Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Apr 23, 2002, 09:42 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
birz

birz is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation strange issue in counter-strike???

i have only one issue with my radeon 8500,here its follows:

when i play counter-strike(open-GL 1024*768), everything runs fine, except when i leave the game with (esc) key and try to resume the game or join another one, one out of three times the game goes back on the desktop with a black rectangle on the upper left corner of a size of 640*480, my desktop is at 1024*768 i have to quit the game using "ctrl-alt-del". You might understand what i am talking about (i hope). Ive tried every sets of driver,, and always the same bug. Everything on my PC is up to date ,,,,,,,, what might cause this problem?????????? And rarely when i exit totally the game to windows,, my computer reboots by itself

here is my rig:

-AMD thunderbird 1333mhz 266fsb
-abit KG7-lite
-256 meg DDR sdram (crucial)
-soundblaster live 5.1ŕ
-ATI radeon 8500 (retail) (6058 driver)
-maxtor diamond max 30 gig ATA100
-win XP pro
-counter-strike (bundled with ati card)
-nothing overclocked
-lian-li PC60 case (42 celsius, 46 celsius full load)

Last edited by birz : Apr 23, 2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:46 PM   #2
mooky486
Radeon R200

mooky486 is still being judged by the masses

2 diff issues I am pretty sure.

the window 640x480 is the CS menu superimposing itself on the game screen, fixing it is relatively easy when it happens, press esc, to bring back the menu, and then resume the game. Atleast, thats when I see the 640x480 black rectangle and how *I* get rid of it.

It's either a bug in teh game with resolutuion switching or the drivers, I'm inclind to say a bit of both just since the game is so dang old and was written long before (1998 wasnt it when HL was game of the year?) the technology of todays cards and dx8.1.

The reboot, could be anything from driver glitch, to overheating, probably drivers tho, but I've never experienced that one. If your in win98 just expect it, cause well, win98 sucks for stuff like that, its fast and all, faster then win2000 or XP when it comes to gaming, and still, IMHO better then ME, but its inherrently unstable due to its kernel. Try a newer set of drivers if you don't have the most recent ones, beta drivers, or make sure your drivers are atleast up to the official ATI drivers.

Cheers,
mooky
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hope I could be some help some, if not, well, ignore me
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old Apr 24, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

€L1T€ is still being judged by the masses

happened to me on my gf2mx happens to me on my radeon 8500 but the game does not crash like yours the menu just goes a 640x res in the top corner its uaully when something else trys to be the active window ie zonealarm pro asking if something can access the net...
maybe some program u get a pop up msg or accidentloy press alt & tab or the windows key on your keyboard? anyway im sure it will be something to do with multi tasking
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4
birz

no programs is running in the background, and no i dont hit alt-tab accidently.
i just tried out the new set of driver 6071,,,,,same thing

and my game doesnt crash often, like 1 time out of 50.
but the black recteangle thing happens really often, even with counter-strike 1.4.

Ive tried out everything, format, change set of drivers, change refresh fix utility, playing without cheating-death, indeed nothing sucessfull. I beg you guys to find out whats going wrong, although thanks for your tips.
Old Apr 24, 2002, 06:21 PM   #5
Sone

Sone is still being judged by the masses

my CS used to crash like that, found out it was page flipping, i just disabled it in the OGL control panel and it went

but then i got a wierd tearing at the top of the screen, to get rid of this i had to disable v-sync (which causes a tad bit of tearing )
Old Apr 25, 2002, 01:41 PM   #6
birz

Thumbs up

thanks alot sone that worked,,, but as you said i got a strnage line (tearing) at the top of my screen,,, i think i can live with it though. when im in the action i dont notice it, i have to focus on it to see it,,,,,,, thank you!!!!!!