Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 18, 2019, 07:15 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Default mobo drivers/software updates

I was just thinking what is the current situation with the motherboard drivers and software, who is best at keeping drivers updated for motherboard? Im kind of disappointed my Asus Maximus Impact VII hasn't seen any drivers or software updates since 2016. I would had to turn up to hacks for audio, ME etc if i wanted more than windows basic features.

I know MSI has kept AMD bios'ses good and updated, what about asrock, gigabyte etc? Whats the current feelings who is software king of mobos?

pc-masterrace
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Use Station drivers. That's pretty much where I go.

Your board unfortunately is out dated snow. Pretty much end of life by Asus. Once a newer board / chipset pops up the manufacturer moves on, unless a security concern happens.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 06:37 AM   #3
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

Well, thats why I was asking if any of the manufacturer's are better than others. Someone like Dell or Lenovo supports their products for few years at least..

It can't be that your 1 year old mobo is soo ancient that there's no drivers.. (even though asmedia, realtek etc does update the drivers)

pc-masterrace
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 20, 2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomBomb View Post
Well, thats why I was asking if any of the manufacturer's are better than others. Someone like Dell or Lenovo supports their products for few years at least..

It can't be that your 1 year old mobo is soo ancient that there's no drivers.. (even though asmedia, realtek etc does update the drivers)
I've found Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte too be bad when it comes to supporting the boards. Once a new chipset or new model of board comes out you rarely see a bios update.

MSI is hit and miss.

Evga is on the ball when it comes to updating the drivers.

I've just always used station drivers for the latest and greatest while guru3d forums usually has some awesome unreleased GPU drivers.

For strictly bios updates I usually modify the latest firmware for say, LAN, MEI, Sata/NVME in to the latest bios I can find on station drivers for my board.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

You can't really predict how long a motherboard will be supported. Pretty much all of these motherboard manufacturers are not responsible for the companies that own the chipsets and how often they update those chipsets. Granted, there are other things to patch with BIOS updates but for the most part, the motherboard manufacturers are at the mercy of the chip makers.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

My MSI board came with a tool that reaches out to the chipset mfg sites to look for updates. I still get updates for Intel chipset and audio drivers, and the board is 4 years old. No BIOS updates in about a year, tho, but that's not surprising.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2019, 03:10 PM   #7
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Always go directly to the vendors website, chipset go to AMD or Intel, Network card go directly to the company that made the chip.

I have an evga video card, never once did i download a driver from their website I go directly to Nvidia. Just my 2 cents.
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2019, 08:50 AM   #8
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard stern View Post
Always go directly to the vendors website, chipset go to AMD or Intel, Network card go directly to the company that made the chip.

I have an evga video card, never once did i download a driver from their website I go directly to Nvidia. Just my 2 cents.
I just want to say my first Nvidia card was Riva TNT, so iv done my share of the nvidia driver updates.. well since ever.

pc-masterrace
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

You are on an Enthusiast Forum for PC hardware and software yet you use the Vendor sites for drivers???

Currently using 440.52 for Nvidia since its part of a new Branch.

Current Supported / Beta Driver 436.30
Current Vulkan / WDDM Driver 436.39
Current Insider Driver 440.52
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:31 PM   #10
howard stern
Radeon Northern Islands

howard stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhoward stern can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am not an insider
howard stern is offline   Reply With Quote