sometimes it's pretty hectic.

The 920 has been a great phone at work though, it's "just the right size".
not fair to come up with the one of the few jobs that is more "in the field"

well give it some time I think you will get used to it
Old May 3, 2014, 01:01 PM   #471
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

I kinda have to, I don't really have a choice

Mind you; I think it's a fabulous phone, camera is sublime, screen is like life itself and it's fast as.. well faster than any phone I've ever had (from modern smartphones).
Old May 4, 2014, 11:26 AM   #472
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Not sure why but my battery is draining a lot faster all of a sudden.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 12:12 AM   #473
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

8.1 makes the battery pretty bad... Makes my phone hot too.. grrr...
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 02:32 AM   #474
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
8.1 makes the battery pretty bad... Makes my phone hot too.. grrr...
Ive read 8.1 may have some infinite syncing issues with some accounts.

Bad battery life + hot handset....that would mean the CPU and/or GPU is running non-stop in the background when you think its just idling around.
Old May 7, 2014, 01:02 PM   #475
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I guess I'm not only one who had this issue.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 02:33 PM   #476
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Bad battery life + hot handset....that would mean the CPU and/or GPU is running non-stop in the background when you think its just idling around.
Yeah I'm getting a replacement anyhow because the phone has been overheating even before the update.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 11:04 AM   #477
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

noticed my 1520 sucks battery down fast if here drive+ is on in background now even with battery saver I have to make sure I turn it off in background after I use it

and i'm not no 8.1
Old May 17, 2014, 02:49 AM   #478
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
noticed my 1520 sucks battery down fast if here drive+ is on in background now even with battery saver I have to make sure I turn it off in background after I use it

and i'm not no 8.1
Do you have maps saved on your phone, or are you using data only?

I had issues on my 920 with battery usage with Here and listening to music, but by itself, it wasn't too bad.
Old May 17, 2014, 03:26 AM   #479
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Do you have maps saved on your phone, or are you using data only?

I had issues on my 920 with battery usage with Here and listening to music, but by itself, it wasn't too bad.
saved on the phone I also push music by Bluetooth to the car stereo

but it has drained over night siting on the desk a few times that drive+ was still in the background
Old May 17, 2014, 10:31 AM   #480
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
saved on the phone I also push music by Bluetooth to the car stereo

but it has drained over night siting on the desk a few times that drive+ was still in the background
Dang.

I hear there is a Cyan update that is supposed to be coming soonishly, maybe that will help fix the battery drain.

I am assuming you have hard-rebooted your phone as well? When I checked some forums, it seems 8.1 has a tendency to hit battery life so you may be right in assigning blame there