Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 13, 2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Why do you require prescriptions for muscle relaxers when they are not a CS?

With the exception of SOMA (which is a controlled substance) why do you require a prescription in order to get non-addictive muscle relaxers such as cyclobenzaprine? Now granted, it does make you really drowsy but so do many other over the counter meds such as benadryl. Heck, the generic form only costs like $8 for 30 pills.

I've tried googling around but found no relevant reason as to why it is being treated as a controlled substance.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Medications have classes (schedules). It depends on what level it's classed at whether it can be OTC or not:

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/2...r/2108cfrt.htm
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:07 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Medications have classes (schedules). It depends on what level it's classed at whether it can be OTC or not:

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/2...r/2108cfrt.htm
Cyclobenzaprine (the drug I used as an example) is not a scheduled drug. This is where my confusion is. If it's not a controlled substance or even scheduled, why does it require a prescription?

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Technically, there are many drugs that are not controlled substances which are not OTC. Controlled substances just have some added security/tracking around them now when being prescribed.

I don't know the exact criteria that is used to determine what is OTC capable, but the label of controlled substance is not required for it not to be OTC.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:25 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Not gone

I think what I'm trying to figure out is the reasoning behind it. It makes sense for narcotics to be controlled and prescribed only through a doctor. It does not make sense for a non-narcotic to require a prescription. Some may say it has a (low) chance of being abused, but amphetamine also can be abused and you can still get that over the counter.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:28 PM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

The FDA does not publish how they make that decision. They do publish some things that they take in account, which things like affect on a person is in there. But you won't find their exact criteria and how they make their decisions.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:30 PM   #7
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
The FDA does not publish how they make that decision. They do publish some things that they take in account, which things like affect on a person is in there. But you won't find their exact criteria and how they make their decisions.
Then again, it is all subjective. Here in the states you can easily get as much melatonin (for example) as you want at the local CVS/Walgreens/Walmart/etc but over in the U.K. it's prescription only.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

FWIW, I do consider cyclobenzaprine/Flexeril "dangerous" depending on the dosage. It affects people differently. I know people who have had some pretty disturbing hallucinations after taking it. I took it once before leaving work (not understanding it's affects on me at that time). Needless to say, I don't remember half of my drive home and I obviously never did that again.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 03:57 PM   #9
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Higgy can sell you a muscle relaxer
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 04:04 PM   #10
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

AMA lobby is why so many meds require prescriptions in the US.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 04:35 PM   #11
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
FWIW, I do consider cyclobenzaprine/Flexeril "dangerous" depending on the dosage. It affects people differently. I know people who have had some pretty disturbing hallucinations after taking it. I took it once before leaving work (not understanding it's affects on me at that time). Needless to say, I don't remember half of my drive home and I obviously never did that again.
It's only recommended to take that at night time and that is an unusual reaction (assuming it was no greater than 10mg). It does have a mild sedating affect, but then again so does benadryl (also not recommended to take during waking hours). NSAIDS can be dangerous too, as pretty much any drug is.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 08:30 PM   #12
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

my chiro, suggests these, no prescription required,

https://www.amazon.com/Formula-Maxim...2 C208&sr=8-4
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
It's only recommended to take that at night time and that is an unusual reaction (assuming it was no greater than 10mg). It does have a mild sedating affect, but then again so does benadryl (also not recommended to take during waking hours). NSAIDS can be dangerous too, as pretty much any drug is.
I'm not sure where you read or got that it's suggested to take at night. It's "taken as needed". If you are in severe pain and prescribed the medication, you don't wait for bedtime to take it. If your discomfort is during sleeping, then yes that would be the appropriate time to take it.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 01:31 AM   #14
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
I'm not sure where you read or got that it's suggested to take at night. It's "taken as needed". If you are in severe pain and prescribed the medication, you don't wait for bedtime to take it. If your discomfort is during sleeping, then yes that would be the appropriate time to take it.
It does say not recommended to take while operating heavy machinery, including a car, but unless you have had no experience with the drug and didn't talk to the dr/pharmacist (not wise) it is pretty much common knowledge that some muscle relaxers sedate. Not all though, many don't sedate but cyclo is one that does.

Old Feb 14, 2020, 09:06 AM   #15
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Higgy can sell you a muscle relaxer
True that but I’m retired these days
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:31 AM   #16
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
True that but I’m retired these days
How retired?

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:46 AM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
It does say not recommended to take while operating heavy machinery, including a car, but unless you have had no experience with the drug and didn't talk to the dr/pharmacist (not wise) it is pretty much common knowledge that some muscle relaxers sedate. Not all though, many don't sedate but cyclo is one that does.
Well yes, but the current level medical information wasn't as readily available 20 years ago. The doctors used to say, when you have pain, take these. My dosage back then was pretty high as I was going through severe back pain (ended up leading to surgery in 2008).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:51 AM   #18
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
How retired?
The fruits of my labous are exclusively for my own benefit(and the sister in law)
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Feb 14, 2020, 04:45 PM   #19
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I thought anything that required a prescription was ipso facto a controlled substance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 05:29 PM   #20
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
The fruits of my labous are exclusively for my own benefit(and the sister in law)
Selfish bastard

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #21
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
I thought anything that required a prescription was ipso facto a controlled substance.
Nope. Mostly about potential for abuse and dependence. Some steroids and drugs like valium & Xanax are on the list too. Here's a list of CS schedules and examples of each

Schedule I Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.

Some examples of substances listed in Schedule I are: heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), peyote, methaqualone, and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy").

Schedule II/IIN Controlled Substances (2/2N)

Substances in this schedule have a high potential for abuse which may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.

Examples of Schedule II narcotics include: hydromorphone (Dilaudid®), methadone (Dolophine®), meperidine (Demerol®), oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®), and fentanyl (Sublimaze®, Duragesic®). Other Schedule II narcotics include: morphine, opium, codeine, and hydrocodone.

Examples of Schedule IIN stimulants include: amphetamine (Dexedrine®, Adderall®), methamphetamine (Desoxyn®), and methylphenidate (Ritalin®).

Other Schedule II substances include: amobarbital, glutethimide, and pentobarbital.

Schedule III/IIIN Controlled Substances (3/3N)

Substances in this schedule have a potential for abuse less than substances in Schedules I or II and abuse may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

Examples of Schedule III narcotics include: products containing not more than 90 milligrams of codeine per dosage unit (Tylenol with Codeine®), and buprenorphine (Suboxone®).

Examples of Schedule IIIN non-narcotics include: benzphetamine (Didrex®), phendimetrazine, ketamine, and anabolic steroids such as Depo®-Testosterone.

Schedule IV Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have a low potential for abuse relative to substances in Schedule III.

Examples of Schedule IV substances include: alprazolam (Xanax®), carisoprodol (Soma®), clonazepam (Klonopin®), clorazepate (Tranxene®), diazepam (Valium®), lorazepam (Ativan®), midazolam (Versed®), temazepam (Restoril®), and triazolam (Halcion®).

Schedule V Controlled Substances

Substances in this schedule have a low potential for abuse relative to substances listed in Schedule IV and consist primarily of preparations containing limited quantities of certain narcotics.

Examples of Schedule V substances include: cough preparations containing not more than 200 milligrams of codeine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams (Robitussin AC®, Phenergan with Codeine®), and ezogabine.

https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/

EDIT Basically, the rule is that if a drug requires supervision of a physician, it needs a prescription. The problem is that many OTC drugs can cause problems or even death if not taken properly, but many people assume that if it's OTC then it's perfectly safe to be taken however and whenever they want. Instructions labels are for noobs.

Last edited by Munkus : Yesterday at 10:11 AM.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #22
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Is there a way to make meth out of it? Or do some other foolish thing with it that humans tend to do?

That might be a reason it's Rx-only.

Humans: the reason we can't have nice things.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #23
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
EDIT Basically, the rule is that if a drug requires supervision of a physician, it needs a prescription. The problem is that many OTC drugs can cause problems or even death if not taken properly, but many people assume that if it's OTC then it's perfectly safe to be taken however and whenever they want. Instructions labels are for noobs.

For example: like long term killing of your liver or something. One off isn't going to hurt you, but if you're taking it day after day it could cause problems. They're protecting you from yourself.

"controlled substances" go a step past that and basically keep tabs on you and inform the powers-that-be.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:08 AM   #24
Higgy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
Selfish bastard
well i tried to think of a eloquent rebuttal to that.... and i got nothing
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Old Today, 07:11 AM   #25
Higgy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
For example: like long term killing of your liver or something. One off isn't going to hurt you, but if you're taking it day after day it could cause problems. They're protecting you from yourself.
Thats true, even things advil,tylenol,aleve will do a number on your guts, cause ulcers and a number of GE problems if taken to often and for to long a duration
CFX 290
2x1tb WD Black in raid0