Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 16, 2019, 01:16 PM   #6181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nunz, get some oil leak tracer and a UV light.

Makes hunting down oil leaks waaaay easier.

Off I go to find out if my oil pump died.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 02:20 PM   #6182
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I don't know the details of the one you looked at, but there are several CPO S3's on Cars.com. Don't limit your search locally. Most dealers these days will ship cars for free (or at worst, it's $400-500 you can put onto the price of the car).
Already talked to my local dealer about it before the previous one sold, they told me they'd try and find another S3 for me. We'll see. It's not looking like anything will happen till next month now anyways.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2019, 02:39 PM   #6183
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Already talked to my local dealer about it before the previous one sold, they told me they'd try and find another S3 for me. We'll see. It's not looking like anything will happen till next month now anyways.
Keep in mind, the dealer is still going to want to get 'something for them' out of the deal. If you aren't getting it directly from their lot, just do the shopping on your own.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 16, 2019, 09:32 PM   #6184
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Keep in mind, the dealer is still going to want to get 'something for them' out of the deal. If you aren't getting it directly from their lot, just do the shopping on your own.
Dealers do sometimes trade cars...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 07:06 AM   #6185
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Dealers do sometimes trade cars...
Yes, but you get charged a fee for the transportation (and its much more than just having a car shipped). We did this with my wife's first Audi.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 08:12 AM   #6186
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Yes, but you get charged a fee for the transportation (and its much more than just having a car shipped). We did this with my wife's first Audi.
Odd. Both of the cars I bought they would have transported either one for free. One was even shipped for free.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:00 AM   #6187
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog_ View Post
Odd. Both of the cars I bought they would have transported either one for free. One was even shipped for free.
Make sure to look in the "fees" that they attach to the deal. You'll often see them drop in $1000 "paperwork fee" and other scrupulous charges to make up the difference. They just won't call it a "transportation fee".
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:13 AM   #6188
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Aren't you guys scared of buying cars that are "shipped" without getting some seat time in them first?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:22 AM   #6189
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Aren't you guys scared of buying cars that are "shipped" without getting some seat time in them first?
Nope...

Most remote deals these days will have a 4-week/30-day return policy. If the deal doesn't have a return policy, then the dealership won't stand behind their sale and you should walk.

I bought my 4C and my race car remote (only seeing photos). My Jaguar, I never test drove any F-Types. The first F-Type I drove was mine when I picked it up. Granted, with the 4C, I had instructed a few already so I knew I fit in it but hadn't actually driven one until mine arrived.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:43 AM   #6190
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ah, I see. I have very little experience with car-buying. I've been to three dealerships and only ever bought one vehicle so far lol

I'll be doing a lot of learning late next year
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:45 PM   #6191
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Not on an Audi CPO, it means they've inspected the car and feel it's good enough to get an extended warranty.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 08:36 PM   #6192
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ahh... My oily pump on the car isn't maintaining pressure at idle hot. Just off idle it's fine...

I'm just going to have to hunt down an OEM pump, these made in China ones are horrible.

Go figure, I finally have it running great too.

Heatware
Old Dec 18, 2019, 06:16 PM   #6193
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Just ordered a Borla ATAK exhaust kit for the RAM. I was torn between it and the s-type kit, but decided to go big. I can't freaking wait to get this thing on the truck.

Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:18 AM   #6194
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Plugged into the OBD2 port and "coded" some things that should have been on the car from the factory that were an annoyance.
  • Turned off Audio Acoustics(pumps engine noise through the speakers) - interior is much more quiet now
  • Turned off amber side markers on headlights(only come on when signalling)
  • Changed various visual things on cluster and headunit
  • Mirrors auto open and close when unlocked and locked
  • Enable opening/closing of windows with key fob
  • Daytime lighting angel eyes at 100% when low beams are on(usually at 20%)
  • Enabled video play during driving for the hell of it(Ive never even watched a video in the car)
  • Brake force lighting(rear lights blink on brake)
  • Car unlocks when engine shuts off... Im not sure why this isnt like this by default. Most cars have this. My most wanted "feature" turned on. Wife hates having to wait for me to unlock the door or double open the door to get out.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2019, 01:43 PM   #6195
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Plugged into the OBD2 port and "coded" some things that should have been on the car from the factory that were an annoyance.
  • Turned off Audio Acoustics(pumps engine noise through the speakers) - interior is much more quiet now
  • Turned off amber side markers on headlights(only come on when signalling)
  • Changed various visual things on cluster and headunit
  • Mirrors auto open and close when unlocked and locked
  • Enable opening/closing of windows with key fob
  • Daytime lighting angel eyes at 100% when low beams are on(usually at 20%)
  • Enabled video play during driving for the hell of it(Ive never even watched a video in the car)
  • Brake force lighting(rear lights blink on brake)
  • Car unlocks when engine shuts off... Im not sure why this isnt like this by default. Most cars have this. My most wanted "feature" turned on. Wife hates having to wait for me to unlock the door or double open the door to get out.
The S3 I test drove had that ****, couldn't stand it. Even with it at its lowest volume it was annoying as hell.

Having to pull the door pull on my E46 twice always bugged the hell out of me.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 19, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 06:51 PM   #6196
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Picked it up from the detailer.

3-year ceramic protection pack for paint, plastics (interior and exterior), rims, leather and other parts of the car. Includes a detailed cleaning and paint correction before all this.

Three days after I left it for the job, this is the result:

Just in time for the summer, starts tomorrow!
BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2019, 02:51 PM   #6197
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

I don't care for white cars, but that is one clean looking ride.

Heatware
Old Dec 20, 2019, 03:06 PM   #6198
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Burping the cooling system and just letting it idle for a bit before the oil heats up and the pump can't keep up the pressure.

Heatware
Old Dec 21, 2019, 01:45 PM   #6199
lmchv
Planet Express

lmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylmchv can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
I don't care for white cars, but that is one clean looking ride.
That's what I was aiming for, I like the contrast between white and black on a car.

More pics, they job quality was astonishing:

BEHEMOTH (Desktop): Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0Ghz + Asus ROG Ryuo 240 | Corsair Ballistic 32GB DDR4-3000 | Dell 2715Q 27" 4K | XFX Radeon VII 16GB | CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P + Asus ROG Thor 1200W Platinum | Sound Blaster Z + Logitech Z-5500 + CM Storm Sirus | HyperX Alloy Elite RGB CherryMX Red + Logitech G700S + Gigabyte Krypton | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD 512GB + 2 x Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB RAID0 + 2 x Western Digital Black 1TB RAID0 | LG BD-RE | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Charquito (Desktop): Asus Sabertooth X99 | Intel Core i7 5930K @4.7Ghz + Corsair Hydro H110 | Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4-2400 | Dell U2713HM 27" | Asus ROG Strix Geforce GTX1080| Cooler Master Cosmos 2 + Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Microsoft Reclusa + Logitech MX Performance | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD + Seagate 500GB | Sony BD-ROM | Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Bloodzone.net Moderator
lmchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2019, 03:10 PM   #6200
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Officially, the first day of winter so I took the Jag out to get gas. It's 50 degrees today so why not. Not a long drive but it was a nice change from the FJ. Supposed to be mid-50's tomorrow so if I don't have much going on, I'll take a longer drive around town.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 04:38 PM   #6201
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Got the Borla system installed today. The sound is amazing.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 06:52 PM   #6202
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Burping the cooling system and just letting it idle for a bit before the oil heats up and the pump can't keep up the pressure.

Way back, I had a GM swift then a Swift Turbo! Fun car!
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2019, 04:59 AM   #6203
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I've been driving the Subaru in this intense cold with summer tires. Catless with the possibility of boost creep due to the density of the air is an especially dangerous game..

It's driving well though, surprisingly. She has a high revving idle on start up but once the stratified start kicks off she goes down to an RPM that makes sense. I enjoy starting the car at 6:10am on a weekend morning when it revs out to 2700rpm on cold starts.

**** my crackhead neighbor
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:56 AM   #6204
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Way back, I had a GM swift then a Swift Turbo! Fun car!
I actually have 2 of the Turbos. Unfortunately it seems 21psi was enough to rip the one engine mount captive nut through the layers of metal, that held it in place.

They are great fun these cars. That one in the video is just naturally aspirated, but it's running 11:1 compression, a barely streetable cam, billet rods, upgraded flywheel/clutch, ported everything, bored out throttle body, etc etc. One of the few FWD cars with the diff actually centered so it's got truly equal length axles.

The turbo is a lot more fun, but this one will easily pull to the redline I set.

Stock it's got 55HP, and I just guess it's got 75HP now. One day I'll be brave and actually put it on the dyno.

Heatware
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:07 PM   #6205
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

A little different from my usual rantings...

Me poking at my Acura... Just doing some port matching since the intake has to come off to repair the starter.

Not the cleanest job but for this I don't need to be super precise.

Starting, on #3/4 you can see the black marker showing where the port needs to open up to:

Almost done:

Before it was just a nice walk of metal jutting into the intake air stream. I just wanted to cut it back some and slope it into the larger port area.

2 to 3 hours to do that... Porting takes a lot of time.

Heatware
Old Dec 22, 2019, 08:00 PM   #6206
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I put gas in it and reset the tripometer.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 05:04 PM   #6207
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Prepping the Subaru to sell her.

Trying to get rid of it before I leave for deployment. Looks like I can net around $16k for it. Most are going for $18.5-19k with 60k miles. Mine has 52xxx, but has a lemon on the title.

I think I can get 16 for it. We'll see. Can't wait for all the 16 year olds to lowball me on a well maintained 305whp vehicle with everything you could ask for; stock parts, winter+summer sets of wheel+tire, brand new sound setup..
Old Dec 26, 2019, 08:24 PM   #6208
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
I think I can get 16 for it. We'll see. Can't wait for all the 16 year olds to lowball me on a well maintained 305whp vehicle with everything you could ask for; stock parts, winter+summer sets of wheel+tire, brand new sound setup..
Good luck! Selling ANYTHING these days is hard work. People lose their minds when they see things for sale.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 06:20 PM   #6209
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Took a day trip up to Hawks Nest snow tubing facility. We took the RAM, and I averaged 19.6MPG. Not bad for a full size pickup with 1800 miles on the engine and 392 gears on a trip that was 30% mountain driving.

I'm impressed.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:40 PM   #6210
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Changed the cabin filter in my wife's explorer. Whoever designed that needs to be punched in the throat! I swear it's next to impossible to get down in there to see the pins you have to pull. Almost took the damn passenger seat out.