Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Shows Off 'Zacate' & 'Ontario' FUSION APU's at IFA 2010

If you've read our article on AMD's new microprocessor architectures, you'll know the heart of AMD's new FUSION Accelerated Processing Units (APU's) is the low-power Bobcat design, aimed at low power and portable computing devices.

AMD are at IFA Consumer Electronics Show 2010 in Berlin, demonstrating new Brazos platform products, using the 9W Ontario and 18W Zacate APU's:
AMD plans to ramp production here in 2010, with systems available in early 2011. So here at IFA 2010, we’re both demonstrating the capabilities of low-power AMD Fusion APUs, and providing a little more information on the individual products. “Brazos” is the codename for the notebook, netbook and desktop platforms that will be built from the APU. But the APU itself comes in two flavors based on performance and (low) power draw:
  • An 18-watt TDP APU codenamed “Zacate” for ultrathin, mainstream, and value notebooks as well as desktops and all-in-ones.
  • And a 9-watt APU codenamed “Ontario” for netbooks and small form factor desktops and devices.

Both low-power APU versions feature two “Bobcat” x86 cores and fully support DirectX11, DirectCompute (Microsoft programming interface for GPU computing) and OpenCL (cross-platform programming interface standard for multi-core x86 and accelerated GPU computing). Both also include UVD dedicated hardware acceleration for HD video including 1080p resolutions.

The biggest win for the user experience here is the native Universal Video Decoder (UVD) inclusion on-die. This piece of hardware debuted in the ATI Radeon X1000 series Graphics Processors, and was evolved and improved with the introduction of each new ATI Radeon HD line up. The UVD is also utilized in the HD 4000 series and newer Accelerated Video Transcoding technology, for converting video to H.264 and MPEG-2 formats faster than real-time, and the traditional x86 CPU. AMD's Windows 7 GPU-accelerated drag'n'drop driver will be able to leverage the UVD and SIMD arrays of the FUSION APU to seamlessly accelerate the conversion of media for use with supported Media Foundation devices. Playback of Adobe Flash, MPEG-2/4, H.264, VC-1 and AVC video can be hardware accelerated, leaving the x86 cores and GPU SIMD arrays free to perform post processing or upscaling, as well as other tasks.

Read more on AMD FUSION Blog.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Sep 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

Depends which UVD version it is really and what speed it runs at if its worth getting excited about.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yes, if the UVD can do 3D BluRay or PiP dual 1080 streams, it's a hoss but theres not much need for that in some of these form factors.

1080 HD decode is the important marker to hit I think. Accelerated transcoding would be good, too.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Bobcat is going to rip Atom up. Everything I have seen/read suggest that Bobcat is better in every way, and when I say better, I mean superior.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

I'm very interesting in buy a netboook with that chip in the future. Talk about how much battery life will be.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Bobcat is going to rip Atom up. Everything I have seen/read suggest that Bobcat is better in every way, and when I say better, I mean superior.
They need a sub 9W part to make a big dent in the Atom business. We also don't know how much power the platform needs. Or if there will be SoC variants.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Give me something low powered which can decode 1080p streams with some headroom to a shiney HDMI signal so that I can build a HTPC around it and I'll be happy.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:15 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

You're gonna be happy, but you'll need to wait for desktop platforms unless you're gonna hook up a notebook to your TV.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:24 AM   #9
jlpktnst
Radeon R520

jlpktnst is still being judged by the masses

Well, actually, why not hook a netbook to a tv? Its small and can do the job.

Anyway I'd like to see realtime encoding in one of these babies, even if its 720p only
jlpktnst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:06 AM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpktnst View Post
Well, actually, why not hook a netbook to a tv? Its small and can do the job.

Anyway I'd like to see realtime encoding in one of these babies, even if its 720p only
There is a market for netbooks and notebooks connecting to TV's, but it's transient use not permanent like a HTPC is.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 09:37 AM   #11
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

AMD is really looking on the up and up lately. I hope they can execute, because for the first time in years I'm excited about AMD hardware.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
AMD is really looking on the up and up lately. I hope they can execute, because for the first time in years I'm excited about AMD hardware.

As much as my Q9300 has served me well, I'm very excited about bulldozer.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote