Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 15, 2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Fax machine is dialing but not sending faxes

I don't understand what the heck is going on here. I have a fax machine and it's dialing the correct fax number, I can hear it even start making the connection sound, but then it prints an error report saying "no answer". I have tried multiple different faxes to different companies and numbers and the exact same thing happens. I do not understand what is wrong and google doesn't seem to be very helpful here.

Does anybody have any experience with fax machines? The one I'm using is an Epson WF-3640.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I ran the fax machines internal diagnostic mode and it printed the result and said everything passed and the fax machine is ok.

Product hardware: Pass

Phone cable connection: Pass

Connection Port Check: Pass

Phone Line Connection Quality Check: Pass

Dial Tone Detection: Pass

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 15, 2018 at 09:10 AM.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 12:09 PM   #2
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Check this thread out and see if it helps; solution might be to change the number of rings to answer

http://www.fixya.com/support/t116056..._39_t_fax_some

Also have you perhaps tried using a different baud rate?
Old May 15, 2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Do you have a traditional phone line or digital?
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 15, 2018, 01:48 PM   #4
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyxCLAVEx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Do you have a traditional phone line or digital?
Traditional.

Old May 15, 2018, 01:49 PM   #5
xCLAVEx
Not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Check this thread out and see if it helps; solution might be to change the number of rings to answer

http://www.fixya.com/support/t116056..._39_t_fax_some

Also have you perhaps tried using a different baud rate?
I don't think changing the rings is the issue as I can clearly hear it attempting to make a connection then it goes silent and the fax machine makes some clicking noises before the "no answer" error code but I'll check it anyway and see if there's a setting.

I'll try a different baud rate too and see what happens.

Old May 15, 2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Doesn't look like there are a lot of options to play with... Start with the baud rate as curio suggests:

https://files.support.epson.com/doci...368/index.html

Also make sure the line type is set correctly.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

What's a fax machine?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 08:20 AM   #8
confusedsoul
Radeon Sea Islands

confusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyconfusedsoul can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Change buad rate and make sure firmware updated: https://epson.com/Support/Printers/A...-8796125866060

Did problem just start happening? How wet is it around you? Rain can affect phone lines substantially.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:53 AM   #9
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

It sounds weird, but sometimes when you hear the fax machine making the modem connecting noise, you need to push the start button again. This somehow initiates start of transmittal. And sometimes the other party also has to press start on their fax machine when it starts connecting. Doesn't make sense, but often worked for me back in the 90ies.

Also, a big problem is that most phone lines nowadays are digital. Even if its still a copper line running to your home, somewhere along the way the signal is converted to digital and compressed, and then converted back to analog. Depending on the compression, it may severely impact fax transmission. Not much you can do about that, but it wont hurt to make sure you have direct connection, without any splitters, filters, etc.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Hi, email was invented in 199X.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 11:36 AM   #11
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Hi, email was invented in 199X.
Actually, email has been around since the 70s
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote