Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

aRandomRobot is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home Coronavirus research

GPU work units simulating virus protein and cell receptor interactions are out of beta and now live on [email protected] This finally motivated me enough to fix a corrupted client on my desktop that was dropping every work unit. [email protected] also has some Coronavirus work units for CPU available too so I'm doing Rosetta on CPU and Folding on GPU. I'm not sure it feels good, but it does feel like something extra to help besides the obvious washing hands and trying to limit exposure.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/
https://www.ipd.uw.edu/2020/02/roset...g-coronavirus/

Last edited by aRandomRobot : Mar 12, 2020 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fat fingered the keyboard and posted before I was done typing
aRandomRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yep. reworked my PC to get [email protected] working. Registry editing is fun. -_-

Got a bunch of C19 WUs right off the bat.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:25 PM   #3
luxor
Mendoza

luxor is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for letting us know. I may restart the clients on my computers.
luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 14, 2020, 07:00 AM   #4
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Rejoined, again
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2020, 09:26 AM   #5
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Saw this and rejoined the cause too, Thanks for the heads up. Fah only figured my trusty old Bulldozer wouldn't be worth much on the cpu front.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:38 AM   #6
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ok, what am I missing, I've used my folding user name and team 64, but my signature is not showing any update?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:02 PM   #7
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium121 View Post
ok, what am I missing, I've used my folding user name and team 64, but my signature is not showing any update?
Did you have a passkey setup before? If so you might need to dig that up and enter it in the config also.

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/
Old Mar 14, 2020, 02:09 PM   #8
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aRandomRobot View Post
Did you have a passkey setup before? If so you might need to dig that up and enter it in the config also.

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/
Nope it, but it seems to be linked now.
I guessing a restart and time did the trick
Old Mar 14, 2020, 06:11 PM   #9
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

DarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkFoss can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You may see your gpu's idling from time to time due to server outages
Old Mar 15, 2020, 08:50 AM   #10
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah, definitely seeing the outages and server overload. I just started up folding again and I can only get my CPU and one of my graphics cards folding at any one time. It can't quite seem to get three WUs downloaded at the same time (lots of can't connect errors).

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2020, 09:43 AM   #11
jima13
Retired

jima13 is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home Very good

Welcome and welcome back folders! I was checking the stats and noticed we are +13 on the member front, 37 as of right now...
jima13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:32 AM   #12
jima13
Retired

Folding@home More info

Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:52 AM   #13
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

From page 7 of the Wuhan Corona Virus thread,
jonault wrote
I don't think some of the folks here appreciate just how fast the number of folders is increasing.

About a month ago, I looked at EOC to see how many people were actively folding (based on how many had earned at least one point in the last 7 days). IIRC, it was a bit over 7100 folders.

Late this morning when I checked the same number it was just over 18000. That's over 2.5x as many people folding in just a few weeks.

And when I looked again just now, it was over 20000. That's almost a 10% increase in less than 8 hours. :shock: (I forgot that EOC updates every 3 hours, so I was probably looking at the 9am & 3pm numbers, meaning an increase of 2000 folders in 6 hours.)

Edited to add: after the 6pm update, it's over 22600, so another 1500 or so joined in 3 hours.

Edited again: and after the 9pm update, it's up to 24601, adding another 2000. So in 12 hours we picked up about 6500 folders (up over 33%!), an amount almost equal to the total number of folders we had at the beginning of February.

Pretty awesome.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 01:13 PM   #14
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

konjini is still being judged by the masses

Folding@home

The speed this is going is nuts.
Protease inhibitors (PIs) stage already.
(class of antiviral drugs that are used to treat)

HTML Code:
https://twitter.com/voelzlab/status/1239213995376156674
konjini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2020, 01:29 PM   #15
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjini View Post
The speed this is going is nuts.
Protease inhibitors (PIs) stage already.
(class of antiviral drugs that are used to treat)

HTML Code:
https://twitter.com/voelzlab/status/1239213995376156674
Thanks for that.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 03:46 PM   #16
konjini
Radeon Northern Islands

konjini is still being judged by the masses

konjini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2020, 07:28 PM   #17
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

Folding@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
You may see your gpu's idling from time to time due to server outages
Definitely feeling the WU shortage today. I've only gotten 3 WUs today with tons of time sitting idle waiting for the server. It's great to see the active user count shoot up (and even some brand new folders, thank you!), hopefully the projects catch up and give us more proteins to fold
Old Mar 15, 2020, 08:55 PM   #18
jima13
Retired

Question My 2080ti

Ok, had this thing for about 6 months now and it was only doing 200-600k ppd. Coldn't figure out why; thought maybe the i7-2600 was holding it back...so earlier today when I checked it was at 2.6k...I'll take it, but still
Old Mar 16, 2020, 08:57 AM   #19
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Time to turn off my space heater; I'm joining in!

The client wasn't downloading any work units - I had to go into its config and deselect Cancer and pick Any Disease. The Web Browser drop-down didn't work for this.

My GPU is crunching things down nicely but the CPU sits idle. Error log says "[Can't download] No WUs available for this configuration."

Good news is my signature works.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2020, 01:15 PM   #20
absolutefunk
Insert witty remark here

absolutefunk is still being judged by the masses

Welcome all new and existing folders!! Seeing so many people come online to help the cause is truly heart warming! Thank you all

The WU shortages from my understanding are more of a distribution problem that will be resolved soon. Work is slowly trickling in

Stay safe everyone, and together through folding we can help beat this virus!

AXP-M 2400+ AQYHA; [email protected]
Asus A7N8X-E 1012 trats cpc=on
Crucial 1024mb PC3200; [email protected] (3-3-3-8)
Thermalright SP97 /w Delta 80mm
1X WD 2500JD
1X WD 600BB
Antec P160 /w TruePower 430w
ATi Radeon AIW 9800pro
Adaptec 2490uw SCSI /w 2x Plextor CD/CD-R

Folding @ Home: the only useful way to use that extra CPU... and possible GPU... time!!
absolutefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2020, 02:28 PM   #21
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutefunk View Post
Welcome all new and existing folders!! Seeing so many people come online to help the cause is truly heart warming! Thank you all

The WU shortages from my understanding are more of a distribution problem that will be resolved soon. Work is slowly trickling in

Stay safe everyone, and together through folding we can help beat this virus!

Your heart isn't as warm as my basement wall, I'm sure.

The rest of your post adds up with why I'm getting the strange log messages.

I folded with two computers for nearly two years and barely got 90k points - but nearly 4k work units. My work unit today took 90 minutes and increased my overall score by nearly 10%. I'm addicted to stats. Anyway - I think this is a testament to how much more powerful our PCs are today than they were 15 years ago.

Last edited by Crawdaddy79 : Mar 16, 2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 07:14 PM   #22
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

I'm coming for you, Gregor.

Old Mar 17, 2020, 09:14 AM   #23
DarkFoss
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
I'm coming for you, Gregor.
Heh he emailed me Sunday he tried changing his email address in the cp instead of asking a mod to do it and never got the validation email. He can't respond to you right now. I PM'ed Lupine and Trunks0 and pasted what he sent me. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. He still can see what you posted though.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:06 AM   #24
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
Heh he emailed me Sunday he tried changing his email address in the cp instead of asking a mod to do it and never got the validation email. He can't respond to you right now. I PM'ed Lupine and Trunks0 and pasted what he sent me. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. He still can see what you posted though.
I think I read in the Site Suggestions section that the email validation has been broken for three years or something... whenever the last new user signed up. Just looked. September 2017.

Well I jumped ahead of Mr. Gregor. Only thing holding me back right now is a lack of WUs to chew on.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:46 AM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'll be rejoining here shortly.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:25 PM   #26
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hehe

My little HP notebook can only scratch 40,000PPD before it pulls performance settling around 39k.

Foldy foldy

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:36 PM   #27
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Forgot how noisy this box is when its pushing WUs lol. Methinks I'll be moving it out from under my office desk.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 01:28 PM   #28
aRandomRobot
Returned Lurker

Still feeling the server issues but I seem to be getting more WUs today. The number of active users on the team has doubled in the last week, that's awesome! And Lupine's back too! It just took some mandatory indoor time away from our real lives and we came flocking back here, huh
Old Mar 17, 2020, 02:20 PM   #29
jima13
Retired

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Forgot how noisy this box is when its pushing WUs lol. Methinks I'll be moving it out from under my office desk.
Nice to see you back Charles, but when the heck did you move from Spokane?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 02:46 PM   #30
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Soo...

Apparently it refuses to cough up WUs for Polaris GPUs...

Boooooo!

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote