Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Mar 1, 2001, 03:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
dnottis
Rage3D Veteran

dnottis is still being judged by the masses

I want to commend everyone on a job well done. The 7089's are the best drivers to date! Even the power management works again...and games have never run so smooth! Thank you ATi and Rage3d crew for bringing these to us.

I have them installed on a clean install of Winme with no other tweaks except what is available in the drivers and man these suckers just smoke! UT is so smooth, NHL2001 is much faster/smoother, Rogue Squadron is FLAWLESS at 1280x1024, Quake 3 is about the same but I'm not bitching it's fast already, and the list continues to grow as I continue to install games. NOLF is next and from what I've seen the font problem is fixed.

Anyways thanks to all for a job well done!
Old Mar 1, 2001, 03:27 AM   #2
sili
Radeon R420

sili is still being judged by the masses

I think direct3d FSAA is busted in them. I like using it with Ultima Online Third Dawn, but it doenst seem to work anymore with the 7089. Rayman 2 is still busted. I went back to 3063 just to make sure it was a driver issue, and sure enough Rayman 2 was just fine. I went back and tried 7078 with FSAA in UO:3D, and it worked just fine. I wish would could have multiple choice driver bootups, hehe
sili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 03:41 AM   #3
dnottis
Rage3D Veteran

Hrmm dunno man...

Just a quick update Crimson Skies is sweet as ever at 1024x768. First time I can remeber Crimson Skies actually being smooth...and it's not only smooth but it's fast at 1024x768.

If you're having problems a clean install may be in order...I clean installed WinME tonight and haven't had a problem!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 1, 2001, 03:46 AM   #4
sili
Radeon R420

sili is still being judged by the masses

Rayman 2 is a driver problem. I have done clean installs using a bunch of different driver sets, and it has been broken in every 7 series of drivers. FSAA with 7089, I dunno. I installed 7089, didn't work in 2sample mode, went back and installed 7078 worked fine in 2sample mode.
sili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 04:57 AM   #5
dnottis
Rage3D Veteran

I've just gotten around to NOLF.......
the fonts are still corrupt in NOLF
Old Mar 1, 2001, 07:11 AM   #6
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Did you try changing "alternate pixel center" in the Direct3D tab of the advanced display panel, dnottis? May fix the NOLF text issue. I don't have it, but others have reported the new drivers fix NOLF.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 07:47 AM   #7
Himself
Resident

Himself is still being judged by the masses

Hibernate still doesn't work here, well it hibernates, then goes into a coma.
Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 09:27 AM   #8
jeffsi
Radeon R100

jeffsi is still being judged by the masses

I want new official ATI drivers (not beta, not special purpose, REAL , OFFICIAL, SUPPORTED). AFter 8 months ATI is way overdue to post a supported driver.

Jeff
jeffsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 10:20 AM   #9
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

The setup exec gave me better feelings about this driver set than the 7078's. I did detect a very very slight hopping when playing DVD's with this driver. Nothing wrong with frame rates just a slight up and down movement with the picture. This is most noticeable at the bottom edge of the letterbox (especially if the scene has a tiled floor or anything to provide easy reference with). I was using the Mononoke DVD where the main character hears about his fate. I'm thinking it is due to some minor system glitch or the fact that I did 3056->7078->7089 without a format anywhere rather than the drivers themselves.

Anyone can give me the steps to just install the multimedia part off the CD so I can just install one set of display drivers? I don't seem to remember a "custom" install on the CD or I did but it installs 3056 anyway only giving the option of installing MMC7 or not. I'm sure it's something simple that I overlooked but I'm at work now and the new drivers kept me up way too late last night.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 10:27 AM   #10
Darin

Darin is still being judged by the masses

Dodger,
I too have had mmc problems after a driver upgrade, and the fix is easier than you might think. I just go into add/remove prgrams, pick the ATI multimedia center, then choose an option to reinstall, or fix current installation, or somethign to that effect. It didn't even need the cd when I did it.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 12:48 PM   #11
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by dnottis
I want to commend everyone on a job well done. The 7089's are the best drivers to date! Even the power management works again...and games have never run so smooth! Thank you ATi and Rage3d crew for bringing these to us.

Anyways thanks to all for a job well done!
Thanks for the appreciative note. It's a significant part of what makes spending the time on something like this worthwhile to me (aside from the fact that I wanted the drivers to work for me as well )

Glad they are working well for you (and the vast majority of folks it seems)!

(hehe, god forbid I'd spent all this time fixing up the drivers so they'd install, and they turned out to be complete lemons...)

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2001, 01:27 PM   #12
dodger
Doggy

dodger is still being judged by the masses

Darin,

Thanks for the reply! I went home during lunch and tried it out. For some reason the repair decided to uninstall the DVD player (and require the CD). Well putting it back was just as easy. Unfortunately the problem still remains. It's very slight and I'm beginning to wonder if it was always there to begin with. Right now after staying up all night I'm a lil lazy about going back a few versions to see if it exists with older drivers so I'll live with it. The problem is very minor like the two lines you see with Trinitron monitors. Unless you specifically look for it you won't notice.

Thanks Ichneumon for the drivers too!
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2001, 10:27 AM   #13
Darin

Darin is still being judged by the masses

Dodger,
I just tried a dvd myself (I don't normally watch them on my computer). I think I say the same thing you are experiencing. The strange thing is, it comes & goes. I just pulled up the menu to a dvd (Chicken Run, if you want to know, which is hysterical). It looks fine, and the menu just sits there, while the music repeats (like it does on many dvds while showing the menu). Finally, at one point right when the music repeats again, the screan kinda jumps, then has a rapid up&down vibration, and also looks much less sharp. The strange thing is, once that happens, I can go into the setup mode & change a setting & it becomes normal again. Can't quite figure it out.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2001, 04:38 PM   #14
high_ping
King of the Wicker People

high_ping is still being judged by the masses

The more games I try the better it looks...I think that Rage3d is on the right track with this driver thing...if only we could get the FSAA to work without taking a "huge" performance hit! Like I said before, I still sneak in my son's room and play Q3A with FSAA 4x on the V5 5500 agp...awesome, and no performace hit!
high_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2001, 04:41 PM   #15
dnottis
Rage3D Veteran

hehe no performance hit!

Not quite...but it's not bad...
I still have my 5500 too!
Old Mar 3, 2001, 05:38 PM   #16
Flying_Elbow
Radeon R420

Flying_Elbow is still being judged by the masses

I have to agree, the 7089s, even though they don't work with the Summoner demo(I'll live), are pretty damn good.
Flying_Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2001, 06:08 PM   #17
dnottis
Rage3D Veteran

They sure are...best so far imo
Old Mar 3, 2001, 06:35 PM   #18
thoennes
Radeon R520

thoennes is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying_Elbow
I have to agree, the 7089s, even though they don't work with the Summoner demo(I'll live), are pretty damn good.
Yeah - but it's not just a Radeon problem. Geforce2 owners are reporting the same issue - everything's black.

The 7089's certainly are nice.
thoennes is offline   Reply With Quote