Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cloakanddagger
 
Posts: n/a


Default Why do you have to be 21 to buy alcohol in the US

I really have no idea. Does anyone know the history behind this? I would really like to know.
  Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:00 PM   #2
AsDDff
Resident EviL
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,946
AsDDff is still being judged by the masses


Default

Just make some pruno if u have some troubles meeting the requirements
__________________
i cant wait till the sequal of gigli!! its gonna be awesome... im not a geek i am just social challenged!
AsDDff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Cloud
Radeon Volcanic Islands
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Midgar
Posts: 3,945
Cloud is still being judged by the masses


Default

Because, kids are silly here.
__________________
» AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor
» MSI K9A2 Crossfire Motherboard
» 2x Western Digital Raptors RAID-0 Boot
» 8GB GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 RAM
» SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850
» Microsoft Windows 7 Build 7100
» 2x Hanns·G 28" Monitors 3840x1200
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:00 PM   #4
greyghost
people are stupid
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: United States Bumf*cknowhere
Posts: 4,686
greyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete strangergreyghost once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

I don't know. But when I was 20 (yes, ages ago) I went to get some non-alcoholic beer for my dad, and they wouldn't let me buy it because it has trace amounts of alcohol!
__________________
Ben Franklin once said that "A man that will give up some freedom for security, deserves neither freedom or security".
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:04 PM   #5
I.S.T.
New Grimlock: now 80x80
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas. Guess which city and you won't win a damned thing.
Posts: 2,572
I.S.T. is still being judged by the masses


Default

Because our country was founded by uber conservative Puritans? Because then if a young guy drinks they can fine his ass for money?
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:06 PM   #6
cloakanddagger
 
Posts: n/a


Default

While these replies are at least partly true, they aren't the kind of answeres I was looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:10 PM   #7
wangFu
take him away!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mexico Tijuana
Posts: 7,742
wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges


Default

who cares, you can still come to tj when youre 18 :P
__________________
Add me on steam
PSN: robv99
wangFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:11 PM   #8
Canadian_2K
How's it going, eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 903
Canadian_2K is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakanddagger
While these replies are at least partly true, they aren't the kind of answeres I was looking for.
Because that's the legal age requirement, whether you like it or not. Sure, you can drink still, but don't count on it being legal. It's not anything special anyways... a beer now and again is fine, but all those retarded kids (don't think I'm excluding myself though...) drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk is stupid, and is more than likely the reason for the age restriction (to limit kids basically killing themselves)
__________________
"[... my computer locks up after the blue screen while reformatting...]" - me

"Theres your problem right there dude. You need to reinstall windows." - phial
Canadian_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:19 PM   #9
magicknight0233
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: United States New Jersey
Posts: 6,523
magicknight0233 is still being judged by the masses


Default

1. Because our country was founded by a bunch of crackpot religious nutcases called Puritans. It's the same reason why broadcasting sex/nudity and swearing on TV and radio is taboo. Still don't understand? Read the boring piece of crap called The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Oh yeah, and their stupid values is why we had a little failure in the early 1900s called Prohibition.
(In case you can't tell, I have an almost complete total lack of respect for religious fanatics.)
2. The primary reason the legal age for alcohol is 21 now is because the driving age is only 16-18.
According to numerous health teachers over nine long years of public school, the drinking age used to be 18 but then they discovered that people who only had their licenses for like half a year or so (and didn't know better) were getting drunk off their ass and getting into all these drunk driving accidents and killing themselves and lots of other people. So they opted to raise drinking age.
magicknight0233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:19 PM   #10
Justin Credible
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: United States Alabama
Posts: 3,345
Justin Credible is still being judged by the masses


Default

I think it's because Americans abuse the alcohol more so than people in Europe for example. When I went to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland I started to understand. The beer in Germany is so good that you don't even have the desire to get shi*ty ass drunk were as here you feel the need to get plastered so you can't taste how aweful the beer really is. Don't get me wrong because people do get really drunk there but it's usually at a beer garden or something and they don't go cruising the town afterwards getting into trouble. I would drink it with my meals there because it was a cheap as coke and it tasted much better. I'm not sure about this but their punishment might be more severe over there for dui. Beer is also a part of their culture and I really realized this when we went to a resturant for breakfast in a small town that I can't remember the name of and at 8:00 in the morning the men would have a beer before church!!! I still almost can't believe it. They just know how to handle themselves and think of it more as a beverage than some crap that gets you drunk. I do however think the age here should be lowered from 21 to 18 but not abolished.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:27 PM   #11
cloakanddagger
 
Posts: n/a


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
Because that's the legal age requirement, whether you like it or not. Sure, you can drink still, but don't count on it being legal. It's not anything special anyways... a beer now and again is fine, but all those retarded kids (don't think I'm excluding myself though...) drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk is stupid, and is more than likely the reason for the age restriction (to limit kids basically killing themselves)
I wasn't necessarily saying that I disagreed with the law, in fact I wasn't saying that.
  Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:36 PM   #12
DVS Darkside
.:. Lafiel .:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Outerspace
Posts: 555
DVS Darkside is still being judged by the masses


Talking

To prevent smartass kids from getting drunk and doing dumb ****
__________________
.:. Antec P180 .:. i7 2600k .:. eVga GTX 480 .:. Patriot DDR3 4GB .:. Silverstone 800W PSU .:. Asus P8P67-M Pro .:. Intel G2 SSD 80GB .:.
DVS Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:52 PM   #13
TheSlav
Team RAMROD
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,884
TheSlav is still being judged by the masses


Default

After Prohibition, nearly all states restricting youth access to alcohol designated 21 as the minimum legal drinking age. During the 70s, 29 states lowered the minimum legal drinking age to 18, 19, or 20. These changes occurred when the minimum age for other activities, such as voting, also were being lowered. The fact that 18 years olds were open to potential drafting by the US army during the Vietnam was was also a factor - "If I am old enough to die for my country in the army, and I am old enough choose the future of my country by voting, how come I'm not old enough to drink?" was a popular argument.

In the backdrop of the lowering of the legal drinking age, several studies and researches found that motor vehicle crashes increased significantly among teens in the states where the minimum legal drinking age was lowered. Armed with hard evidence that alcohol consumption by teens lead to more driving accidents, citizen advocacy groups pushed states to restore the legal drinking age limit to 21. As a result of such campaigns, 16 states increased their minimum legal drinking ages between September 1976 and January 1983. Resistance from other states, and concern that minors would travel across state lines to purchase and consume alcohol, prompted the federal government in 1984 (under President Reagan) to enact the Uniform Drinking Age Act, which reduced federal transportation funding to those states that did not raise the minimum legal drinking age to 21. The legislation was quite effective: by 1988, every state had a minimum legal drinking age of 21.
__________________
Fallen Heroes
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ s939 - Abit AV8 - BBA 9800 XT - Seagate 120gb - OCZ Modstream 450W - OCZ EL Plat Rev2 DDR400 1gb (2x512mb dual channel) - Antec Sonota - Samsung 710T LCD - Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - Logitech Z-2300 THX Speakers
TheSlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:15 AM   #14
fredhead
Radeon R520
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 507
fredhead is still being judged by the masses


Default

I think he wants to know why it's not 22 or 24.761. Why 21? Some historical convention? Did the lawmaker have a 21 inch wang or something?
__________________
Yabba Dabba Doo
fredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:16 AM   #15
AsDDff
Resident EviL
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,946
AsDDff is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhead
I think he wants to know why it's not 22 or 24.761. Why 21? Some historical convention? Did the lawmaker have a 21 inch wang or something?

It could be when your balls stop doing your judgement
__________________
i cant wait till the sequal of gigli!! its gonna be awesome... im not a geek i am just social challenged!
AsDDff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:18 AM   #16
cloakanddagger
 
Posts: n/a


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhead
I think he wants to know why it's not 22 or 24.761. Why 21? Some historical convention? Did the lawmaker have a 21 inch wang or something?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlav
After Prohibition, nearly all states restricting youth access to alcohol designated 21 as the minimum legal drinking age. During the 70s, 29 states lowered the minimum legal drinking age to 18, 19, or 20. These changes occurred when the minimum age for other activities, such as voting, also were being lowered. The fact that 18 years olds were open to potential drafting by the US army during the Vietnam was was also a factor - "If I am old enough to die for my country in the army, and I am old enough choose the future of my country by voting, how come I'm not old enough to drink?" was a popular argument.

In the backdrop of the lowering of the legal drinking age, several studies and researches found that motor vehicle crashes increased significantly among teens in the states where the minimum legal drinking age was lowered. Armed with hard evidence that alcohol consumption by teens lead to more driving accidents, citizen advocacy groups pushed states to restore the legal drinking age limit to 21. As a result of such campaigns, 16 states increased their minimum legal drinking ages between September 1976 and January 1983. Resistance from other states, and concern that minors would travel across state lines to purchase and consume alcohol, prompted the federal government in 1984 (under President Reagan) to enact the Uniform Drinking Age Act, which reduced federal transportation funding to those states that did not raise the minimum legal drinking age to 21. The legislation was quite effective: by 1988, every state had a minimum legal drinking age of 21.
That's what I'm looking for.
  Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:19 AM   #17
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl.
Posts: 10,045
PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhead
I think he wants to know why it's not 22 or 24.761. Why 21? Some historical convention? Did the lawmaker have a 21 inch wang or something?
insurance companies dictated this law....moving it from 18 or 19 or 21 (states used to decide) the federal government witheld federal dollarts for states until they changed it to 21.....Insurance companies lobbied heavily for this, as it saved them eleventy billion dollars by keeping a few more million hormone enreged drunken teenagers off the road....
__________________
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

Last edited by PreservedSwine : Sep 11, 2004 at 12:21 AM.
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:20 AM   #18
logen1869F
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,766
logen1869F is still being judged by the masses


Default

i think you should pass some sort of maturity test before being allowed to drink, or smoke, or buy porn, or vote, or post of forums........
logen1869F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:21 AM   #19
PreservedSwine
When's dinner?
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ft. Myers, Fl.
Posts: 10,045
PreservedSwine is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logen99999
i think you should pass some sort of maturity test before being allowed to drink, or smoke, or buy porn, or vote, or post of forums........
there goes 99% of R3d....
__________________
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government—lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry
PreservedSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:23 AM   #20
I.S.T.
New Grimlock: now 80x80
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Texas. Guess which city and you won't win a damned thing.
Posts: 2,572
I.S.T. is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logen99999
i think you should pass some sort of maturity test before being allowed to drink, or smoke, or buy porn, or vote, or post of forums........
Guess I Should stop posting now......
I.S.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:14 AM   #21
euan
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Scotland Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,003
euan is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible
I think it's because Americans abuse the alcohol more so than people in Europe for example. When I went to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland I started to understand. The beer in Germany is so good that you don't even have the desire to get shi*ty ass drunk were as here you feel the need to get plastered so you can't taste how aweful the beer really is. Don't get me wrong because people do get really drunk there but it's usually at a beer garden or something and they don't go cruising the town afterwards getting into trouble. I would drink it with my meals there because it was a cheap as coke and it tasted much better. I'm not sure about this but their punishment might be more severe over there for dui. Beer is also a part of their culture and I really realized this when we went to a resturant for breakfast in a small town that I can't remember the name of and at 8:00 in the morning the men would have a beer before church!!! I still almost can't believe it. They just know how to handle themselves and think of it more as a beverage than some crap that gets you drunk. I do however think the age here should be lowered from 21 to 18 but not abolished.
I take it the UK is being treated as part of Europe in this case. Because, we're exactly the opposite of all what you just said.
__________________
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music...." -- - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation, Inc, 1989
euan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:45 AM   #22
TIKtak
Me
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 2,141
TIKtak is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicknight0233
Read the boring piece of crap called The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
i was like burning in hell while reading that book for english class back in high school. it was nothing but pure punnishment. i hated it so much. anyways, i do remember that a lot of stuff was prohibited while reading that blasted story and maybe that's what influenced the U.S. today.
TIKtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:46 AM   #23
DLT
So whats this about then?
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: England
Posts: 871
DLT is still being judged by the masses


Default

A little off topic but what is the sense behind the uk law that means you can have sex at 16 but you cant buy porn untill your 18?

So a 16 year old can have sex all day long if he wants but he can't enjoy a mucky mag.



__________________
The hunt is on!
DLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:56 AM   #24
{D0om}DEATH
Radeon R600
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 629
{D0om}DEATH is still being judged by the masses


Default

not like maturity changes in the short time from 18-21. they let us buy cigarettes to slowly kill ourselves and pay heavy taxes at 18 but god forbid we get drunk.
{D0om}DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 01:17 PM   #25
JTF2
fap fap fap
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: :confused:
Posts: 1,178
JTF2 is still being judged by the masses


Default

come to canada, we can drink at 18 here... in most provinces anyways.
JTF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 01:25 PM   #26
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Canada Brentwood Bay, B.C.
Posts: 13,086
Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh


Default

I thought it was 19 here in Canada. Doesn't matter, I'm 33. Now where is my rum? Ahhhhhhh....there you are. Thought you could get away from me eh?
__________________
I have nothing witty to say.
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 02:38 PM   #27
XSBagage
while the world crumbles
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium EU
Posts: 10,914
XSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXSBagage can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by euan
I take it the UK is being treated as part of Europe in this case. Because, we're exactly the opposite of all what you just said.
You people are the opposite of everything
XSBagage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 04:38 PM   #28
Smart1
Self ******
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Americas
Posts: 1,574
Smart1 is still being judged by the masses


Default

People in America are not responsible
__________________
t('.'t)
Smart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 04:41 PM   #29
_leech_
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada Lost in time...
Posts: 16,787
_leech_ is still being judged by the masses


Default

How old to you have to be to own a gun in the US?
_leech_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 04:43 PM   #30
BobbyRPI2712
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,129
BobbyRPI2712 is still being judged by the masses


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _leech_
How old to you have to be to own a gun in the US?
its not really an age, you just gotta be able to walk...ok stand.
__________________


BobbyRPI2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What effect does alcohol have on you? monkeydust Off Topic Lounge 67 Jan 9, 2006 01:11 AM
oh man, too much alcohol! multicycle Off Topic Lounge 39 Feb 14, 2005 03:57 AM
alcohol cloakanddagger Off Topic Lounge 41 Jun 20, 2004 07:36 PM
Alcohol!!!! bishuse Off Topic Lounge 4 Jan 3, 2004 09:21 PM
Rubbing alcohol? Denat. alcohol? R200 Radeon Tweaking, Modding, and Overclocking 6 Nov 9, 2002 12:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink