Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Feedback Central
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Feedback Central This is a place to post problems, suggestions, comments, or help regarding the forums or site. This is not a place to air your mod-related grievances as first-resort.

Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Exclamation Rage3D Help Wanted - Join the News Crew!

So, you're the one people go to when they want to know what's going on in the tech world - you know, the one that gets that juicy nugget of info before anyone else. Your friends don't understand how you do it, and you're too sly to share your secrets. Sounds like a good fit for the Rage3D News Crew!

Interested? Read the News Guidelines then show us what you've got (no, not more of those pictures please ScottDoom ) in the Submit News forum. We'll be keeping an eye on it ... and you.

If you have any questions, or want to recommend one of your buddies for the News Crew, feel free to post in this thread and/or send Lupine a PM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Can we clean up the news forums and subforums, too? If we're not going to differentiate the news posts by their content into subforums, it would be simpler to just put everything in one forum.

Previously only AMD/ATI related news went in the main News forum with Tech news reserved for other companies, Gaming news for games and so on. Now it's all just dumped in the main news forum which screws up the RSS feeds if you want different categories of news. Additionally the news posting guidelines appear to be being ignored, although they could possibly benefit from review and update.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'd like to welcome Moshpit & Erek to the News Crew! Both have been doing a great job bringing news to the front page for some time, and I'm pleased to make their participation official. Welcome!

More help is good, so if anyone else is interested in bringing in the news, let me know!
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Can we clean up the news forums and subforums, too? If we're not going to differentiate the news posts by their content into subforums, it would be simpler to just put everything in one forum.

Previously only AMD/ATI related news went in the main News forum with Tech news reserved for other companies, Gaming news for games and so on. Now it's all just dumped in the main news forum which screws up the RSS feeds if you want different categories of news. Additionally the news posting guidelines appear to be being ignored, although they could possibly benefit from review and update.
I'd be happy to have a discussion on News Posts & Formatting, and am open to suggestions on what you guys think would improve the formatting / styling / etc. As to the News Subforums, not opposed to tweaking that either.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Happy to be aboard! News is fun stuffs!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I'd like to welcome Moshpit & Erek to the News Crew!
Congrats guys!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:37 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
I'd be happy to have a discussion on News Posts & Formatting, and am open to suggestions on what you guys think would improve the formatting / styling / etc. As to the News Subforums, not opposed to tweaking that either.
I think the first step is establishing what should be front page news. Do we want to just repost and link to other tech sites? Do we want to include phones, tablets, prebuilt computers, tv's/htpc/home theater? do we want deep technical articles about new innovations, discoveries and inventions? driver and application updates? which drivers, which applications? The news guys should agree on a focus for the front page.

aggregation and collation might be a good way to bring visitors to rage3d, to provide an opinion and brief overview of a subject being discussed by several sites. reposting news entries from other sites, that are often links to another site, doesn't give people reasons to go to r3d, but rather the site that is further up the chain.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
I think the first step is establishing what should be front page news. Do we want to just repost and link to other tech sites? Do we want to include phones, tablets, prebuilt computers, tv's/htpc/home theater? do we want deep technical articles about new innovations, discoveries and inventions? driver and application updates? which drivers, which applications? The news guys should agree on a focus for the front page.
Very well said. To my understanding, we're a site themed around ATI/AMD, hence the name Rage3D, referring to a past video chip from ATI. News from around that theme would seem to me to be based on relevant items in that category. Pretty much anything that goes in the PC can affect video performance, IQ, stability, etc.

Being that we're not a BROAD tech related site, I don't believe things like mobile phones or other gadgets apply unless they can be linked in some way to the theme of our site.

For example: Obviously, if AMD comes up with a chip that Apple uses in it's iPhone, that's relevant. If Apple decides that iPhone is going to have carrier antenna on the moon, that's great, but we need to show Rage readers how that relates to the subject matter of this site, because that iPhone has an AMD chip inside it. Or maybe even a competitors chip, but we should point that out and make THAT the focus of iPhone news, not the iPhone or it's super-duper moon antenna.

Themed sites are generally not broad industry news related. I notice we do hit the broad industry as it relates to our subject matter, but beyond that we lose our focus and reason for being "Rage3D".

This is ALL totally my own opinion and may not reflect the reality of where we've moved to, hence my statement of it so if I'm wrong it can be corrected
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Rage3D is a fan-based and fan-run community website with a strong affiliation to AMD/ATI... its not like we have the resources such as other sites that are closer to a company-like infrastructure like with a payroll and news reporters gathering details for those exclusive stories. How can we expect to have news exclusives beyond AMD's generosity for how our site is?

i wouldn't expect too much breaking and exclusive news from Rage3D without paid employees and news reporters or a headquarters...

this isn't EETimes where we have a weekly or monthly subscription print publication or even podcast...
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:45 PM   #10
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
Rage3D is a fan-based and fan-run community website with a strong affiliation to AMD/ATI...
Interesting that you mention that since most of your news post don't deal with AMD/ATI.

Just sayin'.

yoz
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:47 PM   #11
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Rage3D is a fan-based and fan-run community website with a strong affiliation to AMD/ATI... its not like we have the resources such as other sites that are closer to a company-like infrastructure like with a payroll and news reporters gathering details for those exclusive stories. How can we expect to have news exclusives beyond AMD's generosity for how our site is?

i wouldn't expect too much breaking and exclusive news from Rage3D without paid employees and news reporters or a headquarters...

this isn't EETimes where we have a weekly or monthly subscription print publication or even podcast...
There's really no resources needed for what we're doing. I don't even use our affiliate news feed since all of our affiliates are already daily browsed sites I hit already anyway. Literally, the only resource I've been using is my browsing habits and what pops out as relevant to our current theme that I find.

Just an example based on how I've been doing it so far. AMD's generosity has little to no bearing on my supporting the fact that ATI and now AMD was the central draw of readership for this site. Throwing the competition in even spices it up a bit, IMO. But that's still relevant to the theme I believe.

I may be over-harping this "theme" thing though. It's just my impression.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:53 PM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

I would also add, the word "exclusive" is more related to our site content like the reviews and editorials done here. Other then that though, over my first 3 days, I can point to several of my news posts that have beaten the more mainsteam hardware sites to the front page, by up to a full day in a couple of cases.

Daily browsing, bro. When I beat HardOCP and Tech Report to the punch, I get all giggly inside

Edit: Qualifying statement: I get all happy about beating HardOCP and Techreport only because of how much I respect them for nailing daily news. That's important to me, so to scoop them feels really good
Old Jan 26, 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Lupine
Administrator

Oh come on. Its okay to want to rub competitors' noses in the proverbial dirt.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:05 PM   #14
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
I do enjoy it, I admit

Beating Tech Report to the punch on the Asus motherboard price hikes REALLY got me worked up and grinnin'.

EDIT: DANGIT, I beat them! I remember doing so by a bit even. We're not on same timezone as them, are we? Grrrr, robbed

Edit #2: I'll get that pidgeon!

Last edited by moshpit : Jan 26, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:08 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

If you can beat the chinese guys, I'd be impressed
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:10 PM   #16
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
If you can beat the chinese guys, I'd be impressed
Hmmmm. Tall order there
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:09 PM   #17
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
There's really no resources needed for what we're doing. I don't even use our affiliate news feed since all of our affiliates are already daily browsed sites I hit already anyway. Literally, the only resource I've been using is my browsing habits and what pops out as relevant to our current theme that I find.

Just an example based on how I've been doing it so far. AMD's generosity has little to no bearing on my supporting the fact that ATI and now AMD was the central draw of readership for this site. Throwing the competition in even spices it up a bit, IMO. But that's still relevant to the theme I believe.

I may be over-harping this "theme" thing though. It's just my impression.
to clarify what i mean about AMD's generosity is the providing of hardware for exclusive reviews, the providing of information for exclusive news, and the providing of software (ex: the catalyst profiles) for exclusive release by Rage3D...

things along those lines
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:10 PM   #18
erek
Banned

Quote:
NvNews?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:52 PM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

This is an example of something I feel should not be posted to the front page - http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid33973309
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:43 PM   #20
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
NvNews?
We do have some overlap with HardOCP and TR for news types.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:44 AM   #21
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
This is an example of something I feel should not be posted to the front page - http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid33973309
Yeah, how's is the PSP2 related to AMD/ATI or even PC gaming graphics?

yoz
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:40 AM   #22
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

For the PSP2, while it is stretching it, I CAN see a relevant connection because erek did make the connection by pointing out the PowerVR chip inside it, as I requested earlier. PowerVR is a competitor to Radeon, in a distant way, but it is competition. Also, with Windows 8 getting ready to add ARM support, a quad core ARM with built in PowerVR becomes a little more relevant. It's distinctly possible that the PSP2 rumored specs could be quite reflective of future PC hand helds as well. All pure speculation on my part, but I can give erek props on this one as I do see a relevant connection.

Last edited by moshpit : Jan 27, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:07 AM   #23
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Considering how Teh Suck today is for finding news, I'm inclined to keep the PSP2 story, lol. It's really barren today of juicy tidbits. Will keep looking though!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:27 PM   #24
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Considering how Teh Suck today is for finding news, I'm inclined to keep the PSP2 story, lol. It's really barren today of juicy tidbits. Will keep looking though!
Some days news are just slow but the point is do we want console related stuff on the front page, regardless of what GPU is inside them?

I say no, for what it's worth.

yoz
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:59 PM   #25
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Some days news are just slow but the point is do we want console related stuff on the front page, regardless of what GPU is inside them?

I say no, for what it's worth.
I see and understand your point. Consoles are NOT what Rage3D is about, nor are mobile phones, nor copying machines, nor anything else that has zero connect to our general theme. But, I can kinda see a little bit of console spicing as long as we can show how it relates to our theme, in the case of this posting, for example.

The fact Erek showed the hardware inside and it's similarity to a possible future we're looking at within our own themed area, I think keeping an eye on ARM advances is becoming more relevant to us since Windows 8 will make ARM part of our selection choices.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:09 PM   #26
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Based on that, I'd say that when Windows 8 ships ARM will become relevant, but not until then.

ARM is relevant to me where it overlaps SoC designs or is used in home theater/computing devices; NAS, routers, set top boxes, media center extenders, etc.

Regarding phones, they are such as pervasive part of our lives that it's hard to ignore the technology and products, but I think some discretion should be used to concentrate more on the innovative, remarkable aspects or uses. The tablets and docking phones, for example.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #27
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Based on that, I'd say that when Windows 8 ships ARM will become relevant, but not until then.

ARM is relevant to me where it overlaps SoC designs or is used in home theater/computing devices; NAS, routers, set top boxes, media center extenders, etc.

Regarding phones, they are such as pervasive part of our lives that it's hard to ignore the technology and products, but I think some discretion should be used to concentrate more on the innovative, remarkable aspects or uses. The tablets and docking phones, for example.
Fair points. I can totally see that and concur.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:47 PM   #28
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

On a side note, I beat PC Perspective to the news story about the 190 dollar mobo battle @ Anand's by 4 days.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Guess I shoulda took a notepad to CES when I went. :-\
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:14 PM   #30
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

You need to remove erek from the news crew. His choices for content are terrible.

Seriously, posting Steve Jobs has 6 weeks to live?