Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Helevitia is still being judged by the masses

Default Counter Strike: Source issue w/ X800 XT

Greetings all,

I'm fairly certain it is not an X800 XT issue but wanted to check with you all and see if others have similar problems.

Plain and simple, if I move my mouse left or right, I see stutter. This is at 1024x768 with no AA/AF. I don't have this problem in any other game. Maybe there is a known issue that someone can point me to?

Specs:

Asus A8V
3500+
Asus X800 XT PE
Mushkin PC3200 2326
Enermax 431W PS
Asus provided Cat drivers.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:59 PM   #2
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Just a guess, but it could be a result of going way over your refresh rate on your monitor, and may appear like studdering. And an x800xt on CS..well. That's very possible. Try turning vsync on and check that. And turn up the aa and af all the way!..come on, that's an x800xt and counterstrike. Your card won't even sweat.

If it's not. Well hell I'm sorry I wasted your time.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:20 PM   #3
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hell, I've been playing with 4x AA and 16x AF at 1280x1024 on my X800 Pro, and when I'm out in the open it holds 45ish fps, and when I go inside, 85...

It's a powerhouse
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoxen
Just a guess, but it could be a result of going way over your refresh rate on your monitor, and may appear like studdering. And an x800xt on CS..well. That's very possible. Try turning vsync on and check that. And turn up the aa and af all the way!..come on, that's an x800xt and counterstrike. Your card won't even sweat.

If it's not. Well hell I'm sorry I wasted your time.
Thanks for the reply. My monitor is a 22" Mitsubishi DaimondPro 2040u. It is currently set at 1280x1024x85Hz. I can easily go to 100Hz at this resolution. I'll check vsync. And I did turn up aa/af all the way, but ran into this problem so turned it off for troublshooting

Dave
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:53 AM   #5
ElDuderino
Radeon R300

ElDuderino is still being judged by the masses

I think you can fix that problem by changing cl_smooth to 0 or 1 depending on what you currently have it set to.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Ized

Ized is still being judged by the masses

I remember reading that someone had similar issues when they had AGP fast writes on. All issues (or no issues) with agp fast writes are really mobo specific. Give it a try if you're still having the prob.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino
I think you can fix that problem by changing cl_smooth to 0 or 1 depending on what you currently have it set to.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I have already tried this and it doesn't resolve the issue. It's weird though, it's like it is bruteforcing it's way through the graphics. Like it is skipping. I'm not sure stuttering is the right word. When moving foward or backwards, the problem doesn't exist. Only turning left or right. I'm almost thinking of recording it to show people.

Dave
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ized
I remember reading that someone had similar issues when they had AGP fast writes on. All issues (or no issues) with agp fast writes are really mobo specific. Give it a try if you're still having the prob.
Thanks, by default, I turn off fast writes whenever I get a new video card. It's been fof since day 1.

Dave
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:45 PM   #9
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helevitia
Thanks, by default, I turn off fast writes whenever I get a new video card. It's been fof since day 1.

Dave
You don't need to.
If TEARING is a better word for your problem, then enable VSYNC in both the ATi Control Panel and in the game (if it offers the option).
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:43 PM   #10
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
You don't need to.
If TEARING is a better word for your problem, then enable VSYNC in both the ATi Control Panel and in the game (if it offers the option).
I turn off fastwrites for stability issues. Tearing is definitly not the issue. I haven't tried vsync yet, but I don't think that will solve my problem. Once I try it, I'll report back.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 07:47 PM   #11
ElDuderino
Radeon R300

ElDuderino is still being judged by the masses

He might have a point there. In the game options there is a vsync setting. Try changing that as I've seen some people say that causes problems.

I tell ya, cs:s isn't worth half the trouble it's caused. It took me 4 days to get the [insert rude words here] working, and when I did get it working, I didn't like it at all. I feel dirty just thinking about that game.

*cries
Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Nasheroni
The Real Thing

Nasheroni is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I have already tried this and it doesn't resolve the issue. It's weird though, it's like it is bruteforcing it's way through the graphics. Like it is skipping. I'm not sure stuttering is the right word. When moving foward or backwards, the problem doesn't exist. Only turning left or right. I'm almost thinking of recording it to show people.

Dave
I have the exact problem though i think its how the game is. Its sorta like skipping, there is no tearing its like the frames in the background are lower than 27, kinda like lag.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:35 PM   #13
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasheroni
I have the exact problem though i think its how the game is. Its sorta like skipping, there is no tearing its like the frames in the background are lower than 27, kinda like lag.
Yeah, it's like bad lag. Makes me worry that HL2 will look like crap. No other game does this. Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe it is fixable?

Dave
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:04 AM   #14
Gilhooley
Radeon R100

Gilhooley is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Greetings all,

I'm fairly certain it is not an X800 XT issue but wanted to check with you all and see if others have similar problems.

Plain and simple, if I move my mouse left or right, I see stutter. This is at 1024x768 with no AA/AF. I don't have this problem in any other game. Maybe there is a known issue that someone can point me to?
Change CL_CMDRATE and CL_UPDATERATE to 30 - or more if you get better results, 101 were max in old cs.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:42 PM   #15
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Cool, thanks for the help. What do those do?

Dave
Old Sep 6, 2004, 01:30 PM   #16
Cinema4DXL
Rage3D Veteran

Cinema4DXL is still being judged by the masses

its like the cl_maxpackets and rate that are in q3 type games

cmdrate = how much to send to server
updaterate = how much info to pull from server

i think thats the general idea of those two
i think the netcode for cs:s is a bit buggy still
Athlon XP-M [email protected](200x11.5) | Abit AN7 | 2x512 Corsair XMS PC-3200 | BFG 6800 GT OC (400/1100) w/ NV Silencer 5 | Promise Ultra133TX2 | WD Caviar SE 80GB 8 MB | Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB | Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB | Sony 16x DVD-ROM | NEC 3520A | Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w | Koolance PC-601 | Samsung SyncMaster 997DF
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:07 AM   #17
jallen
Radeon R420

jallen is still being judged by the masses

Helevitia

I'm having the same issue with CS:S. Exactly what you are describing. It doesn't do it when you move forward or backward. Only when you look left and right can you see it.

None of my other games do it. Have you found a solution?
AMD 3700+
2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 EL 2-3-2-5 1T
eVGA 7800GTX
Audigy 2
WD 74GB Raptor
Plextor 12x DVD/R+RW
Logitech MX518
NEC FE2111SB 21" CRT
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Sennheiser HD555
Old Sep 20, 2004, 03:20 PM   #18
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen
Helevitia

I'm having the same issue with CS:S. Exactly what you are describing. It doesn't do it when you move forward or backward. Only when you look left and right can you see it.

None of my other games do it. Have you found a solution?
Unfortunately, I think it is a game issue. Just for grins, last night I changed to 800x600 but left 4xAA and 16xAF on. I can actually say I noticed an improvement. I wish I knew someone else that had a similar setup so I could compare.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:56 AM   #19
jallen
Radeon R420

I think I solved it. Here's what I did.

First I went into display properties/settings/advanced/displays

On this display tab click on your monitor and select the Refresh rate override and set it to same as desktop. My desktop is at 100Hz refresh rate. After this I didn't notice this stuttering anymore.
AMD 3700+
eVGA 7800GTX
Audigy 2
WD 74GB Raptor
Plextor 12x DVD/R+RW
Logitech MX518
NEC FE2111SB 21" CRT
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Sennheiser HD555
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:59 AM   #20
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out later when I get home.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 07:48 AM   #21
jallen
Radeon R420

Helevitia

Did it work?
AMD 3700+
eVGA 7800GTX
Audigy 2
WD 74GB Raptor
Plextor 12x DVD/R+RW
Logitech MX518
NEC FE2111SB 21" CRT
Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Sennheiser HD555
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:45 AM   #22
Helevitia
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen
Helevitia

Did it work?
Actually, it seems to have helped. I currently have the following settings:

1024x768x32 4xAA/16xAF Everything set to max, VSYNC enabled. refresh rate override set to same as desktop. 100Hz.

Some observations:

Sometimes I get this crazy lag when I am running squished up against a wall. The two places that I see it almost every time is, when you start off as CT, jump over the wall and run down the path that leads to the center opening. If I am holding a grenade and running squished against the wall, I get horrible lag.

This also happens if I am playing T and I run right, out of the tunnel and strafe against the wall overlooking the bridge tunnel entrance, the one with the two barrels in the corner.

So, these problems cropped up and I thought they were related but it looks like they were seperate issues.

Another issue. It seems when my batteries are fairly low in my Logitech MX700, I start to lose movement, fire, strafe, weapoin switching, etc...

I know this seems obvious but in any other game, I can play with the mouse until it dies without any problem like that. I'm not sure if it is the mouse or the game at this point.

So, I still get slight stuttering when moving left or right, but it is much less with vsync enabled and I can chalk up the other issues as not related.

Dave