Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default ATI Hybrid Crossfire at the [H]

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

"Hybrid CrossFire is not meant for the enthusiast, but we do think the technology will indirectly benefit enthusiasts in the future, hence our reason for talking about it. That and Hybrid CrossFire is just pretty darn cool technology. Hybrid CrossFire is achieved by utilizing one of AMD’s new integrated chipset GPUs (IGP) and one of their new video cards. That’s right; Hybrid CrossFire utilizes one video card plugged into your PCI-Express slot and is able to join forces with the GPU built into the motherboard chipset."

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:11 AM   #2
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

While the graphics part of this is interesting, could this not directly compete with Ageia? I mean, one main GPU (your graphics card) and the lesser capable IGP acting physics unit. Crossfire can do this AFAIK.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:24 PM   #3
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

good find
I like the possibility to completely power down the discreet vcard when not needed - powersaving and silence.
In that light even monster-power-hungry cards seem acceptable because they use power only during gaming.
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Jas420221
Banned

Jas420221 is still being judged by the masses

Whats the point? Reading the back of my box, my 8800gt is 33x faster than Integrated graphics. How is that turtle going to help anything? Heck I cant even play Quake 3 on an integrated graphics card.

Its like adding a leaf blower to a cars intake system and calling it a turbo. Sure you may get a nominal increase, but whats the point?
Jas420221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:44 PM   #5
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
Whats the point? Reading the back of my box, my 8800gt is 33x faster than Integrated graphics. How is that turtle going to help anything? Heck I cant even play Quake 3 on an integrated graphics card.

Its like adding a leaf blower to a cars intake system and calling it a turbo. Sure you may get a nominal increase, but whats the point?
you are either very "hardcore" or didn't read (no offence meant)
read their forum replies about it, there are some good ideas and Kyle explains things
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarel View Post
you are either very "hardcore" or didn't read (no offence meant)
read their forum replies about it, there are some good ideas and Kyle explains things
No offense taken.

I see its value, for the sub $500 market as they put it. Since Im not in that market, it is of no use to me or my $280 videocard.

I didnt read the replies, just the article. It seems that the integrated chipset is as good as a $50 videocard.

This is the part that concerns me as they have not had a good track record as of late with almost everything listed:
Quote:
AMD will have to be on game profiles and default CrossFire settings like white on rice. CCC will have to function flawlessly and game support will be paramount.

Last edited by Jas420221 : Dec 13, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Arklon
Radeon R100

Arklon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
While the graphics part of this is interesting, could this not directly compete with Ageia? I mean, one main GPU (your graphics card) and the lesser capable IGP acting physics unit. Crossfire can do this AFAIK.
GPU physics is dead, because Intel owns Havok, which means no Havok FX. Even if there was Havok FX, all it would be able to do it effect (pretty much just limited to particles) physics, not gameplay-affecting physics.
Arklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:37 PM   #8
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think it's cool -- nothing wrong with added performance at all.

Quote:
The beauty of this is that we did not have to do anything in the game or have any special profile running in order to achieve this better gameplay. We simply enabled CrossFire and it worked “out of the box” in these games. In fact, in Crysis, we had confirmation of it working without tweaking by noting that
My main concern is the "out-of-the-box" factor with these kinds of features..........so reading quotes like this is nice to me.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas420221 View Post
Consdering the IGP in RS780 is about as fast as RV610/620, it's pretty safe to say that your 8800GT is not 33x faster. Try not to read too much in marketing spin ye know? To put it in a simple visual perspective, if their was ever a such thing as octo fire and crossfire scaling 100%, 8 RV610's in that exact configuration would = RV670 for the most part.

Anyways, it's not really targeted towards enthusiast, although it would still make for a very nice set up for one anyway. From what I can gather, hybrid fire does not use AFR, it plainly off loads some pixel data. Kind of nifty actully and the ability to power off the discrete cards is another neat thing with this.

It's not like you really have a choice to go hybrid fire or SLi. These technologies are closed to Intel platforms.

The way I see it, if I was to get RS780(which I am), and RV670(which I am), I like to think of it as a extra 800+ points in my 3dmark score as well as reduced/free AA hit(2xAA/4xAA box) on varying games and said resolutions. I also like to think of it as browsing the web with only 10 watts of video power.

To each his own.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:42 PM   #10
SteadVéx
Radeon Sea Islands

SteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySteadVéx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I personally would love to have an IGP handling my desktop, then when i play games the dedicated gpu kicks in, seems a much more efficant way, also the gpu's fan wouldn't be on all the time and you wouldn't have to worry about aero causing the temp's to rise to turn the fan on..
SteadVéx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:48 PM   #11
DnL
HD3850 AGP 512MB

DnL is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

This is a very cool feature. Sure not for hardcore gaming but nice for OEMs
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:56 PM   #12
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
From what I can gather, hybrid fire does not use AFR, it plainly off loads some pixel data. Kind of nifty actully and the ability to power off the discrete cards is another neat thing with this.
This is interesting and didn't know this Sound_Card. Is there a link or anything to garner some more insight on this?

To garner additional performance from a multi-GPU stand-point without AFR is very interesting to me.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

AMD

Desktop really not interested, but put it in a laptop and I would be all over it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:34 PM   #14
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

This will be awesome for the HD2900 users.

No power usage for the Big Daddy in 2D, and you get UVD acceleration as a bonus. I don't care for added performance, the power and heat savings are much enough.

RS780 + Phenom "B3" Black Edition... it feels quite like an elegant solution.
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:04 AM   #15
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

It sounds to me like they are trying to scrap what they can of the now lost Havok project and find a way to do similar by themselves.

The original marketing materials on future Havok was that the secondary GPU could be used for a number of offload purposes- such as geometry, physics or whatnot.

Scrapping the need to design a new "standard" physics platform/API, this leaves AMD with a number of options to test out for feasibility. But as AMD is still struggling with simple Crossfire support and time to market with games, this would be a pipe dream at best given their low resources for drivers/profiles.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:01 AM   #16
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

it's funny how hybrid crossfire with a $50 video card was able to let them play crysis @ medium settings (but actual number differences would have been nice!) I kinda wish they could get it to work with their last onboard setup since that's what i have w/ a 1950gt but i doubt it
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:21 AM   #17
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Havok going to Intel might not totally kill GPU physics.
Hellgate for example, uses GPU to do some fluid simulations for smoke effects in DX10.
Ageia could take the opertunety to create a GPU assisted addition to their PhysX API.

I suspect Intel will hold HavokFX back until Larabee is out, should prolly lend itself very well to such applications, and they will have a chance to tailor the support in HavokFX for it aswell.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:26 AM   #18
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Havok going to Intel might not totally kill GPU physics.
Hellgate for example, uses GPU to do some fluid simulations for smoke effects in DX10.
Ageia could take the opertunety to create a GPU assisted addition to their PhysX API.

I suspect Intel will hold HavokFX back until Larabee is out, should prolly lend itself very well to such applications, and they will have a chance to tailor the support in HavokFX for it aswell.
GPU physics is not dead, it's just NOT Havok anymore (Great example of Intel shooting a company in the heart).

Elsewhere, in-house engines like CE2 (Ubisoft's Dunia too?) still try some of the physics on shaders since they're partially merged with the particle system anyway.
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Jas420221
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Consdering the IGP in RS780 is about as fast as RV610/620, it's pretty safe to say that your 8800GT is not 33x faster. Try not to read too much in marketing spin ye know? To put it in a simple visual perspective, if their was ever a such thing as octo fire and crossfire scaling 100%, 8 RV610's in that exact configuration would = RV670 for the most part.

Anyways, it's not really targeted towards enthusiast, although it would still make for a very nice set up for one anyway. From what I can gather, hybrid fire does not use AFR, it plainly off loads some pixel data. Kind of nifty actully and the ability to power off the discrete cards is another neat thing with this.

It's not like you really have a choice to go hybrid fire or SLi. These technologies are closed to Intel platforms.

The way I see it, if I was to get RS780(which I am), and RV670(which I am), I like to think of it as a extra 800+ points in my 3dmark score as well as reduced/free AA hit(2xAA/4xAA box) on varying games and said resolutions. I also like to think of it as browsing the web with only 10 watts of video power.

To each his own.
IMHO that money can be better spent on other things within this organization then strapping a house fan onto a jet for better performance.

I appreciate the life lesson on Marketing (looks to left sees degree in Marketing hanging on the wall... *snickers*). Funny thing when I was writing this I specifically inserted "from the back of the box" as a point of reference that it wasnt my thoughts.

There is a market for everything though, no doubt. I just wish they would shoot for #1.