Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 18, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
curio
BananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Default The long requested curio finger pics [NSFW!]

For those of you that have requested the pics (and those of you who haven't but want to see anyway), here they are from my accident three years ago. All pictures are post-surgery. The toe pics are grosser then the finger pics. I wish I had better pics of the fingers, but I wasn't allowed to remove the bandaging at the time:

You can see the split in the nail of my big toe which was from the edge of the joist landing on my foot. It did that through steel.

Last edited by curio : May 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:57 PM   #3
curio
BananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowichi View Post
what happened?
2,000lbs joist girder fell on me, here's the description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Well it wasn't a clean cut; my middle finger was smashed into hamburger and my ring finger was cut off clean, only hanging by a tendon (which the docs were able to reattach). My left foot was also smashed, but thankfully I had steel toed boots on so my big toe just got shattered.

When the joist fell, it seemed to go in slow motion. It was falling right towards my torso, and I moved out the the way but I slipped in the mud, and my left hand landed by my left foot, and the edge of the joist landed on them. I believe the steel toed boots helped keep much of the weight from cutting (smashing) all the fingers on that hand.

The pain was incredible, no words can express the sensation. Blood was squirting everywhere, and I immediately knew that I had lost some fingers. I was able to pull my hand and foot from under the joist, I basically yelled out 'muther****** I lost some fingers!' - so the ironworker that was with me went and got the foreman. It probably only took the foreman 3 minutes to get to me, but it seemed like an eternity. I sat there grasping my hand with the bottom of my shirt with a lot of pressure to keep the blood loss lower, all the while I was rocking back and forth in pain. The foreman got there, and I looked at him and said you better get me to the hospital. I was quite conscious during all of this.

Unfortunately I was fairly deep in the mountains, and the local hospital did not have a surgery center. When I first got there, they kept looking at my hand and I kept yelling about my foot; as it really hurt. I finally convinced them to take off my boot because I wanted to see if I still had my toes; and it was a huge sigh of relief to see that they were still attached.

The doctor and nurses stopped the bleeding and stitched it up the best they could, then sent me in the ambulance for a 4 hour ride to Denver. The ****ing ambulance drivers didn't even put their lights on, and they were listening to music and jabbing to each other about who the **** knows what; all the while pumping me with more morphine.

About a 1/2 hour from Denver, I started to lose it. I could feel consciousness slowly slipping away; but I refused to close my eyes. I was high as hell from the morphine, and I had lost a lot of blood. I barely remember this part, but one of the EMT's suddenly freaked out and told the driver to hit the lights. They then floored the ambulance and started driving really fast. I heard one of the guys say he thought I was going to have a heart attack because my heart rate was something like 220 over 150.

I made it to Denver General hospital, and spent 12 hours in surgery; but that happened after I punched one of the EMT's and a doctor. They had to literally stab me with a sedative because I wouldn't let anyone touch me at that point; but I don't remember too much of that. I was told later that the reason I acted like that was because of all the morphine, or maybe I'm just a prick, I don't know. Probably both. Anyway, I did get two weeks off work after that; which was nice.

After all that though, I now have a cushy office job and the most I have to worry about is papercuts.

Last edited by curio : May 18, 2007 at 11:26 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 18, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
JonZ
Radeon Arctic Islands

JonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselJonZ exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Dodongo77
Radeon Evergreen

Dodongo77 is still being judged by the masses

....but now you can't give people the finger...(unless you actually HAVE the piece of finger still?)

Also, I have that same Lian Li case!
Dodongo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
monkeydust
Radeon Arctic Islands

monkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete strangermonkeydust once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
QFT
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX case
Dell 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD
Windows 8.1 64-bit
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Bamboozled
Radeon Sea Islands

Bamboozled is still being judged by the masses

Wow, that's a helluva story curio. You one bad mofo.

Thanks for posting and sharing

Star Blazers theme
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:20 PM   #8
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

how did a staple get in your toe?
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:30 PM   #9
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

oww dude. Your toe looks ****ed up.
switchAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:34 PM   #10
GiG-DaDDy
Radeon R700

GiG-DaDDy is still being judged by the masses

**** man, I'm glad you survived & you weren't killed!
GiG-DaDDy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 08:44 PM   #11
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
how did a staple get in your toe?
The pins were to hold together the bone in the toe because it was pretty much shattered.

Thanks for all the comments guys

Last edited by curio : May 18, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:54 PM   #12
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

damn...better next time you should be careful with sharp things or something happen to you, man!

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 09:01 PM   #13
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
damn...better next time you should be careful with sharp things or something happen to you, man!
Ironworking is a dangerous job. One of the guys I *used* to work with can barely talk now from a major head injury.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:51 PM   #14
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Wow, as horrible as that is, i'm glad for you that that's all that happened.

Sounds like it coulda been a lot worse.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:57 PM   #15
rob75383
Venture Bros.

rob75383 is still being judged by the masses

Ouch that sucks!
I imagine it must be hard to play FPS games with a WASD setup with your middle finger missing.
GLad to hear you evaded death, with minimal bodily harm.
rob75383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:02 PM   #16
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Sounds like it coulda been a lot worse.
No doubt. Oh, and just so you all know - it was my fault. I was on what we like to call the 'hospital side' of the joist. I found that out the hard way.

Edit: This is just like the piece that fell on me:

Last edited by curio : May 18, 2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:06 PM   #17
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

if you just hold up your hand now is that like.. i love you?
like.. a negative fck you?
Old May 18, 2007, 11:07 PM   #18
Skynet
Custom User Title

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

wow that's harsh!

Your toe is not nearly as gross as I was imagining it to be.

btw I have the same keyboard as you, love it but hate the mouse it came with.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:08 PM   #19
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I also had that keyboard, I liked just spinning the volume knob around and around and around...

That is nuts curio, good thing you were as quick as you were.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:17 PM   #20
Adanu
MRA in Residence

Adanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete strangerAdanu once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've never been through amputation, so I can only imagine the pain you were feeling. I've been through a dislocated/ruptured disk in my back for 2 years though, which is NOT fun.
Adanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:20 PM   #21
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
Your toe is not nearly as gross as I was imagining it to be.
My surgeon was absolutely amazing. I also had a male nurse that was really good - he kept me from losing my mind when I lost my cool. Much to them.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:22 PM   #22
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht View Post
if you just hold up your hand now is that like.. i love you?
like.. a negative fck you?
I don't know what you are saying there, but I can tell you that I can't flip the bird like your avatar anymore.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:29 PM   #24
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowichi View Post
It's more a half-assed "**** you".

sorry, I had to

I've got two sayings now. One is that they call me '9 1/2 Willie', and the other is that it's a half of a **** you.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:36 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
Quote:
This is just like the piece that fell on me:

I don't care how rounded the edges are, that ****er ain't going to gonna call you in the morning after tearing you a new one.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:10 AM   #26
MasterGoa
Moon over madness

MasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMasterGoa has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Curio, black toenail polish and a toe piercing?

Are you in your emo phase?
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:15 AM   #27
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I don't know what you are saying there, but I can tell you that I can't flip the bird like your avatar anymore.
hmm.. i'd get pics to represent it but the batteries are dead as usual.
maybe someone else that can explain it better.

fck you = middle finger up, the rest down
opposite fck you = middle finger down, the rest up

just tell you girl it means "i love you" now

(i don't think like normal people)
Old May 19, 2007, 12:26 AM   #28
curio
BananaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
Curio, black toenail polish and a toe piercing?

Are you in your emo phase?

How'd you know? Oh yeah, you met me once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqht View Post
fck you = middle finger up, the rest down
opposite fck you = middle finger down, the rest up
Ok I got you
Old May 19, 2007, 02:32 AM   #29
Soulkrusha
Radeon Arctic Islands

Soulkrusha is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
2,000lbs joist girder fell on me, here's the description:
same thing fell on my buddies foot... now he only has half a foot... he keeps the other half in a jar in his kitchen.
Soulkrusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 02:43 AM   #30
Hamidxa
Banned

Hamidxa is still being judged by the masses

Ouch, glad you're still with us though.
Fingers come and go, but Curio's are for life (or something like that )
Hamidxa is offline   Reply With Quote