Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 7, 2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Default Who was phone? (Some bastard is spoofing my number...)

So yesterday morning I get a phonecall... from my own phone. The caller ID says it's my number, when I answer, I get immediate silence and disconnection.

Then at 3 am today, I get two calls within 5 minutes from my own number again. This doesn't seem usual for a Robocaller or telemarketer, since if they don't get through to someone straight away they just move onto the next number. My message bank for after-hours calls does say to call twice if it's an emergency, so I suspect someone is using an app or VoIP to pull this off.

Have gotten in touch with my provider to see if there's any way they can track the origin of the call, but I doubt it. In the meantime, I've had to block my own telephone number on my phone

Anyone else had this happen?
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

It's Liam Neeson and you're screwed.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The calls are coming from inside the house!

Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 7, 2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
Anyone else had this happen?
Yes, its happened to me a few times. Never found out what it was exactly.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2016, 09:07 PM   #5
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

it's obviously a future version of you trying to contact you back in time to give you lottery numbers
Old Jun 7, 2016, 09:17 PM   #6
FiggyG
Radeon Caribbean Islands

FiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete strangerFiggyG once held a door open for a complete stranger

VOIP will let you send any number you want as caller id.
FiggyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:46 PM   #7
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It's Liam Neeson and you're screwed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
The calls are coming from inside the house!

Liam Neeson is in his house!
@OzzieBloke
Is this your work number? Any idea who might wanna do this to you?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:52 PM   #8
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

They're scammers. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish, because most people I talked to about it in the past say there's no one on the other end.

Whoever does it, this particular issue happens once or twice a year, if you see it, just ignore the call. Telemarketers and scammers usually come in waves.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:35 AM   #9
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Well, the answer seems is more innocuous, but more annoying.

Seems the time of day message bank system on my provider screwed the pooch, and my provider "fixed" the problem.

Of course, after they "fixed" the problem, I immediately logged into my message bank to see if they had screwed up the time of day message system, and the whole thing had been deleted.

So, spent another half an hour re-recording the after-hours message and emergency details, programming the time periods again using the laborious voice system on the phone, and verifying it works.

**** you, Optus.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:38 AM   #10
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

But then, who was phone?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2016, 06:01 AM   #11
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
But then, who was phone?
The automated call-back feature on the message bank that is supposed to detect messages older than half an hour, and call me to alert me to a message I haven't listened to.

The thing is, I never activated that system in the first place. The only reason it did was because the message bank on Optus spotted a particularly fetching French poodle and said, yes, yes that will do nicely.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I got a call from my own number few years back when I was driving. It's very weird and when I picked it up It automatically disconnects. It never happens again afterwards.
Apocalypsee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2016, 08:20 AM   #13
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:46 PM   #14
General Lee
High-tech Redneck

General Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselGeneral Lee exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I've had this happen. Usually what they do is a test run, kind of like war-dialing. They check numbers to see which are active, which are machines (fax, or modems back in the day), which are actual people, etc. If a person picks up, they will save that number to call back later. Usually they'll use a different number, probably a different spoofed one, to call back later. They use VOIP to spoof phone numbers, and pretty much make it impossible to trace where the call came from. Scammers love this technique, because you would have to get the telecoms and ISPs working together to figure out the origin of the call. Then you have to worry about VPNs and proxies. Unless a SERIOUS crime is committed in relation to the calls, not even law enforcement is going to give a damn. Not even the FBI cares until something BIG comes into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
All I am envisioning right now is the General Lee car with no paint, Cheetos stuffed into the gas tank, and coming out the tail pipe, in a huge pool of Jello :p
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2016, 01:27 AM   #15
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post
The automated call-back feature on the message bank that is supposed to detect messages older than half an hour, and call me to alert me to a message I haven't listened to.

The thing is, I never activated that system in the first place. The only reason it did was because the message bank on Optus spotted a particularly fetching French poodle and said, yes, yes that will do nicely.
So the phone was phone!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2016, 02:06 AM   #16
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
So the phone was phone!
Phoneception.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 05:37 AM   #17
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Does your lock screen look something like this?

jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote