Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Mar 4, 2020, 07:54 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

GSkill ram is flaky as fark. I am never buying it again. I sent the ram back. Let’s see how many months it takes them to give me a good kit.

Corsair all the way.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2020, 08:25 PM   #62
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Never had a problem with GSkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Not gonna happen, I'm done with this Hynix junk, this set isn't reliable on boot either, No party in my pants with KAC's Mum. Amazon is going to ban me soon. I guess I save some cash, Hell my old 3200mhz memory works without a hitch. I've never had to follow QVL in the past but I guess it might be a must on the latest Ryzen boards and higher mhz memory.
Update the bios to the Asrock board you have. 2.20 is the latest. One of the older bios' added higher then 3000MHz memory support and stability. I would unplug the the PC, pull the CMOS battery and wait 10 minutes. Then boot up and set XMP.

The GSkill kit I sent KAC works just fine. That is until he tries too OC it. Which probably killed his kit.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64

Last edited by Hapatingjaky : Mar 4, 2020 at 08:32 PM.
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:37 PM   #63
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Never had a problem with GSkill.

Update the bios to the Asrock board you have. 2.20 is the latest. One of the older bios' added higher then 3000MHz memory support and stability. I would unplug the the PC, pull the CMOS battery and wait 10 minutes. Then boot up and set XMP.

The GSkill kit I sent KAC works just fine. That is until he tries too OC it. Which probably killed his kit.
Had the latest Bios for months, runs my old Corsair 3200mhz memory without issue. I was hoping there was a newer Bios to try but no dice. Why do you think pulling the Battery and unplugging would work? Just curious? I don't think there's anything wrong with the RAM, it just doesn't like my board, Tried the 16GB set and the 32GB set of the same memory and it does the same thing on both. I'm probably better off returning at this point, the gains are minimal for the price paid other then I liked the RGB.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:29 PM   #64
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The only thing I tried on my G Skill ram is clock to 3200 which is the rated speed. Ram was dying so I sent it back. I know your kit works but I didn’t have to play roulette on ram thus far. Btw I am not the only one. There are tons of egg reviews that have kits dying since 2017.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 06:00 AM   #65
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Had the latest Bios for months, runs my old Corsair 3200mhz memory without issue. I was hoping there was a newer Bios to try but no dice. Why do you think pulling the Battery and unplugging would work? Just curious? I don't think there's anything wrong with the RAM, it just doesn't like my board, Tried the 16GB set and the 32GB set of the same memory and it does the same thing on both. I'm probably better off returning at this point, the gains are minimal for the price paid other then I liked the RGB.
Pulling the CMOS battery will completely wipe settings. There could be an issue where its causing instability. Maybe a sub timing from your old Corsair kit that is different from GSKILL is getting locked in.

Give it a shot.

Otherwise if the kit requires 1.35v bump it to 1.4v.

I just built a 3700x, Gigabyte Master x570 and 16GB GSKILL Tridentz 3600MHz for my brother. Ram works great.
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS14, EVGA FTW3 2080Ti Sixtuple SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:11 AM   #66
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I remember when motherboards would do memory training every time you messed with the ram. Now they only do it once on the first boot unless you disable fast boot.

Until you get your ram set where you want it and it's stable, disable fast boot.

Edit: I have 3 kits of dead Corsair, they refuse to warranty. I have no dead G.skill kits and I have 5 or 6 of their kits. My only still functioning kit of Corsair is a 5300 DDR2 kit, that wouldn't overclock if it's life depended on it.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Mar 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:08 AM   #67
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

GSKILL has all the world records. The only Corsair kits that have Samsung B-Die are Dominators. G-Skill they are in the TridentZ Neo and Royal.

Some people get lemons, don't hate the playa, hate the game.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 05:09 PM   #68
Nascar24

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I suppose I could have tried again, but dropped off today, I want to just stick the things in, turn on XMP and they work. The TridentZ Neo's I bought were both Hynix. Messing with the timings and all that with memory just doesn't seem to get you much for the trouble. Might try one more time with some Corsair that is on the dam QVL. Don't feel I can do another return to Amazon safely for a while though as I have returned 3 things in the last couple of months. 2 RAM kits in the last 3 days. The Corsair I currently have are Samsung E die. The samsung B-Die stuff is out there, I'm sure they are nice but I'm not going to pay the premium. I just want the chit to work. As far as the Bios goes though the only thing I touch is the XMP and Im out for the most part, I do turn on Ultra fast boot, Also tried turning that off with the TridentZ Neo's to no avail.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 05:44 PM   #69
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

I like both GSKILL and Corsair. Corsair's platinum Dominator is usually the first pick, cream of the crop from Samsung's B die but they charge a premium for it. Can't go wrong either way but I've had better luck with overclocks using the Dominator series for the last two sets of RAM that I purchased.

I've been able to push the 3600Mhz C16 that I bought all the way up to 4200Mhz C16 with advanced tweaking of the sub timings and still maintained stability. Cost about $500 for 32GB. 4X8GB sticks. I've been pretty impressed with how cool they operate as well. I don't think I've seen a single stick go above 39C using the default heat spreaders even with monster overclocks after hours of stress testing.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2020, 09:29 PM   #70
Nascar24

Giving this chit one more shot, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz 16GBx16GB. No idea on the brand of RAM as the QVL had it blank and all the numnuts in reviews that I found didn’t state other then one guy claiming Samsung B or E die. Don’t buy the B Die claim, it’s not expensive enough, guess I will find out when I get it Saturday. Timings are high at 18 but it seems Ryzen likes the speed more then anything.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:20 PM   #71
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Here is the B die list, you should be able to find out about your RAM with it. Some of the Vengeance series is B die.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Nunz posted it a while ago.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 02:17 PM   #72
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sextein View Post
Here is the B die list, you should be able to find out about your RAM with it. Some of the Vengeance series is B die.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

Nunz posted it a while ago.
Not in there, guess I find out tomorrow. Since it’s a newer set I doubt B-die since they quit making it I thought.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 02:54 PM   #73
Nascar24

Talk about RGB madness I just added on 2 dummy vengeance RGB pro modules so I could roll like a boss with 4 full slots.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 07:59 PM   #74
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Giving this chit one more shot, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz 16GBx16GB. No idea on the brand of RAM as the QVL had it blank and all the numnuts in reviews that I found didn’t state other then one guy claiming Samsung B or E die. Don’t buy the B Die claim, it’s not expensive enough, guess I will find out when I get it Saturday. Timings are high at 18 but it seems Ryzen likes the speed more then anything.
Ryzen tops out a 3600MHz for gaming while Intel tops out at 3200MHz. Anything over that is a waste.

You should aim for 3600MHz CAS14 on Ryzen. That is the sweet spot.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/2...45V16GB-(2x8GB)

Just waiting on the Auros Master to arrive so I can build my brothers system.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 08:44 PM   #75
Nascar24

To rich for minimal gains. To do 32GB of that would cost $500.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 09:05 PM   #76
KAC
That postcount though...

Trident Z Royal is proper gay.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 09:07 PM   #77
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Old Mar 6, 2020, 09:07 PM   #78
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Said the rich man without a Turing card.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:23 PM   #79
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
Said the rich man without a Turing card.

Bruh I showed you the pic of it for sale on ebay.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:30 PM   #80
Nascar24

I prefer to spend my cash on something that actually gains you something!
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:32 AM   #81
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
I prefer to spend my cash on something that actually gains you something!
Then why are you getting 32GB instead of 16GB
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:48 AM   #82
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

That's a good point actually. I use about 26GB of system RAM and all 11GB of Video RAM for the animations that I do but I've never seen a game go over 16GB and it's not uncommon to see gamers with 64GB of ram. Some day sure, but by then we will be on DDR8 or some crap. If the 3080TI has 16GB of VRAM that will probably drop my system RAM usage down to 20GB under the most intense circumstances.

I try to guess at the absolute maximum I will need and then go over it a little and split it into four sticks to max out the memory controller's bandwidth. It's always done well for me without wasting cash.

When it comes to timings, I buy RAM that has the optimal gaming performance at it's native XMP value. Anything I get beyond that is free performance via OC and that always has a little luck involved so it's never a good idea to depend on OC to get you where you want to go.

3600C16-3200C14 seems to be the sweet spot and you don't need expensive B die to achieve it. Buying 2X8 or 4X4 non B-die in that clock range is plenty for gaming and not all that expensive really. It's also important to plan for a little progression during your systems life as well. 3600Mhz might be the sweet spot but it could move as games progress over time. Otherwise there would be no point in moving to DDR 5 ect.

Last edited by the_sextein : Mar 7, 2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:12 PM   #83
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Then why are you getting 32GB instead of 16GB
I run so much chit in my tray that I figured it couldn’t hurt and the price was only $178

Edit:

I believe 32GB is the right choice. Memory is Micron.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Mar 7, 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 01:59 PM   #84
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

So your RAM came in. How's it working? Having more RAM then you need isn't a bad thing but you probably could have done fine with 16GB. Either way, if it didn't break the bank and you think you may be pushing enough stuff in the background while you game to use more than 16GB at some point then I don't blame you.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 02:13 PM   #85
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

Last edited by the_sextein : Mar 8, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 02:21 PM   #86
Nascar24

So far so good, I think only a few days will tell as far as boot goes, turned off and on a few times and no boot issues so far. That 10GB in use is at desktop, Not running a game, I cant say I noticed any issues when I was using my 16GB but figured since I was buying and I didn't want to go with 4 modules to get to 32GB I would just buy all right now. Stuck the 2 dummy RGB sticks in and all looks good. Surprised they have firmware associated with these things, updated that through the icue software as well. Running the Ryzen Calculator it looks like I could bring down the timings to the 16C level with out an issue and could also try 14 with the fast setting according to the software. To be exact its Micron E-die.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 02:53 PM   #87
the_sextein
Radeon Evergreen

One thing you could do is run this. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TFezR5hk0qp5bD

Run like 8 versions of it at the same time with 3000mb per a test. If it gets to 100% then the RAM is stable. You could run it to 300% just to be sure if you are finished tweaking it.

The Ryzen platform has higher latencies so I would try to push it to C16 at the least. C14 would be optimal for the speeds you are running but I doubt it will get down that low while maintaining stability.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 08:02 PM   #88
Nascar24

So much for the Ryzen calculator Punched in all the safe numbers and immediate failure. Don't know enough about memory settings or have the patience to mess around with it for small gains. I do think this set is going to run fine with the XMP settings though, unlike the 2 Gskill sets I tried.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 08:24 PM   #89
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
So much for the Ryzen calculator Punched in all the safe numbers and immediate failure. Don't know enough about memory settings or have the patience to mess around with it for small gains. I do think this set is going to run fine with the XMP settings though, unlike the 2 Gskill sets I tried.
Crucial Ballistic Sport LT's?

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2020, 08:45 PM   #90
Nascar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyiji View Post
Crucial Ballistic Sport LT's?
Must be!