Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
GRimm862
Banned

GRimm862 is still being judged by the masses

Default Official: "What did you do to your car today?" Thread

I painted my faded side mirrors, door handles and some other miscellaneous things. I took my valve cover off to see that my head has been very well taken care of.

Started painting my valve cover and ran out of daylight. Tomorrow I'll show you guys the finished product, and I will be putting a new valve cover gasket on along with doing a little valve adjustment.

So yeah. These are always decent threads on car forums.
GRimm862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:55 PM   #2
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

dove it to the grocery store where I got honey nut cheerios and three boxes of jell-o for 6 bucks!!!

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:17 PM   #3
GRimm862
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
dove it to the grocery store where I got honey nut cheerios and three boxes of jell-o for 6 bucks!!!
Thats a damn steal. Smart shopping.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

umm, i drove...
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Left it in the garage since I worked from home. I did however order a replacement intake from the 350Z that will be installed tomorrow.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Left it in the garage since I worked from home. I did however order a replacement intake from the 350Z that will be installed tomorrow.
sigh....

I'm waiting for the eBay vendor to send me the right MAF adapter so I can start on my custom CAI....they sent me the wrong size, think it's for a V6 instead of the 8.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:44 PM   #7
GRimm862
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Aftermarket or stock? I bet a CAI on that thing would sound pretty nice.

Heres my valve cover I'm working on, not quite finished.

Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:15 PM   #8
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Detailed the Edge today. Washed and clay barred, switched to the PC orbital for some minor paint correction like swirls and scratches and then applied a polish with sealant. Gave it some paste wax, waited over night then waxed again. Finished with some trim restore and UV protection and cleaned the windows. I used a different brand of swirl remover this time and I'm pleased with the results.

It was a bit bright outside when I took the pictures. I'll have to take some better ones when it's closer to dusk.

Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:07 PM   #9
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Need to remove dealer decal...

Very shiny otherwise.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:21 PM   #10
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Yeah that would be nice if I could remove the decal, but it almost seems like it's painted on. Though I'm pretty sure it's not painted, it's still really on there and I'm not sure how to do it short of sanding and repainting.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Yeah that would be nice if I could remove the decal, but it almost seems like it's painted on. Though I'm pretty sure it's not painted, it's still really on there and I'm not sure how to do it short of sanding and repainting.
heat gun?
if its a sticker thats just really on there a heat gun should loosen it up.
Then you need some sort of adhesive remover to remove residue.
and a plastic razorblade or something similar to help scrape it off.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Grov
Death Comes For You

Grov is still being judged by the masses

Drove it to and from work, then gave it a really good clean.

Still need to repaint the numbers on the gear knob, put me tax disc holder in, and get me new Type R red JDM mats.
Grov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

Tomorrow il be putting on my PLOG and smaller 3.4" Supercharger Pulley!

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:08 PM   #14
ScottDoom
It's Okay

ScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScottDoom can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I drove it around and drooled. Noticed it was making funny sounds when shifting to first, 2nd, and 3rd. Realized I suck at driving manual. Trying to improve.

Shopped around for some audio equipment.
lighting up the dark.
ScottDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:51 PM   #15
Dirty Pete
PC Gaming enthusiast

Dirty Pete is still being judged by the masses

installed four brand new winter tires ... now I hope its gonna snow soon, so I didnt shell out 600$ for nothing
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:26 PM   #16
cmar
Radeon Sea Islands

cmar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
What kinda car do you have?

Takes me 10 minutes to change 6 plugs and put them back in.
Ha Ha, if only

98 Kia Sportage, was my wife's originally, but as the boys grew she nicked my Pathfinder and I got stuck with this.

Actually it's quite a nice engine, a Mazda FE2 twin cam, built under licence by Kia.

(Rest of the car is so so, but essentially we must have gotten a good one, as it is now 200,000K, still runs well, and has been basically reliable, and I've heard of a lot which weren't)

To change the plugs:
- Remove the intake to throttle body cross pipe (Aluminum - 3 bolts, new gasket, new gasket goo) remove the MAF sensor tube, remove the idle air bleed tubes and controller, remove the PCV inlet tube, remove the bracket from the cam cover which holds the throttle, tranny, and Cruise control cables, remove the black plastic cover between the cams (8 bolts), remove the coil low tension leads, remove the bolts which hold down the coils, two bolts per coil (two coils on 2 plugs, which feed the other two plugs with leads) remove the leads from the other two plugs. Use a captive spark plug 16mm socket, and a VERY long extension bar to remove the plugs - they are a Looong way down in there between the cams, - work by feel, you can't actually see them. Put in new plugs (with aluminium release agent on the threads -or else you won't ever get them out again) Replace the two plug leads with new ones, as it obviously gets bloody hot in there, and the rubber gets brittle.

Replace the rest of the crap - done, easy! (takes longer than 10 minutes though)

Now to do the timing belt......

Last edited by cmar : Nov 21, 2008 at 06:34 PM.
cmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 06:51 PM   #17
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Scraped the bottom of the front fender on a HUGE inclined driveway doing a 3 pointer on a narrow road. Who the **** makes these driveways anyways?
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:25 AM   #18
stevetamis

stevetamis is still being judged by the masses

Default What did you do to your car today?

I washed my car today and changed the engine oil of my car. I was looking to send my car into auto garage to change the valve and new set of tyres but due to busy schedule i was not able to do it. I will send it tomorrow. Thank you......
stevetamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:59 PM   #19
exitwound
Radeon R420

exitwound is still being judged by the masses

My odometer stopped working a few days ago apparently. I took the instrument cluster off today to see if there was anything obviously wrong, and there wasn't. However, the worm gear which turns the other gears in there wasn't spinning easily. I backed it up a little, then wound it forward and I heard a snap as if the gears fell back into place somewhere in the contraption. I spun the worm gear 3/10ths of a mile and it seemed to spin just fine. I reinstalled the cluster but haven't taken it for a drive yet to see if that was it. It sounded like the teeth on the gears had become aligned rather than between each other.

Here's a picture of the back of the unit. The arrows are pointing towards the illumination lights. There are 4 screws to remove to allow the odometer/speedometer to pull forward and out.

exitwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:02 PM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I took a scrub sponge and scrubbed three clean circles on my door. I wanted to see if it would make a difference. It did. I now have a mostly gray car with three white circles because I haven't washed it in a year.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Taman Linkin
Rage3D Veteran

Taman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyTaman Linkin can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bring my Z to car wash. Shiny, but not clean enough. Seems like water stain on the hood but cant expect something nice when its a $5 wash. Want to wash myself but with limited amount of water I rather use it to wash myself hehe. And need to drink too.

Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:10 PM   #22
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default a good weekend for vehicle work.

2000 [email protected],000KM
*removed, sanded and painted wiper arms.
*Drained and replaced 5W30 Amsoil and Filter
*Replaced oem Sparkplugs with NKG Platiums
(quite a bit of carbon build up on the old ones, don't remember when I replaced them last. Probably around 150 or so.)
*New reflex wiper blades
*Fixed/Cleaned headlamps with Plastic cleaner/polisher. The difference was quite dramatic.

2000 [email protected],000KM
*Hand Washed
*Drained and replaced 5W30 Quaker State and Filter.
*touched up rock chips.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:53 AM   #23
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Worst part about the gto was not having a sunroof. Never again!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:58 AM   #24
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

**** sunroofs.

Well, I shouldn't say that, I didn't mind opening it when it was cooler out, but in the Summer they're useless for me aside from added light.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:16 PM   #25
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Made an appointment for Friday with the transmission place to swap out my failing transmission with one I'm getting from a local yard that has 78K miles and is only $350.

Total this is gonna cost me about $850.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:43 PM   #26
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
Made an appointment for Friday with the transmission place to swap out my failing transmission with one I'm getting from a local yard that has 78K miles and is only $350.

Total this is gonna cost me about $850.
Is this for the Explorer?
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:56 PM   #27
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Is this for the Explorer?
Yes.

Transmission was not taken care of; 108K with no preventative maintenance. I have hardened seals/gaskets, and after the trans flush it's burning up clutch packs. Cutting my loses and swapping in a tested used unit.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:31 AM   #28
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Car is leaking coolant pretty badly. It's being towed to the body shop that replaced the radiator about 6 months ago.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:54 AM   #29
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

God damn... What is it with the shops in this province are they all lazy bordering of negligent?

This car was professionally repaired at a decent or so I though decent body shop...

The engine mounts were all buggered, rubber was shredded and the motor was swinging around... So I replaced the driver side mount, packed it with some urethane to help stiffen it, carved out most of the passenger side one since you can't replace them and packed it with a solid pound of urethane...

Now on the driver side mount the the holes had been 'opened' up, but the bolt holes sat dead center, the passenger side mount had 2 washers sitting behind it, odd I thought, and the mount rubber was being pulled off center... So I go to bolt up the passenger side mount, but there is a good centimeter of space... Aww ****, those bastards never straightened out the frame...

So 3 heavy 3/8" washers and one M10 washer stacked, and it is spaced properly...

I swear, I've never seen so much shotty work from so many different places... Yes the stub arm still isn't straight to the mount... Ahead of it is some nasty welding, rust, and 'underbody asphalt spray'...

Oh and Anchor engine mounts are horrible fit/finish I had to grind the tube ends flat(one concave, the other convex), and open one of the holes on the bottom so I could thread the stud into it.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Jun 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:09 PM   #30
Roadhog
Sausages

Roadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRoadhog can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you should just buy a scooter.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote