Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 14, 2018, 08:11 AM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It was really nice of intel to release CL while knowing about these security flaws.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2018, 05:10 PM   #212
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Poor bastards.

I will reiterate....good thing I bought a 8700k

Quote:
while the firmware updates are effective at mitigating exposure to the security issues, customers have reported more frequent reboots on firmware updated systems. As part of this, we have determined that similar behavior occurs on other products in some configurations, including Ivy Bridge-, Sandy Bridge-, Skylake-, and Kaby Lake-based platforms. We have reproduced these issues internally and are making progress toward identifying the root cause. In parallel, we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week.
https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firm...enter-systems/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
So far the most annoying thing to me is my old 4770K in my server keeps ****ing rebooting.
Hang in there dude.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2018, 09:36 AM   #213
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It was really nice of intel to release CL while knowing about these security flaws.
It was also nice of the CEO to dump his stock while knowing of these security flaws.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:19 PM   #214
ugly
Radeon R520

ugly is still being judged by the masses

I have a Skylake i5-6600k.

I've noticed a definite slowdown. I record OTA TV shows. I run Comskip to generate EDL files to skip commercials on the recordings. It's CPU intensive.

Before the update, I used to be able to run 4 instances of Comskip, watch a recording in Kodi, and browse the internet, and everything would be smooth. If I ran a 5th instance, I'd notice some choppy playback on the video, or choppy scrolling in the browser.

After the update, I can only run 3 instances of Comskip and the video in Kodi and browsing get really choppy.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:25 PM   #215
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Old Jan 22, 2018, 07:39 PM   #216
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/01...ips_into_intel

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...1.2/04628.html

So the jyst of the email is:

1.) Even with the patches applied its actually not working unless you enabled the fix manually which leads in to:

2.) The slow down is more severe once properly enabled then what we thought? LOL?
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2018, 07:48 PM   #217
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Glad I held out on the 8700k. Now just waiting on Ryzen 2 benchmarks to seal the deal.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 02:51 AM   #218
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Intel falls because of their own decisions and not because competition..If i remember correctly the roman empire the spark that fell the empire was also from inside.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:36 AM   #219
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Fwiw - Linus doesn't like the fix.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/22/li...utter-garbage/

Quote:
The always outspoken Linus Torvalds, best known for his continuing work on the innermost code of Linux systems, has harsh words to say and accusations to level against Intel. His evaluation of Intel’s latest proposed fix for the Meltdown/Spectre issue: “the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE.” As a potential line of inquiry, he suggests: “Has anybody talked to them and told them they are *******g insane?” (Asterisk his.)

These and other kind epithets are awarded by Torvalds in a public email chain between him and David Woodhouse, an engineer at Amazon in the U.K., regarding Intel’s solution as relating to the Linux kernel. The issue is (as far as I can tell as someone far out of their depth) a clumsy and, Torvalds argues, “insane” implementation of a fix that essentially does nothing while also doing a bunch of unnecessary things.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:31 PM   #220
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
Microsoft’s statement suggests slowdowns could be more substantial than Intel previously indicated.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...w-some-servers

edit: MS blog:
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/mic...ndows-systems/
Is this a MS update? I haven't been offered anything AFAIK...
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 01:03 PM   #221
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Is this a MS update? I haven't been offered anything AFAIK...
The update has currently been pulled an there could be a new wave of MicroCode updates on the way as well.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Jan 23, 2018, 01:04 PM   #222
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2018, 02:08 PM   #223
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
The update has currently been pulled an there could be a new wave of MicroCode updates on the way as well.
So I've googled around and it seems the patch (at least for Win7 which Im running) was part of the Jan 4th security rollup:

https://support.microsoft.com/km-kh/...date-kb4056894

Turns out I did have this installed on my system, but just after I posted my question in this thread I was offered it again via WU, for some reason. So I installed it again and so far so good. Just hoping I won't see any significant slowdowns...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:07 PM   #224
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
So I've googled around and it seems the patch (at least for Win7 which Im running) was part of the Jan 4th security rollup:

https://support.microsoft.com/km-kh/...date-kb4056894

Turns out I did have this installed on my system, but just after I posted my question in this thread I was offered it again via WU, for some reason. So I installed it again and so far so good. Just hoping I won't see any significant slowdowns...
The patch was pulled due to resets on certain system, then it spread from those certain systems to this new patch that has just been released.

Question is have you downloaded a new bios since your on Intel it requires Microcode+Windows Patch.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 03:43 PM   #225
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
The patch was pulled due to resets on certain system, then it spread from those certain systems to this new patch that has just been released.

Question is have you downloaded a new bios since your on Intel it requires Microcode+Windows Patch.
My mobo is this one and there hasn't been a new BIOS since 2011, lol. I'm also on i7 Lynnfield if that makes any difference.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...UD3R-rev-20#ov
Old Jan 27, 2018, 01:26 PM   #226
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
My mobo is this one and there hasn't been a new BIOS since 2011, lol. I'm also on i7 Lynnfield if that makes any difference.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...UD3R-rev-20#ov
Heh I'm in almost exactly the same boat.

I wonder what percentage of mobos made in the last 10 years will get a bios update....
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2018, 01:31 PM   #227
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

They talked about that in a linus tech tips livestream, seems that z170 will be the cutoff point for the fix when it comes to mainstream motherboards.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2018, 06:45 PM   #228
Megaman
Packing heat!

Old Jan 29, 2018, 07:23 PM   #229
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/01...ltdown_spectre

Apple's Response : We're Apple; Malware, Viruses ETC don't pertain to us so go away.

Amazon's Response : Why the **** are you contacting us?

Intel's Response : Its all AMD's fault, hey what's that over there?

AMD's Resposne : We've done internal testing and find that none of this effects our processor line. It will need to be fixed on the OS level.

Microsoft's Response : We're waiting on Intel to stop ****ing everything up.

Google's Response : Its not our fault, we gave Intel the information, they waited to sell off stock before they did anything about it.

ARM's Response : Waiting on Intel to fix our problem.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 07:30 PM   #230
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I might actually watch that hearing, just for the lolz. Congress asking questions about something none of them are even remotely close to being able to comprehend.

Before the hearing... "Siri, what's Spectre?"

I think you pretty much nailed the responses there Hapa.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:26 PM   #231
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
They talked about that in a linus tech tips livestream, seems that z170 will be the cutoff point for the fix when it comes to mainstream motherboards.
He was a bit salty that none of his recently purchased X99 video editing workstation boards will receive BIOS updates. If he had bought proper business class ThinkStation/Precision workstations instead of consumer grade crap he would not have that problem.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2018, 01:28 PM   #232
spike700
Rage3D Veteran

spike700 is still being judged by the masses

Hate to get all technical but I have been doing a lot of reading about this and would really like to get conformation/corrected by somebody more knowledgeable on the subject.

Spectre V1:

Malicious code directly speculates into user memory (unsure if this requires manipulation of the BTB or if it is accomplished with only a mispredicted branch? I believe it is the latter)
It is remotely exploitable but would be difficult to directly target specific data, ie: we know there is a password stored in the web browser's memory space, but we don't know exactly where.

Spectre V2:

Malicious code manipulates/poisons the branch target buffer and branch history which actually allows an attacker to point the cpu to an instruction that the attacker has placed in memory to be speculatively executed. The attack can also involve system calls so that the speculative execution can be performed from an elevated process and protected memory can be read without triggering a page fault. Through process that i don't quite understand, the exact memory addresses of the kernel/vmhost etc can be deduced.

Actually taking advantage of this exploit requires advanced knowledge of the branch prediction behavior of the specific CPU architecture being targeted. An attack developed to work on a haswell CPU won't work on a skylake CPU due to skylake having deeper branch history. It also requires intimate knowledge of the target process.

V2 is theoretically remotely exploitable but would require realtime access to the output of the malicious code to really be effective. Difficulty would increase if the target CPU doesn't support hyper threading.

Meltdown is functionally very similar to spectre V1 except that it is kernel memory that is being speculated into not user memory. Fixed by not mapping kernel memory into user address space.

Again not trying to post this as fact, just curious if I am understanding it right. Another thing I am not clear on is how the data is being read out, in particular on a CPU without hyper threading.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
****nig amzanig huh?
------------------------------------------------------
spike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2018, 02:55 PM   #233
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Intel also shared details of the exploits with China months before notifying the NSA. Trying to get back in bed with the Chinese after major Baidu AMD server farm purchase and VIA's Chinese indigenous x86 chip?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 02:31 AM   #234
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
My CPU isn't even on that PDF list.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 09:12 PM   #235
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

updated my bios. zero loss in performance here.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:15 PM   #236
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
updated my bios. zero loss in performance here.
That's because your system is already slow.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:59 PM   #237
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
That's because your system is already slow.
Do you even AVX-512, bro?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:22 PM   #238
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Do you even AVX-512, bro?
I AVX-1024 Bro

Old Feb 25, 2018, 07:34 PM   #239
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Thanks for the notice. I appear to be about 6 years behind... :/
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:54 PM   #240
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

So is this 30% performance hit real? From what I understand of the situation, I believe the OS patch has been aplied on my system but I'm not noticing any performance issues... With that said, not sure if my CPU (Lynnfield below in sig) is even affected by the bugs to begin with.