Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old May 30, 1999, 10:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BeardedClem
Nine and a half Courics

BeardedClem is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Yeah, but........

Quote:
Originally posted by cveale
This is all well and good if a scene was designed with a low polygon count to begin with. Then Trueform could internally "up" the number of triangles and display them , thus saving bandwidth. But.... what if the scene was drawn with a high polygon count to begin with. There will be no geometry savings , because if the polygon count is already high enough to emulate curves and smooth edges, then the Truespace method will not really increase the detail much but still have to read all the vertex data for the trianges. What I am worried about is everyone coding for NVidia and creating high polygon count games because the is the only good method the GeForce3 has to create the illusion of curved surfaces. What do you guys think?

I belive the article said you can increase or decrease the number of extrapolated triangles the gpu draws, so you might choose a less complex N-mesh for a future game with high polygon model that doesn't need many more polys to look smooth.

But my question is this:

It seems to say that Trueform can be used for any game, even old ones like Quake 1. Is this true? does this mean that game developers don't even have to program for it for the benefits to be seen? If so, that would would be the deciding factor in my choice of a Radeon2 over a Geforce3 next year. If not, it would be just another cool new video card feature that goes unused because game developers have to write specific code for it.
BeardedClem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 1999, 10:37 PM   #2
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Uriel is still being judged by the masses

Default well

if the game is already as smooth as possible: turn of the N-Patch feature
as simple as that
or don't implement it in the program code

to very easy options
Old May 29, 2001, 05:30 AM   #3
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Default ATI's TRUFORM Technology In-Depth

http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=701<BR>

a very intresting read to say the LEAST !!!
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 29, 2001, 05:34 AM   #4
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Hello!
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 05:35 AM   #5
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

"While at e3 we were shown a few demos of TRUFORM working in realtime, ths first of these is pictured above. First we saw a dolphin which had a relatively low polygon count. Running below it, in split-screen, was a dolphin that had been run through TRUFORM. The difference was amazing."

"The dolphin on TRUFORM not only was lit more realistically, but appeared more life-like. Gone were the boxy edges and corners that most 3D gamers have become accustomed to. Instead the dolphin was rounded, curvy, etc etc. It looked like a damn dolphin."

http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.c...eid=701&page=4
Old May 29, 2001, 06:19 AM   #6
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default wooooow

that's amazing

Radeon II will suport this? (can't read it all right now)
Old May 29, 2001, 06:43 AM   #7
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

word is YES the Radeon (r200) will indeed have TRUFORM support.

Also of more interest:
The BOY WONDER does ATI, in TRUly wonderful FORM I must say too...

http://anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1476

"Briefly, what TRUFORM technology does is take triangle information from a game, internally convert the triangles into curved surfaces, .....
Since all of this occurs in the TRUFORM capable T&L engine, no performance is lost in the creation of the new surfaces."

"Once the surface is curved, it is then chopped into segments of smaller triangles in a process known as tessellation.
The surface can be split as many times as desired, and an increased number of splits results in an increased image quality. It is with these splits that TRUFORM creates a renderable set of triangles out of the curved surface it just made.
Once again, since the tessellation process occurs in the TRUFORM T&L segment of the ATI chip, no performance is lost. Also, since the texture information for this new, super triangle is exactly the same texture information needed for the original triangle, no additional information needs to be passed over the memory bus."

"On the programing side, applying TRUFORM technology to a new or existing game actually only requires one line of code: the rest of done in the T&L part of ATI's chip.
Since TRUFORM uses the information that is already there to make games look better, it can be applied to every 3D game on the market. This means that everything you currently play has the potential to look better on a card with TRUFORM technology.
"

basically TRUFORM (curved surfaces thru the use of N-Patches) comes at NO addition perfomance COST, enabling TRUFORM is as simple as ONE LINE of CODE and TRUFORM can be used by not only new games but ALL existing games as well.
Old May 29, 2001, 06:53 AM   #8
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default yup

I read the whole article, couldn't wait =)

damn that stuff is amazing!!!

Radeon II MAXX is gonne be THE shiet!!!!

combined with a Palomino and the new 300Mhz DDR
ohh damn, that's gonna be one outstanding rig

now wich bank should I rob?
Old May 29, 2001, 06:54 AM   #9
Hellhound
Radeon R300

Hellhound is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

Another in-depth analysis of TRUEFORM (in German)

www.3dconcept.ch
Hellhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 07:16 AM   #10
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

the ONLY bad I could find was that the Radeon 2 WILL NOT have pixel shaders 1.1, but then again with TRUFORM who NEEDS Pixel shaders 1.1 ?!

Geforce WHO ?
NV WHAT ?
Old May 29, 2001, 07:53 AM   #11
paju
Radeon R520

paju is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up Makes sence

Now it makes sence that Radeon 2 will actually be shipped at fall. I was wondering what took them so long to implement DX8.1 specs when Radeon is actually quite close to it.

The result of TRUEFORM looked good - a bit too much reflection I would say but still very good. Hopefully this will be used by the developers too (not just as an option to turn it on and hope it looks great, which I believe will not be the case everytime). I just hope ATI didn't reveal this info too early so that nVidia can duplicate it or start bashing that "it's not good for anything" or "it has this and that flaw" etc. bs . They most certainly will!

@md_guy: I may have read the article a bit too fast but to IIRC ATI didn't say that they will not implement pixel shaders. I think, it's quite important feature because of GeFarce 3 and developers commitment to GF3 - they most certainly will use it so ATI should implement it.

And what comes to benchmarks then at least at the fall they will be more or less obsolete. How can you measure image quality with benchmark app? That's what TRUEFORM really improves.

I would like to be a fly at the ceiling at nVidia now

paju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 08:01 AM   #12
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default grrr

if they don't implement pixel shaders I'm gonna kill 'em!!!

why the hell shouldn't they?!
Old May 29, 2001, 08:07 AM   #13
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default check it out!

Old May 29, 2001, 08:15 AM   #14
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default according to this article

most software will be constructed with Trueform-type of technology in mind

apparently GF3 is missing at least 2 important DX8 features, while radII will support 8.1 to the fullest

yay!
Old May 29, 2001, 08:29 AM   #15
DarkVamp
Radeon R700

DarkVamp is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by @md_Guy
the ONLY bad I could find was that the Radeon 2 WILL NOT have pixel shaders 1.1
What are you talking about ????

My PC: http://www.sysprofile.de/id143122
DarkVamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 08:52 AM   #16
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default ca you imagine?!

EBMB, Pixel Shading, Vertex Shading, TRUFORM etc.
and all the other nice features you an think of

using all of those should be a possiblílity using the RAdeon II and a Palomino/"new" Pentium 4 (whatever they're called) without that much of a speedloss

imagine photorealistic, Toy Story type of graphics running at 60-70 fps!!!

damn we're in for a ride that you couldn't even imagine just a few months ago

so.. who'll team up with me and rob some bank or something?
Old May 29, 2001, 09:01 AM   #17
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkVamp

Read it SLLOOWWLLYY if you must ....

The Radeon 2 (most LIKELY) WILL NOT have full 1.1 pixel shader support !!

Read it again if YOU MUST:

The Radeon 2 (most LIKELY) WILL NOT have full 1.1 pixel shader support !!

This comes from 3 seperate and RELIABLE sources, ALL of whom meet and spoke with ATI represenatives at e3.

For those who prefer to see it in print:
http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.c...eid=701&page=8

"One feature lacking will be the use a full scale pixel shader, a technology included in the GeForce3 from Nvidia, and shown off in the fourth demo of 3DMark2001. It is entirely possible that this ATI technology will make a pixel-shader unimportant.
I brought up this issue to the ATI guys while meeting with them at E3. The Radeon2 will more than likely not have a DirectX 8.1 compliant pixel-shader."

Don't get me wrong, I have supported ATI (through thick and through thin from Mach64 all th eway up to 3 Radeon based products. I (IMO) still believe the Radeon to be AHEAD of the GF3 (feature wise) and that it is the GF3 CATCHING up to the Radeon as far as features and support HOWEVER UNLESS you have PERSONAL contacts at ATI who can personally confirm that PS 1.1 WILL indeed be supported my post remains as is.

I value all of your opinions however I do NOT take lightly to being attacked simply because I deliver news that YOU personally may not like. I made the decision a week ago to withhold this info until today hoping that ATI would withdraw their position on PS 1.1 however thay have NOT done so as of yet and I feel it necessary to alert potential Radeon users/purchasers BEFORE they get THEIR minds made up that the Radeon 2 will offer such support. There is nothing worse than wild speculation forming the basis of peoples expectastions only to be let down in the end of THEIR own projections and not those of the deveopers.
Old May 29, 2001, 09:02 AM   #18
qwqwq
Banned

qwqwq is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkVamp

I think he is talking about this: http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.c...eid=701&page=8
qwqwq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 09:11 AM   #19
Uriel
Unbiased Geek

Default too bad

according to that german article it will support both vertex and pixel shaders though

sure hope so
I don't belive that truform could replace the shader in any way
the implementations of the two are completly different

they better get their act together
the step from the radeon 0.5 to 1.0 or 1.1 can't be that far now can it? (even though they are not much alike at least they have the full specs of the technology now)
Old May 29, 2001, 09:20 AM   #20
sc5mu93
Radeon R520

sc5mu93 is still being judged by the masses

Default i love anandtech...

i love this quote too:
"NVIDIA was the first card manufacturers to emphasize image improving features over frame rate with their GeForce3 product."

thats funny. first i love that fact that now NVIDIA is a card manufacturer(s). and the fact that NVIDIA was the first to focus on improving features over framerate.

what a hoot!
sc5mu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 09:24 AM   #21
Itchiee
Why Bother?

Itchiee is still being judged by the masses

Great...Some more ATI Technology that Nvidia can steal(Hyper Z anyone?)..
Old May 29, 2001, 09:25 AM   #22
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

yeah I saw that too..mad eme LAUGH my @$$ off !!!

Like the words NVidia and Image Enhancing need be in the SAME sentence !
Old May 29, 2001, 09:51 AM   #23
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

This stuff is amazing, I maybe upgrading sooner then I thought. Gotta get, Gotta get Radeon 2 .
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 10:47 AM   #24
Himself
Resident

Himself is still being judged by the masses

N-Patches are cool, it's nice to see them in a video card for the PC, hope the drivers for the Radeon 2 are better than the Radeon drivers though.
Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 11:27 AM   #25
KillthemZ
Radeon R420

KillthemZ is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy

I think that ATI should have kept secret still these infos on their new technologies. When RadII will be released around september, it won't be a big surprise for Nvidia and co. It will have the same effect than with Radeon 1, not much enthusiasm in reviews because Nvidia will annonce in a near future probably such a feature for it's next card which will be released very soonly after Rad2... (HyperZ has been very copied like you know and it's Nvidia who got all rewards with its GF3... )
KillthemZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 12:53 PM   #26
ZepBrian
Banned

ZepBrian is still being judged by the masses

i like this stuff, it makes me happy

seriously though... this is just another step that ATI is taking to make games LOOK GOOD, which is the opposite of NVIDIA.... im applaud ATI for doing this!
ZepBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 12:58 PM   #27
qwqwq
Banned

qwqwq is still being judged by the masses

From a PDF on ATI's site
qwqwq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 02:24 PM   #28
Ogreboy
Computer: 2000 dollars, Internet: 40 dollars, Getting owned by an Admin after crashing his computer with a stupid link = Priceless

Ogreboy is still being judged by the masses

I think ATI is forgetting all the games that are being developed with nVidia in mind. The general population of gamers jump on any bandwagon they see, and the newest would be the GF3 bandwagon. By not supporting features for games that will be out with pixel shading (which will debut before we see truform anywhere), they're cutting themselves off from a vital link of games. Please ATI, why can't we have the best of both worlds? And some good 16-bit quality?
Old May 29, 2001, 02:52 PM   #29
Stregone
Radeon R520

Stregone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by qwqwq

From a PDF on ATI's site
That pic loads painfully slow and then just stops after 80k or so

WinXP
Athlon XP 3000+
Abit NF7-S v2
2GB RAM
Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2001, 03:06 PM   #30
Dalhectar
Radeon R420

Dalhectar is still being judged by the masses

Not supporting Pixel Shaders is a big mistake. How many OEMs will choose a video card that does not have full DX8.1 compliance? Get it right ATI!
2 x Corsair CMX512-3200C2, PNY Verto GeForce 6800 128MB DDR, Western Digital 36GB 360GD and 200GB WD2000JB, NEC ND-3500A DVD±RW, Toshiba SD-1712 DVD-ROM, Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2, Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 TV Tuner card, Koutech IO-PFW310 Firewire card, Iiyama ProLite 4431 17.4" LCD, Logitech Cordless Elite Duo Mouse & Keyboard, Zalman CUPS-7000alcu CPU Cooler, Nexus iStyle Case, PC Power and Cooling Silencer 400 PS, StreamZap PC Remote

HTPC-
AMD AMD64 3000+ Socket 754 CPU, MSI K8T Neo-FSR motherboard, 2 x Infineon 256MB PC-2700, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, Seagate 40GB Barracuda 7200.7 and Western Digital 200GB WD2000JB, Pioneer DVD-120S DVD-ROM, Optorite DD0203 DVD±RW, Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250 TV Tuner card, Adaptec DuoConnect AUA-3121, Chaintech AV-710 sound card, Antec Overture Case, Atech Flash Pro-8MX Media Card Reader, Gyration Ultra GT Keyboard/Mouse Suite, StreamZap PC Remote, USB-UIRT IR transmitter/receiver
Dalhectar is offline   Reply With Quote