Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 12, 2015, 01:35 PM   #4711
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

So being AWD, is it a Suby under the sheetmetal?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:48 PM   #4712
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
So being AWD, is it a Suby under the sheetmetal?
It's a 9-3, not a 9-2. It's a GM Epsilon platform vehicle, so basically a Opel Vectra.

Haldex 4th generation AWD with electronic limited slip, holden HFV6 in 2.8 liters, with turbocharging. Proprietary saab front and rear subframes with saab suspension.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:51 PM   #4713
Quickstrike
Verification Required.

Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Quickstrike once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

That Saab actually looks pretty badass .

Quite the bike toter.

Main PC : Intel Core i7 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS P8P67 Pro, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866-DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Sound Blaster Zx, Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 8TB Seagate Archive, 6TB WD Black, 4TB HGST, 3.0TB Seagate x 2, 1.5TB Seagate x 2, Corsair AX850W PSU, Cooler Master HAF 932, 21" NEC [email protected]

HTPC : Intel Core i5 3570K, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Maximus V Gene, 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600-DDR3, ASUS 5850 Direct CU, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750W, Silverstone SG09B.

Virtual Server : Intel Core2Quad Q6600, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme, Gigabyte P35-DS3R, 16GB OCZ DDR2, eVGA 8800GTX, 74GB Raptor, 500GB Seagate x 4, Intel Ethernet port x 4, Silverstone TJ06.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:02 PM   #4714
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Camshaft+oil pump+2 oil changes worth of break in oil+miscellaneous goodies just got here. I'll start tomorrow after work.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:39 PM   #4715
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Brand new OEM oil pump.

With the proper markings.

Brand new stage 2 camshaft.

Some of the goodies that came in the 37lb box. Included 10qts of that break in oil and two oil filters.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:39 AM   #4716
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My work space today.

Old Aug 15, 2015, 09:24 PM   #4717
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Brand new oil pump installed.

Lifters and bearings for cylinder 1... Little bit of copper showing on the bearings, basically all the lifters are dished.

2 and 3 I believe.

Cyl. 4.

This is what the lobe is supposed to look like, not much wear, still has the original bevel on the sides.

Holy ****.

Holy **** ^2
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:18 PM   #4718
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
It's a 9-3, not a 9-2. It's a GM Epsilon platform vehicle, so basically a Opel Vectra.

Haldex 4th generation AWD with electronic limited slip, holden HFV6 in 2.8 liters, with turbocharging. Proprietary saab front and rear subframes with saab suspension.
Is it the Haldex Cross Wheel Drive?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 06:44 PM   #4719
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just finished the camshaft... That was WAY too much work for my liking, but at least I'll never have to do it again, knock on wood. It's like VW engineered everything in the BEW to be as hard to get to as possible...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 07:59 PM   #4720
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Had an injector tappet thing **** the bed today... I can't win with this car...

Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:32 PM   #4721
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Damn dude that's brutal after all that work. Same thing happened to me finally got my old bmw 325e back on the road after doing a headgasket, and the same day I took it for a test drive I got sandwiched between two cars cause somebody rear ended the person behind me. destroyed my car everyone elses was fine. I could have killed somebody that day. This was like 8 years ago though.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:37 AM   #4722
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Damn dude that's brutal after all that work. Same thing happened to me finally got my old bmw 325e back on the road after doing a headgasket, and the same day I took it for a test drive I got sandwiched between two cars cause somebody rear ended the person behind me. destroyed my car everyone elses was fine. I could have killed somebody that day. This was like 8 years ago though.

Luckily it was a $27 fix, and took maybe another hour. Car is back on the road now, and the one thing I notice now is that my exhaust has started to drone between 2000 and 2500 rpm... Odd.

Cam feels good, but there's still an injector issue. Might be a bad injector, might be a bigger issue. Before the cam the same injector had the same faulty reading.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:39 PM   #4723
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

Why haven't you replaced the injector?
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2015, 04:30 PM   #4724
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
Why haven't you replaced the injector?
Because I just dropped $1200 on a camshaft swap, $2000 on moving into a new place, and don't have $400 to buy a new injector or $150 to buy a used one.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:10 PM   #4725
swingline
Dab on them folks

swingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselswingline exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Subscriber

should have replaced the injector before you bought the cam breh
The man who in times of popular excitement boldly and unflinchingly resists hot-tempered clamor for an unnecessary war, and thus exposes himself to the opprobrious imputation of a lack of patriotism or of courage, to the end of saving his country from a great calamity, is, as to "loving and faithfully serving his country," at least as good a patriot as the hero of the most daring feat of arms, and a far better one than those who, with an ostentatious pretense of superior patriotism, cry for war before it is needed, especially if then they let others do the fighting. - Carl Schurz

RIP Jesse
swingline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:04 PM   #4726
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
should have replaced the injector before you bought the cam breh
The cam affects the injectors the same way as a bad injector can look. Cam was majorly worn, to the point it was dishing out the valve tappets. There's a reason I did the cam, it was very close to catastrophic failure.

See this post:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost...postcount=4717

Those lobes that were worn were worn nearly 1/8".
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:43 PM   #4727
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

New Enkei RPF01 wheels and Potenza RE-71R tires for the STI. Mounting them on the car tomorrow.

Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4728
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

nice wheels, the tires look great. Got some meat on em.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:55 PM   #4729
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
nice wheels, the tires look great. Got some meat on em.
Helping my bro get ready for his first track day!

He's coming stateside for a month of leave and gets here next week. It's been a battle trying to talk him into doing a few things to make sure the track day goes smoothly. The wheels and tires were his idea, though I steered him toward the RE-71R's. He wants to run the car as is otherwise, with OEM brake fluid, pads, etc. I've offered him my extra bottles of Motul 600. So, hopefully...we are swapping fluid in a couple days.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 08:54 AM   #4730
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Cleaned up the Daytona and greased the chain yesterday. Will have about 2700mi on it before the day is over. More miles than I had on the 500R in 2 years of ownership.

Also helped a friend transport his motorcycle and Merkur XR4-Ti he's been working on. Need to get it painted, caged, and a handful of other things yet. Lots of work ahead.

Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:23 AM   #4731
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Changed the oil on the Golf late last night, got that thick break-in oil out of it. What a difference changing oil weight made, it's like a whole different car. Still need that injector of course. Probably get one next payday.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 09:37 AM   #4732
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

First blemish on the Daytona. Had it rained up on a rear tire stand to service the chain this weekend. Only I got lazy and decided to do it near the doors to my garage instead of moving cars and doing it in a perfectly level spot like usual. Well, lowered the bike and as soon as it was down it instantly leaned the opposite direction. Grabbed the bar with both hands and leaned back to stop it, but not before it tapped the garage door track with the tank. Paint is still perfect, but made a small dent/crease.

Another lesson learned the hard way.

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:26 AM   #4733
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Can you pop it from inside?

Also seems like a candidate for the blow dryer/ CO2 trick...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:53 AM   #4734
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Can you pop it from inside?

Also seems like a candidate for the blow dryer/ CO2 trick...
Looking into both of that already. Many modern tanks have multiple layers, so trying to find out what the construction of mine is. As far as the CO2 method, not convinced I want to do that yet. I'd think the extreme cold would make the paint brittle. Don't want to risk cracking or damaging it.

Probably will take it to my dad and see what their body shop can do. If it were on a flat spot, I'd try putting the GoPro suction cup on it and giving it a good pull.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 06:00 PM   #4735
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Getting the Honda ready for Kansas Speedway. Due to the mostly straight track, I've removed the rear wing. I'll be using my "points" to add an aftermarket front swaybar to counter the removal of the wing. Also re-did my tie-downs with stronger grade bolts and washers.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2015, 09:40 PM   #4736
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Your rear wing was giving you that much downforce?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 08:19 AM   #4737
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Your rear wing was giving you that much downforce?
Yes. Unlike most typical aftermarket parts, this wing is design for function and fully tested. Above is some photos of the wind tunnel testing for the wing's design by the manufacturer.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:10 AM   #4738
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Is that your car in a wind tunnel?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:55 AM   #4739
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Is that your car in a wind tunnel?
No, that was the company's test mule back in Japan a few years ago when they developed the wing (and some other aero products). I'm actually considering a different wing going forward; something with less downforce as it really does lift the front quite a bit even with my splitter. It would be better suited for a higher powered S2000 (i.e. FI) rather than one using relatively stock power levels.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:22 PM   #4740
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

Can you not mount the wing further forward?