Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 1, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Cyssa101
I See You!

Cyssa101 is still being judged by the masses

Question PCI-E vs SLI

Alright here's the low down...

I'm slowly making a new list for an upcoming new rig and I'm having a hell of a time deciding which vid outlet I would like to turn to. I've been googling the info and looking at other forums, but I haven't really found the info that I needed.

Either general or specific, I'm wondering what the actual difference is between these two types of vid input. What are the pros and cons of each and which would I gain in more benefit though economical in sense. I am aware that ATi is building on an AMR for their PCI-E tech, but this info will help me lean in the right direction without plunging money that will not benefit my little wallet the best.

Thank you in advance!
Old May 1, 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

er... your post doesn't make sense. Are you sure you're asking the right questions?
SLI uses the PCIe interface, as will AMR. Are you asking for a comparison of SLI vs. AMR? Are you trying to decide whether you should go with a dual-card setup or single-card setup?
Single-card setups will probably always be more economical than dual-card setups, even when comparing 1 high-end card vs. 2 mid-range cards. The dual-card setup may very well outperform the single-card setup, but at a cost.
AMR mobos as well as R520 are just around the corner. Wait until they are released before you make your decision or you may live to regret it.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Cyssa101
I See You!

You've answered my question in your third sentence.

SLI uses the PCIe interface, as will AMR.

I wasn't sure if there was a total difference in the tech of the two, that's why I was asking here. Because I wasn't sure if buying one card was going to support both SLi or PCI-E in the same bout if I wanted to switch up.

Money is somewhat of an issue for me, but I'll scope out the info on the R520 to see what that's all about. I'm not buying the new upgrade any time soon, just still getting my list together slowly for when that time comes!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 1, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

PCI-E, SLI, and AMR are all not any type of video output. PCI-E is a bus structure. SLI and AMR are methods of using the PCI-E bus structure to incorperate two video cards.

VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite, and Component are types of Video output. But hardly matter in reference to your inteded question.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Cyssa101
I See You!

I didn't mean output, I meant to say what you were just referring to. Guess it would pay for me to wake up alittle more before I start posting!

And thank you for the fine explanation! You both have helped me greatly!
Cyssa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 12:05 PM   #6
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ristogod
PCI-E, SLI, and AMR are all not any type of video output. PCI-E is a bus structure. SLI and AMR are methods of using the PCI-E bus structure to incorperate two video cards.

VGA, DVI, S-Video, Composite, and Component are types of Video output. But hardly matter in reference to your inteded question.
*technically* PCIe is a point-to-point topology rather than a traditional "bus". Each PCIe lane is a point-to-point link between the card in the PCIe slot and the northbridge/southbridge (PCIe host chip).
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 04:44 AM   #7
morrell
Radeon R300

morrell is still being judged by the masses

to make things simple 4 u ,at the moment all sli boards ONLY support nvidia cards in sli . u can still use 2 ati cards in a sli board but they wont be sli'd eg 2 nvdias in sli mode = 2 cards runing at x8 = x16 whichis ideal. 2 ati cards in the same board which wont be in sli mode will fuction like this, card 1(or pcieslot1) will be 16x when u put the second card in slot 4 i think it is it will only be x4 both cards can only run at the slowest speed.right now there r no ati sli boards. so if you wanna ati card you either save some cash and buy a non sli board, if u wanna sli board u buy maybe 1 nvidia now and 1 later for cost or if u have lots of cash buy 2 nvidias now.
morrell is offline   Reply With Quote