Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Dec 26, 2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default JoyCon Drift

Anyone experiencing this with their JoyCons?

My son is finally starting to play his switch a little more but to our disappointment the left Con is drifting. It can't even finish the calibration mode. It's not from over use because this system barely was played with{corroded contacts maybe?). It seems to be a huge problem with Nintendo and they even have a dedicated help link for Joycons alone. I'm a little unclear if it's a free fix or not. I've read they are charging $40 also which is crazy being I think a controller goes for $50(on sale now for $40).

My other issue with Nintendo is it's confusing as all hell when having eshop gift cards and multiple people on my account.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2020, 08:52 AM   #2
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Pretty sure all Joycons from first couple years will likely have the drift problem. It's a widely known issue and Nintendo will fix your Joycons with drift for free. Just open a support ticket on their website and they'll give you a prepaid shipping label.

Both my son's Joycons started having the issue little over a year after we got the Switch. Sent them in and got them back in 2-3 weeks working perfect.

I'm not sure if the problem will crop up again in the future. Hoping it was just an issue with first run systems and they have corrected it for all Joycons going forward. Time will tell.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2020, 09:52 AM   #3
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

It's still a issue, Switch lite also has it, and that you have to send the entire console back...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 26, 2020, 01:07 PM   #4
eNforcer
Radeon Southern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Replaced mine (non-lite) with some 3rd party sticks from Amazon last summer. One of the two were DOA but they sent me a new kit for free. Seems like it doesn't matter who makes them, 1st or 3rd party, they are all junk.
eNforcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2020, 02:02 AM   #5
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i havent experienced it yet but it seems like no matter when you got any switch or joycon they all might experience drift.

Nintendo cant seem to figure out what they effed up on with the joysticks to have this rampant problem.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2020, 06:13 AM   #6
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete strangerTyr-Sog once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well it's great to hear they are fixed for free. I guess maybe I'll get an extra pair for a rotation system.
Again this system was hardly used. It was lost(at our cottage) forever matter of fact.
What junk.

It's pretty shitty of NIN to continue to release new hardware without a fix.

I'm sad to read that the Lites have the issue also. I just bought my daughter one for Christmas.
I'm now tempted to get a max extended warranty(which I never buy) just so when it does happen I can exchange it out.
Is that how a warranty from BB even works though?

edit/ Maybe Sas is right, nin can't figure out what is wrong.

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 G1 - nVidia Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC - Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Intel I5 6600K - crucial 16GB DDR4 - Intel 240ssd5 & WD 1TB 7200rpm - corsair 750ps - HP OMEN 27i -
- corsair spec alpha carbide series case - corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB MX keyboard - Logitech G502 - Sennheiser G4ME One Headset

MSI GE62 Apache Pro Gaming Laptop - nVidia 970m - Intel I7 5700 - 16GB DDR3 - 128ssd & 1TB 7200rpm

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog
Old Dec 30, 2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Its definately an oddball issue, as all their controller designs up to this point had no issue with drift or at least not to the extent the joycons have.

Its also enough of a problem that they have to fix it by replacing the sticks or whatever it is they do and then it may or may not go away completeyl.

Also there are DIY "fixes" which involved either cleaning the joystick base or more indepth by opening up the controller to change out the joysticks and accomanying hardware.

No one can seem to pinpoint the main cause of the issue.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2020, 03:25 PM   #8
Tyr-Sog
Radeon Arctic Islands

I stopped by BB yesterday to grab a copy of SuperSmash for my son and the kid in the next to me was complaining to his grandma about the drift problem. lol

XBone - TyrSog76
PSN - - Tyr-Sog_
Steam - Tyr-Sog