Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jan 29, 2021, 07:57 AM   #511
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
that's all kinds of major BS
auto makers are not essential right now

there is no shortage of new cars at any lot i have drove buy lately all over town

more likely of a shortage of new car buyers with most people locked in working form home or not working at all
most people are not buying big things like new cars right now
Seems the car manufacturers have important friends in high places. This affects the allocation of wafers and not to do with the process node. The domino effect is beginning.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-impact-phones
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 08:14 AM   #512
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

BUILD MOAR FAOUNDRIES
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:11 PM   #513
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
BUILD MOAR FAOUNDRIES
TSMC is building up capacity, as is Samsung, but honestly... were ****ed. I kinda feel like in hind sight, we should have all seen this coming when Global Foundries basically bowed out. Leaving only TSMC and Samsung as the big "open" foundries.

Intel stumbling over itself and now ALSO having to use TSMC probably isn't helping matters.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:21 PM   #514
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
TSMC is building up capacity, as is Samsung, but honestly... were ****ed. I kinda feel like in hind sight, we should have all seen this coming when Global Foundries basically bowed out. Leaving only TSMC and Samsung as the big "open" foundries.

Intel stumbling over itself and now ALSO having to use TSMC probably isn't helping matters.
it's going to be 2024 for the TCMC fab in Phoenix before it opens and starts making anything
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:49 PM   #515
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
it's going to be 2024 for the TCMC fab in Phoenix before it opens and starts making anything
3 years in the tech industry is a long, long time.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2021, 01:01 PM   #516
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
3 years in the tech industry is a long, long time.
yea

but it takes that long to build a fab .
Old Jan 29, 2021, 02:14 PM   #517
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Thank god I've got no time for new games and is too poor for fancy new cars.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 08:41 AM   #518
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

SuperGeil is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasef View Post
Thank god I've got no time for new games and is too poor for fancy new cars.
Don't worry, most AAA games are poorly optimized benchmark suites for grossly overpriced video cards these days.
LG 43UD79-B
SuperGeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2021, 06:50 PM   #519
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

My buddy just picked up a 6900xt paired with 5900x, will run it through its paces against 3090
Old Feb 2, 2021, 07:34 PM   #520
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
My buddy just picked up a 6900xt paired with 5900x, will run it through its paces against 3090
Clash of the Titans!

yoz
Old Feb 3, 2021, 08:27 AM   #521
KAC
Dirty humans

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Ask him to run 4K benches.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2021, 07:32 PM   #522
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Ask him to run 4K benches.
It does just fine vs the more expensive 3090 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBb8UF9DKfQ

... even on 8k.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 4, 2021, 03:30 PM   #523
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeil View Post
It does just fine vs the more expensive 3090 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBb8UF9DKfQ

... even on 8k.
Supergeil, this is the reality in the UK ATM regarding the 6900XT. They're selling for £1,399.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/perip...-and-scanners#

Only ships to UK & Ireland now we don't get on with the EU anymore, sadly. So the 6900XT is 10% less than what I paid for my 3090 not £500. Those cards have been on sale for about a week and most 3090's even at £1,900 sell out in a couple of days.

If AMD make more MBA 6900XT's and sell them for £999 the scalpers will just buy them up and sell on ebay for £1,399 for a nice easy profit.

Unfortunately that's reality I'm afraid. Virtually anyone who has bought a 6900XT or 3090 will tell you they've obviously overpaid but they were available, unlike the 3080 or 6800XT.

I'm not defending it I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Feb 4, 2021, 06:11 PM   #524
SuperGeil
Radeon R420

Folding@home

I always like it when you say my name, because it means super-horny.
LG 43UD79-B
Old Feb 5, 2021, 08:43 AM   #525
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

So some Sapphire 6800XT Nitro OC+ at overclockers for £899.99 and £929.99. Strangely they're not flying off the shelves Only difference I can see is one has got some RGB bling and the other hasn't.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/perip...s-and-scanners
Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:06 PM   #526
EYE4LYFE
Radeon R600

EYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming Graphics Card is available right now for $1,519.99 if interested.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-ra...quicklink=true
EYE4LYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2021, 02:59 PM   #527
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE4LYFE View Post
PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Gaming Graphics Card is available right now for $1,519.99 if interested.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-ra...quicklink=true
I just clicked on the link and it shows UK pricing of £1,612.79. That's £50 more than I paid for my 3090.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 07:34 AM   #528
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For the air cooled cards, the red devil seems to have the best cooler out of them all and I suspect the highest demand applies to it which is why the price is so high. Makes the asrock phantom I got look like a 'bargain' lol.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2021, 03:27 PM   #529
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
yea

but it takes that long to build a fab .
And the big question is who pays for it? Here's an interesting article concerning the proposed Samsung fab in Austin.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...uctor-shortage

They want a lot of US$ off the federal and state government so it's going to cost the ordinary taxpayer. If it supplies high paid jobs then maybe the trade off is worth it but it can also bite you in the ass if you're not careful.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 04:14 PM   #530
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
For the air cooled cards, the red devil seems to have the best cooler out of them all and I suspect the highest demand applies to it which is why the price is so high. Makes the asrock phantom I got look like a 'bargain' lol.
seems to have a good board also

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/p...d-devil/3.html

if i can get a full water block for it if needed and it wasn't a limited edition
don't like to buy any card unless i know i can get a block
Old Feb 12, 2021, 05:02 PM   #531
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
seems to have a good board also

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/p...d-devil/3.html

if i can get a full water block for it if needed and it wasn't a limited edition
don't like to buy any card unless i know i can get a block
They make two versions and one is not Limited Edition but they are both limited by their lack of availability that's all. In UK it's about £1,400 so 40% over MSRP. That should roughly translate to $1,500 US$ but it might be cheaper as we always get shafted over here.

Here's the card for you bill water cooling all sorted.

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercol...t-liquid-devil

No price mentioned but one can assume it will be devilishly high
Old Feb 12, 2021, 06:21 PM   #532
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
They make two versions and one is not Limited Edition but they are both limited by their lack of availability that's all. In UK it's about £1,400 so 40% over MSRP. That should roughly translate to $1,500 US$ but it might be cheaper as we always get shafted over here.

Here's the card for you bill water cooling all sorted.

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercol...t-liquid-devil

No price mentioned but one can assume it will be devilishly high
should be about the same as asus 3080 = 1000 usd

https://store.asus.com/us/item/20210...water-block%29

i have not had a PowerColor in years but a 6800 xt Liquid Devil if it's the same ic board as the red devil

and that side of my case has that facing up
Old Feb 12, 2021, 09:25 PM   #533
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

In terms of air cooled the TUF is tops along with the msi... the other ones are generally good too.

The TUF cooler on the 6800 is 25 % heavier than the TUF 3080 so we know they went all out this time with a good amd specific design.

I still prefer saphirre or powercolor due to them having bit better access to amd chips and often better binned ones.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2021, 06:50 AM   #534
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
I still prefer saphirre or powercolor due to them having bit better access to amd chips and often better binned ones.
Is that still true though? With inventory this low you think that's still happening?

yoz
Old Feb 16, 2021, 06:10 PM   #535
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Is that still true though? With inventory this low you think that's still happening?
Tru dat. Need to get my posts up

Last edited by LordHawkwind : Feb 16, 2021 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Why not
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:47 AM   #536
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default ... And because I still check every day and don't even see this much

Now everybody don't all crowd the door for this awesome deal.

Old Mar 2, 2021, 02:30 PM   #537
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have no idea why Microcenter is gouging prices right now. I've never seen them do this before..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2021, 02:35 PM   #538
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

I would bet they aren't as much as you think. I do support the fundamentals of supply and demand... Would much rather the extra cash going back into the industry than to scalpers.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:15 PM   #539
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

And the 6700xt is gonna go for 500$ tomorrow... apparently matches a 3070 so they are pricing it that way.

Man when is this ever going to end.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 01:27 AM   #540
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
And the 6700xt is gonna go for 500$ tomorrow... apparently matches a 3070 so they are pricing it that way.

Man when is this ever going to end.
3070s aren't even being priced at $500 anymore. Ever since the tariff went into effect 3070s have moved up to like high $500s or $600 going by the EVGA site, with 3060 Tis moving up close to the $500 mark (one reason why the 3060 doesn't look like such a bad deal at MSRP despite being unimpressive overall).

At this point a 6700XT for $500 would be a good deal.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote