Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:27 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Unless they're using DSP tricks I'd be wary of the 38Hz rating on the S3000 Pro. Lots of 6.5" bookshelves say they can go around that area but they're already rolling off by that point. They look nice but doesn't seem to have a sub out option. They also are about 14" deep, same as the bookshelves I have in the living room, you sure they'll fit on a desk?
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2022, 09:06 AM   #92
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My 'desk' is an 8' dining room table so there would be room.

I was starting to lean towards the S3000Pro for a couple reasons but now it's looking like I'll be getting the cheaper S360DB setup instead with the wireless 8" sub.

I had placed an order and was unable to cancel it so at this point I'm stuck with the S360DB unless I deal with the hassle of a return and possibly the expense of shipping it back to Belk. Unable to cancel past 30 minutes, even on a Sunday.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2022, 09:09 AM   #93
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I was starting to lean towards the S3000Pro for a couple reasons but now it's looking like I'll be getting the cheaper S360DB setup instead with the wireless 8" sub.

I had placed an order and was unable to cancel it so at this point I'm stuck with the S360DB unless I deal with the hassle of a return and possibly the expense of shipping it back to Belk. Unable to cancel past 30 minutes, even on a Sunday.
You could always return it by putting it on a FedEx truck with a UPS label on it...
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 17, 2022, 09:12 AM   #94
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
You could always return it by putting it on a FedEx truck with a UPS label on it...
You wicked, wicked man!

I've been pretty bad lately with placing orders, returning things, cancelling, etc. because I can't make up my mind. Maybe this time my minds been made up for me.

I mean if I didn't care about the hassle and expense I could always just go ahead and get the S3000Pro and deal with the return. Wouldn't be the first time now would it? lol

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 17, 2022, 10:13 AM   #95
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I think you'll be better off with the sub model you are getting. My PC speaker's subwoofer had a 6.5" driver and under my desk it kept up with the two 6.5" bookshelves in the living room in the bass department. Obviously being under my desk helped it a lot but that's the nice thing about a separate sub. Yours is already integrated with your satellites so you don't have to necessarily have to play with REW to get things to match.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:18 PM   #96
Riptide

I have a X570 TUF with an optical out. I've never used this type of connection before.

What is up with this? It looks like there is some type of metal shield in the way of plugging in the cable? Manual says nothing about it.

https://imgur.com/a/xgOLCIl

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:41 PM   #97
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's a dust cover, it can be on a hinge or a plug that you have to remove by hand.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2022, 01:15 PM   #98
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Looks like the hinge version TOSlink port. Just push the plug into the port.

(Get your minds out the gutter)

Last edited by Meteor_of_War : Apr 18, 2022 at 01:27 PM.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2022, 08:39 AM   #99
Riptide

Thanks guys. Lots of pluses and minuses to the various options. Part of the challenge in choosing something is knowing what compromises you want to make.

For example, S3000pro would work pretty well on my desk in our living room sitting next to the 77" TV I use for a display. We sit 8-10' back from it on the couch and watch a lot of content from there. My expectations would be high for the experience there.

However, when sitting up closer, it is likely to be non-optimal. The two satellites (which are big) would be far apart from each other relative to the seated position of the user and also not very far back. In that scenario, smaller satellites would make more sense because they could sit further back on the desk and would be more practical for toeing them in.

In the end, you have to live with whatever compromise you come up with.

AMD Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570+ WiFi
MSI 3090Ti Suprim X
Old Apr 27, 2022, 09:15 AM   #100
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Klipsch just released a new pro-media kit. Seems to be better than the older one in some aspects, but worse in others though.

Biggest oof though is you need a remote (included) to control volume. Why they would they not put a knob on it?

https://www.costco.com/klipsch-prome...100852488.html
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2022, 09:59 AM   #101
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Klipsch just released a new pro-media kit. Seems to be better than the older one in some aspects, but worse in others though.

Biggest oof though is you need a remote (included) to control volume. Why they would they not put a knob on it?

https://www.costco.com/klipsch-prome...100852488.html
If using it on a computer, who cares? Use the volume on the computer to control it.

My keyboard has a volume dial which is a hell of a lot handier than trying to reach for a speaker volume knob (or a remote control) and also easier than the windows volume slider.

If using the TV output, then the TV remote would do the same. Frankly, a volume knob on a speaker amplifier seems unnecessary and rather pointless.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:03 AM   #102
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
If using it on a computer, who cares? Use the volume on the computer to control it.

My keyboard has a volume dial which is a hell of a lot handier than trying to reach for a speaker volume knob (or a remote control) and also easier than the windows volume slider.

If using the TV output, then the TV remote would do the same. Frankly, a volume knob on a speaker amplifier seems unnecessary and rather pointless.
I agree. I actually never touch the volume knob on my speakers. I either use the remote or software volume controls.

That said, YMMV depending on the person. But, does seem like Klipsch made the decision that most people wouldn't miss it.
Old May 6, 2022, 02:17 PM   #103
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I like having a knob on the speakers just to crank the volume up to control where the max volume would be for the software adjustment. Sounds odd, maybe. But I tend to set it right where I want it, then forget about it and never touch it again. Some stuff like Disney content is really quiet, so I may bring it up a notch. But I have it set now with that in mind and haven't touched it in months.

I need headphones now badly. Bro just retired from air force and is going to be living with me for probably 18-20mo while doing some schooling. Ugh...need headphones like yesterday and have no idea what to get. He'll be here on Monday.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2022, 07:18 AM   #104
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I like having a knob on the speakers just to crank the volume up to control where the max volume would be for the software adjustment. Sounds odd, maybe. But I tend to set it right where I want it, then forget about it and never touch it again. Some stuff like Disney content is really quiet, so I may bring it up a notch. But I have it set now with that in mind and haven't touched it in months.

I need headphones now badly. Bro just retired from air force and is going to be living with me for probably 18-20mo while doing some schooling. Ugh...need headphones like yesterday and have no idea what to get. He'll be here on Monday.
I know lots here use headphones so no doubt you'll get recommendations.

Probably comes down to how much you want to spend, like most other audio equipment. I'm not really a headphones guy so i just have a $120 Sennheiser set. Lucky me though i found them at a thrift store new in open box for $20. They sound good enough to me when using a headphone amp.
Old May 7, 2022, 02:56 PM   #105
Mangler
PC

Mangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselMangler exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Speakers being 100% tied to the software volume controls sucks when they begin to get LOUD at 8/100.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2022, 06:39 AM   #106
koralis
Radeon Volcanic Islands

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post

I bought the Epos H6PRO recently and am very pleased. It's a sennsheier gaming brand offshoot. Solid build, sounds good, good mike, exudes "quality", semi-open (they have a closed version also).

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3D&FORM=VDRVRV

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...& FORM=VDRVSR

Buy link... open is considerably discounted right now.

https://www.amazon.com/EPOS-H6Pro-Li...1139a827d&th=1

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2022, 10:48 AM   #107
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

OCN I have some Sennheiser HD560s I'd sell you for a reasonable price if interested. Great neutral sounding headphone. Let me know if you are interested, I only replaced them because I wanted to go wireless.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...?skuId=6433188
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote