Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:30 PM   #271
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

everything stock so far

looks like I got 3 core hitting 4.5 now and then
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:57 PM   #272
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Was getting some BSOD's and game crashing (ex. Assassin's Creed Odyssey) from the memory overclock so I went back to stock. I followed all the recommended safe settings in the DRAM calculator, and even updated some settings after a newer version just released that added Zen2 support, but no improvement. I don't have the patience right now to try to find the needle in the million setting haystack that gets this B-Die RAM completely stable at 3600.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2019, 04:35 AM   #273
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
Was getting some BSOD's and game crashing (ex. Assassin's Creed Odyssey) from the memory overclock so I went back to stock. I followed all the recommended safe settings in the DRAM calculator, and even updated some settings after a newer version just released that added Zen2 support, but no improvement. I don't have the patience right now to try to find the needle in the million setting haystack that gets this B-Die RAM completely stable at 3600.
Kind of where I'm at as well until the bios issues and other growing pains are worked out. CPU is stock and memory is running at its rated speed (3200 CAS14) while things stabilize. One bios or micro code update can obliterate hours of fine tuning, so why bother?

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 6, 2019, 06:40 PM   #274
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
everything stock so far

looks like I got 3 core hitting 4.5 now and then
When did you grab a 3800X? Anyways, congrats!

How is it over your last CPU?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 06:59 PM   #275
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
When did you grab a 3800X? Anyways, congrats!

How is it over your last CPU?
last week

shows on division 2 at 4k went from mid 70's to mid 90's

unless they have changed something as it been a wile since played last

thing are a little smoother

have not tested much

too much work
Old Aug 7, 2019, 02:45 AM   #276
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Any reason you went with a 3800x rather than say a 3700x? Is there actually any overclocking advantage on the 3800x.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2019, 03:48 AM   #277
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Any reason you went with a 3800x rather than say a 3700x? Is there actually any overclocking advantage on the 3800x.

well I got 3 cores hitting 4.5 now and then stock instead of just one

as for overclocking I don't most of the time
Old Aug 8, 2019, 02:00 AM   #278
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That's not bad, 4.5 ain't nothing to sneeze at.

What do they generally drop to if a game uses more than 3 cores?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 02:27 AM   #279
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
That's not bad, 4.5 ain't nothing to sneeze at.

What do they generally drop to if a game uses more than 3 cores?
haven't had time to game since I upgraded it
working on a big attic install job when I do get home too tired to play anything
Old Aug 8, 2019, 04:30 AM   #280
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

It would be interesting to see how the Ryzen line-up with fully tweaked memory stacks up to the Intel 9000 series likewise with fully tweaked memory.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 05:03 AM   #281
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeh with results like Gregor976's it would be really interesting. Those are some insanely good numbers - both from the memory itself which is top notch, but also the CPU's ability to handle it. AMD have made great progress.

What memory are you running bill? Speed, timings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor976 View Post
2x8 F4-3600C15-8GTZ Max temp 37c so far, with active cooling.

Error free overnight with memtest64, a few hours of prime and a few times around Hircines Haunt.
That is awesome man, really nice
Old Aug 8, 2019, 08:15 AM   #282
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It would be interesting to see how the Ryzen line-up with fully tweaked memory stacks up to the Intel 9000 series likewise with fully tweaked memory.
I agree, going by the videos that some channels have done, tight memory timings REALLY matters with a ryzen 3xxx.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 09:58 AM   #283
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Yeh with results like Gregor976's it would be really interesting. Those are some insanely good numbers - both from the memory itself which is top notch, but also the CPU's ability to handle it. AMD have made great progress.

What memory are you running bill? Speed, timings?

That is awesome man, really nice
F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

3200 stock timings 14-14-14-34
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:10 PM   #284
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I mean how much performance we talking with CL16 vs CL14?

I can get 32GB CL16 3200Mhz for cheaper than 16GB CL14.

In terms of real world performance not artificial benchmarks.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Old Aug 8, 2019, 06:10 PM   #285
demo
space cadet

A few % when CPU bound. Nothing to write home about but it's just to untap that extra bit of performance from CPU.
For the same price you're better off getting the 32GB 3200 CL16 kit imo. If you OC to 3600 it'll be about the same performance, or you can tighten timings yourself.

And I don't mean to derail the thread so I'll hide it in spoiler quotes..

Seeing everyone else OC their memory got me enthused to push mine a little further. It may be good for comparison. This is as far as my board will allow with 4 dimms at 1T. Seems stable after a couple hours of stress testing.

Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:02 PM   #286
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Demo, are you currently running your entire system overclocked? i.e memory, GPU,CPU.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:05 PM   #287
demo
space cadet

Yeah
Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:10 PM   #288
Megaman
Packing heat!

Very good.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:24 PM   #289
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

god my memory is ass .. I'm also curious if it'll operate better if I move it to DIMM2+4 instead of 1+3. I've always heard you should have RAM as far to the right as possible .. I have mine to the left ..

running it at 1.35v (stock xmp) and 1T .. that's it .. I hate trying to OC RAM because one ****ing blue-screen and poof, you just smoked your entire windows install ..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:47 PM   #290
Megaman
Packing heat!

DIMM slots 2 and 4 for two sticks are recommended but varies between boards. Try an over clock in those DIMMs.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 07:47 PM   #291
demo
space cadet

That depends on the board. Read a couple guides when you get time. There's quite a few good ones around for Sammy B-Die.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 08:06 PM   #292
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I don't have samsung b-die my RAM is hynix.

F4-3200C-16-8GVKB
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Aug 8, 2019, 08:09 PM   #293
demo
space cadet

Oh I thought you did. Doesn't matter, I'll PM you some guides later. I learnt a few things myself today that really helped.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 08:14 PM   #294
Nunz
RIP Roxen

ty
Old Aug 11, 2019, 02:07 AM   #295
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Bought a 3800X, paired with G.Skill Trident Z's.

No issues.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:22 PM   #296
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Will be upgrading in September/October, but can't decide between 3800x and 3900x.

Games like Ass creed seem to love those cores, and I wont be touching this CPU for the next 5 years so I'm leaning to those 4 extra cores for longevity's sake.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 01:03 PM   #297
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Will be upgrading in September/October, but can't decide between 3800x and 3900x.

Games like Ass creed seem to love those cores, and I wont be touching this CPU for the next 5 years so I'm leaning to those 4 extra cores for longevity's sake.
go for the 3900x then and a very good cooler it has a little more heat

I went with the 3800x because I only plan on 1 to 3 years and then stick in a 4900x 12 core or 4950x 16 core
then stick the 3800x in another system
Old Aug 11, 2019, 02:24 PM   #298
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

Was looking at be quiet dark rock 4 cooler because my current cooler Master aio 240mm is a noisy **** at load. Maybe I'll go aio again but Ill see what is quiet.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 03:37 PM   #299
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Was looking at be quiet dark rock 4 cooler because my current cooler Master aio 240mm is a noisy **** at load. Maybe I'll go aio again but Ill see what is quiet.
I had this on my test bed for a bit and was quiet and cooled near as well as my full water on a open test bed
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

but mine came with 3 140mm fans at that time
Old Aug 11, 2019, 04:41 PM   #300
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I've looked at those before, but the colour... I know that's how they get brand recognition, but still.