Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Radeon 7970 GHz Edition?

Might be a tweaked Tahiti coming, with higher clocks (GHz Edition is used for cards with core engine clocks at 1GHz or higher):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann
Timing.

Although there was a relatively short time period between the releases of the chips, Verde and Pitcairn's bring-up, and to some extent qualification, have a reasonable level of leveraging going on so they are a little shortended in terms of initial engineering wafers back to product shipping. Actually setting the product "boundries" for Tahiti happened a while ago, on initial engineering material and few wafers out from the fab; Pitcairn and Verde on the other hand had their product boundries set when Tahiti production starts were already occuring and there is a very quick evolution in terms of understanding things with the new process / chips.

I guess the question you want to ask is whether, now that we know things have evolved, are we going back to re-look at Tahiti....
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread...57#post1626557
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:03 AM   #2
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

No doubt in my mind about this and yes, timing is everything.

AMD will let Kepler launch and counter with a 1Ghz 7970.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
KAC
Menacing in Black

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

In the words of Abel from SSFIVAE...

"Useless"
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
IamHere
Banned

IamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
In the words of Abel from SSFIVAE...

"Useless"

Wow, you have turned in to quite the Anti-ati troll.

As to the card, I call 1.2 GHZ!!!
IamHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
KAC
Menacing in Black

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamHere View Post
Wow, you have turned in to quite the Anti-ati troll.

As to the card, I call 1.2 GHZ!!!
Wut? GHz edition at 1 GHz is useless. As for 1.2 Ghz, might be worthwhile (around 15% performance bump) but at say another 50$ (e.g., 600 price tag, it will be completely useless).

Also, I have run ATi cards for 4 gens now and have supported their practices when they made sense to me. The new cards in 7XXX series are utter crap with little to no price/perf advantages after 1+ year of wait.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Ghz Edition branding is for any card with core clocks at 1GHz or higher. Again emphasized so the brain dead can understand.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
IamHere
Banned

IamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppersIamHere has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Wut? GHz edition at 1 GHz is useless. As for 1.2 Ghz, might be worthwhile (around 15% performance bump) but at say another 50$ (e.g., 600 price tag, it will be completely useless).

Also, I have run ATi cards for 4 gens now and have supported their practices when they made sense to me. The new cards in 7XXX series are utter crap with little to no price/perf advantages after 1+ year of wait.
Really? I think the 7970 is much better than the 6970, the 7870 is much better than the 6870 and the 7770 is much, much better than the 6770. Where is the problem? That they are not giving them away?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
KAC
Menacing in Black

Quote:
Really? I think the 7970 is much better than the 6970, the 7870 is much better than the 6870 and the 7770 is much, much better than the 6770. Where is the problem? That they are not giving them away?
Learn some reading comprehension. Cards are also priced accordingly for being better making price/perf improvement little or close to zero since last gen. Yes, they are better but they are also priced higher than last gen.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

1Ghz is too low, I expect at least 1.2 -1.3 Ghz with a higher binned chip

My 7970 OCes to 1.18Ghz with default voltage
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

7970 @ "stock" 1.3Ghz would be awesome.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
1Ghz is too low, I expect at least 1.2 -1.3 Ghz with a higher binned chip

My 7970 OCes to 1.18Ghz with default voltage
And also came with a 900 factory clock. They aren't going to run it balls to the walls and shoot up RMA count and lose money. 1GHz is long, and safe. I'm sure there will be "OC" editions that move to 1100-1200 just like there are some with 1000-1050 already.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If it's a tweaked design, new chip revision, then the current 'safe' voltages/clocks might not be completely applicable....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:43 PM   #13
IamHere
Banned

Quote:
Learn some reading comprehension. Cards are also priced accordingly for being better making price/perf improvement little or close to zero since last gen. Yes, they are better but they are also priced higher than last gen.
Why should they make them cheaper, the green team is sucking it again.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

KaC is kinda right, if they make a new sku at only 1ghz it wouldnt get me personally over excited. 1.1ghz not 1.2ghz would give u approx 13-15% more performance(look at my oc scaling thread for results) 1.1 is attainable on most cards at stock voltage(powertune +20% tho) Now if its a tweaked design/new chip revision like caveman suggested, 1.2+ wouldnt be that hard to achieve.(most 7970s can hit that now with a voltage bump and more aggressive cooling) 1.2ghz vs 925mhz would be almost a 30% core increase and would net u approx 22-24% speed increase roughly.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:32 PM   #15
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbill dennison can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

hmm i got a 1 Ghz Edition

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33987744

just need one that works
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:59 PM   #16
tehpikachu
Radeon R420

tehpikachu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
hmm i got a 1 Ghz Edition

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33987744

just need one that works
That's pretty sick. I need one of those too though
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
KAC
Menacing in Black

Quote:
Why should they make them cheaper, the green team is sucking it again.
Congratulations on making a stupid argument on the internet lol.