Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FockeWulf
BFG GTX285 OC

FockeWulf is still being judged by the masses

Default Proposed PC Build

Hi,
Is there anything that should be changed in the below proposed build?

Processor: I7-8700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370i-Gaming
VideoCard: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX1080Ti
Mem: 32G DDR4-3600
Case: RaidMax Alpha Prime.
PS: RaidMax 1000W
Storage 1: Samsung 960 Evo (500G) SSD
Storage 2: WD Blue 2TB
CD/DVD/BluRay (Non-writable)
Win10

I've always had a Creative SB of some variation, but am not sure if the MB would be fine. I assume the MB has outputs to drive my 4.1 sound system.
I also assume the MB audio wouldn't have output/input jacks on the front of the tower.
ASUS GTX 980 Ti
X-Fi Titanium
Cooler Master Haf 932
Cooler Master 1000 w silent pro
Win 7 Pro
FockeWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would be inclined to change the PSU. Which Raidmax are you looking at and whats price on it?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGreasy exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The board will support front panel audio inputs, and it has an optical output if you're running it to a tuner.

I'm not sure about that PSU either.

Everything else looks fine component wise. The case is always user preference IMO. Just make sure it actually has some airflow. That's something that a lot of cases throw out the window these days.

Edit, Any particular reason you're going for an ITX board in a mid tower case?
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Hapa just linked this in another thread.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...this-fall.html

Worth the wait maybe?

Vernon Law
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:37 AM   #5
FockeWulf
BFG GTX285 OC

Good point about the ITX board in a mid tower case. Can you suggest a better one with more airflow?
I have reservations about the case, since I know that the board will support front panel audio inputs, but given the case front is smooth, not sure where this would fit (much less a CD/DVD drive). Perhaps part of it opens?
ASUS GTX 980 Ti
X-Fi Titanium
Cooler Master Haf 932
Win 7 Pro
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:19 PM   #6
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Southern Islands

NWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird singsNWR_Midnight knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FockeWulf View Post
Good point about the ITX board in a mid tower case. Can you suggest a better one with more airflow?
I have reservations about the case, since I know that the board will support front panel audio inputs, but given the case front is smooth, not sure where this would fit (much less a CD/DVD drive). Perhaps part of it opens?
Why even get a cd/dvd drive? Most everything now days can be done via flash drive.
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

1.) It comes down to the 8700K and what you plan to do with it. Do you plan to OC? 5GHz? Delid? What type of cooling are you going with? What resolution do you plan to run. The 2700X might be more suitable for you and cheaper.

2.) Replace the RaidMax PSU with either EVGA SuperDuper Ultra Nova or preferable Corsair AXi series for reliability.

3.) Samsung 970 Evo, not a 960. What is this 2017?

4.) Bluray drive???? Save the money and get some AREGEEBEE'S!!!!!!!!!1111onetwo.

5.) 3200MHz DDR with a low CAS14 latency would be better then the 3600MHz kit.

As for Audio the motherboard will be fine.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4 3866MHz CAS18, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 04:23 PM   #8
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Judging from your system specs, I would wait. Your upgrading to a dead platform and soon to be 2nd tier gpu.

Also couple other notes.

970s are out now and they don't cost much different at least here in the US
With current ram prices 3600 is kinda meh in terms of any benefit on z370 for the premium cost. I have 4000 running on my 8700k and tbh i can't say it causes any amazing fps increase over the 3400 it replaced. Your really just picking at 1-2 fps at best.

Last edited by nycdarkness : Jun 14, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 05:05 PM   #9
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'd wait a little bit before doing this
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:46 PM   #10
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

I say wait, I know new is always coming but New is not far away right now!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 08:20 PM   #11
KAC
Menacing in Black

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wait. New stuff will be out before end of the year. You will get 2 more cores for the same price and also be able to get a spanking new omgrafix card.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:35 PM   #12
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I wouldn't go with a RaidMax PSU. I made the mistake of getting a RaidMax 750W Titanium PSU. It blew up after a year, taking my board with it. Sure, it can happen with any PSU manufacturer, but then I found out that RaidMax PSUs only have a two year warranty. That goes to show how much confidence they have in their products.

Get a Seasonic, EVGA or a Corsair instead.

I agree with the other saying to wait, too.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:15 AM   #13
FockeWulf
BFG GTX285 OC

Thanks for all the advice. I built the PC I have now back in 2011, and only upgraded the RAM amount and the GPU since. Anything new is better

Based on your advice, I've switched the MB to an ATX-form ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H-Gaming, the PSU to an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ 80 Plus Gold 1000W, and the SSD to a 970 2TB.

Is the RaidMAx case any good, or is it as questionable as the PSU?

FW
ASUS GTX 980 Ti
X-Fi Titanium
Cooler Master Haf 932
Win 7 Pro

Last edited by FockeWulf : Jun 15, 2018 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Whoops!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:47 AM   #14
atomBomb
Diamond Stealth 2mb VRAM

atomBomb is still being judged by the masses

Id say move that 980TI and wait out the next gen NVIDIA OMGRAFIX. Not sure if anyone but the 0.01% is going to go for 2 grafix cards anymore as even AMD is saying its a dying breed. 1000W PSU is way overkill, even if overclocking. So go with like super quality Seasonic 650w platinum psu. (Mine died, protection circuit went off, got a new PSU from warranty and nothing else died, life goes on). Better protection circuits or protection circuits at all are worth the 10-20$ more.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ew,5187-3.html

Not bad case but.. Maybe think going with mATX? space but smaller than ATX, also reduced price for better components elsewhere. I haven't yet been disappointed of Fractal Design cases. And also there can only be Noctua for cpu cooler!

pc-masterrace

Last edited by atomBomb : Jun 15, 2018 at 08:09 AM.
atomBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:12 AM   #15
KAC
Menacing in Black

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

EVGA PSUs are pretty tight. 1000 Watts should be minimum for any system.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:11 AM   #16
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I built the PC I have now back in 2011, and only upgraded the RAM amount and the GPU since. Anything new is better

Based on your advice, I've switched the MB to an ATX-form ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H-Gaming, the PSU to an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ 80 Plus Gold 1000W, and the SSD to a 970 2TB.

Is the RaidMAx case any good, or is it as questionable as the PSU?

FW
I was going to recommend the Supernova 850w G3 for $149.99ca @ Amazon.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 08:34 AM   #17
GTwannabe
Rage3D Veteran

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ditch the stupid ITX board for an ATX and get a better quality PSU.
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 09:11 AM   #18
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger

Just make sure whatever case you get, it can fit the ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX1080Ti. This card is LONG.

I thought I had a big case, but the card wouldn't fit until I hacked/sawed the HDD cage.
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 09:23 AM   #19
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It's pretty crazy that a modern midtower case has more room for long graphics cards than an older fulltower case.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 09:37 AM   #20
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I got the Corsair Carbide 270R for $65 from Microcenter and have zero regrets. Plenty of room for a long card, super easy to build and keep clean. Good bang for the buck.

Vernon Law
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:04 AM   #21
FockeWulf
BFG GTX285 OC

Thanks for the suggestions. Getting a quote on the Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass Edition RGB Full Tower Chassis.
ASUS GTX 980 Ti
X-Fi Titanium
Cooler Master Haf 932
Win 7 Pro
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:15 AM   #22
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It's pretty crazy that a modern midtower case has more room for long graphics cards than an older fulltower case.
Yeah, my Corsair Graphite 600T swallows up a 1080Ti like its a little MX400. It's not an issue.

Hell, that case is even old by PC gaming standards really.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 01:40 PM   #23
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The strix is not a huge card for most cases these days. Unless you have a small form factor or an outdated design case. A mid tower is fine. I would highly suggest the new evolv x when that drops in august. It will leagues beyond whatever crap thermaltake makes. And yes i did a own a few recent TT cases.

Old Jun 15, 2018, 06:15 PM   #24
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Getting a quote on the Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass Edition RGB Full Tower Chassis.
Just swapped out to this case last week, The thing is huge with room to spare. My PC actually looks nice inside now with all the space this thing provides. Just be prepared for the size of it! Its Huge and very heavy with all the Glass in. And Bah on the crap non sense, this case is nice!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 08:50 PM   #25
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I've always had a Creative SB of some variation, but am not sure if the MB would be fine. I assume the MB has outputs to drive my 4.1 sound system.
I also assume the MB audio wouldn't have output/input jacks on the front of the tower.
Going to chime in on this point.
Onboard audio has improved by a huge amount in the last few years. Isolated audio circuits, replaceable op-amps and adjustable gain have become pretty common but in most cases these features only apply to the rear audio jacks. Coupled with the fact that the front panel audio implementation on most cases is less than stellar, cross-talk and interference can be an issue making the front panel jacks sub optimal for headset use.

I would also mention that I have never personally seen onboard audio with native support for 4.1. It would have to be set to 5.1 with the center channel disabled, not sure if this would have an affect on the low frequency channel.

I have personally been considering an SB AE5 simply for the convenience of the dedicated headphone jack, really getting tired of reaching around the back of the case to switch between the headset and speakers.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2018, 09:23 PM   #26
KAC
Menacing in Black

Gay save your money. Now is not the time to buy.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #27
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete strangerExposed once held a door open for a complete stranger

Are there any decent CPU coolers that aren't the size of a house or skyscraper? Something decent but small form for the 8th gens. The ones I read that were recommended (Noctua, Dark Pro) are just too insanely huge with ridiculously large 120mm+ fans.

Does it really take that much to cool a 8700k to 4.7 Ghz? That's all I would want out of a 8700k or whatever the 8 core equivalent is.
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #28
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Are there any decent CPU coolers that aren't the size of a house or skyscraper? Something decent but small form for the 8th gens. The ones I read that were recommended (Noctua, Dark Pro) are just too insanely huge with ridiculously large 120mm fans.

Does it really take that much to cool a 8700k to 4.7 Ghz? That's all I would want out of a 8700k or whatever the 8 core equivalent is.
4.7 is about the norm max you can get thru without delidding to avoid 80s plus. If you don't wait a huge cooler its either aio, or delidding then using a smaller cooler for 4.7