Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Nov 21, 2018, 09:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Default Pretty good deal on a Vega 64

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814202326

340$ USD or 534$ CAD plus 10% off so 480$ CAD.

Im tempted. Its barely a hundred bucks more than a 590.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2018, 01:22 AM   #2
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

340$ USD or 534$ CAD plus 10% off so 480$ CAD.

Im tempted. Its barely a hundred bucks more than a 590.
10 CanuckBucks off, not 10% off.

Quote:
+ $10 off w/ promo code CABFST42, limited offer
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2018, 01:27 AM   #3
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

yeah US ebay newegg store page had it for $399 + 15% off bringing down to $339. I couldn't pass up that kind of deal. between 1080 and 1080ti perf for $340 lowest decent 1080 I could find was $440 on sale and in either case id be picking up a water block because that is my life now.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 22, 2018, 02:56 PM   #4
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon_262 View Post
10 CanuckBucks off, not 10% off.

Dangit. US gets a better as usual. I dont know to bite or wait for BF or Cyber Monday...

Upside Vega 64 has never been cheaper. Downvolting can yield good stable clocks.

Downside the blower cooler and dont care that much for the games promo.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 22, 2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The blower might not be such a detriment if you aggressively undervolt. With my Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 the thing doesn't even hit 50C when undervolted. That being said I'd still be willing to pay another $50 for a better cooler. Of course, you can also just water cool it if you really want.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2018, 05:32 AM   #6
greasyhands
Vega 64

greasyhands is still being judged by the masses

I picked up the 399 sapphire on on Newegg, with 3 games. Been running a 270x lately as I gave my 580 to my son for VR, VR sucks with a 270x. Looking forward to it, and undervolting it, then pretty mush just leaving it alone. i have an Acer 27" freesync, 144hz 2560x1440, should be a good match.
greasyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAPPHIRE-Rad...s/173626099338

$479 Cad

I don't believe you get the game codes if you order it from ebay. Not that the newegg sites version is offering the game codes either it seems.
Quote:
One or more items are no longer available due to availability/stock insufficiency and have been removed from your shopping cart
It looks like the only thing that comes with the game bundle now is the Rx 570 or 580's the Pick two of the three games one.

The cheapest Rx 580 they have is the Powercolor red dragon @ $259.99 cad
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814131720

Or the much better step up Red devil @ 269.99 cad
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814131713

Which are not bad prices for the 580

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus

Last edited by Shapeshifter : Nov 23, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2018, 09:17 PM   #8
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Temped again but as you say Newegg has the 3 game deal but at 534$ with the sale now done on Sat instead of Thursday...

Not sure they have the 3 game deal on ebay for the same card.

Quote:
$534.99
Sale Ends in 2 Days (Sat)
Sent a message to newegg asking about it. Its free ship tho...

Comes out to 550$ CAD OTR.

Whats ****ing crazy is that I bid 400$ CAD plus 30$ ship for the very same blower but used card from a miner just days ago... and I got outbid on that and another one a vega 56. The used 56 sold for 385 plus 30$ ship and the 64 is at 405$ last I looked. Id be crazy to buy used when new is just a smidgen higher.

Still wondering if the price will be even better on cyber monday.

I mean if the price dropped another 100$ on Cyber Monday would newegg adjust for me if I bought on Saturday? I might message them on that too...

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Nov 23, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:36 PM   #9
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

FWIW you guys should also check Ebay. Sometimes you can pick up a barely used card where the guy got cold feet. If you wait for an Ebay 15% off coupon you can get a good deal that way.

My Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 was a couple months old and I managed to pick it up for $450 U.S. The guy included the receipt too, so I'm covered if I need warranty service. True that's more than what you're looking at now, but I was willing to pay more for the Nitro+

Overall you can get some good deals on Ebay if you wait for a coupon, you just have to be smart about what you buy: either an AIB that handles warranty by serial or be sure the seller agrees to give you a receipt copy (send a message before buying). Granted some may not consider the savings worth the hassle.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:47 AM   #10
pax
Rage3D Spammer

The 480$ CAD deal is on ebay but Ive never seen 15% coupons in Canada.

Not getting responses from newegg on their ebay listings so gonna pass. But Ill see what the same card goes for on Cyber Monday.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 26, 2018, 09:22 PM   #11
pax
Rage3D Spammer

They are about 60% sold and newegg says 4hrs to go on the deal but no such notice on ebay...

Did any of you guys buy via ebay and get the game codes?

One guy I read said he drilled holes on the end plate to improve ventilation... Apparently makes a good diff for the blower cooler. Id just remove it...

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:44 AM   #12
pax
Rage3D Spammer

97% sold and I finally took a bite. Price had gone up to 600$ then back down to 489$ free delivery.

Looking forward to playing with it, tho with navi just a year or so away I imagine it wont last long in the rig.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 29, 2018, 03:10 AM   #13
greasyhands
Vega 64

Mine can yesterday, plays really nice, not very loud after an hour of use. Very happy, also redeemed my game codes, just have to wait for next year for the games to come out. Now my son can mutilate me in graphic glory on Madden 19. I am running it at 1000mV core, 1000mV memory. Never messed with Wattman before, but it is stable and have not seen it over 74C. Just saw it peak at 80C on Dirt 3.

Last edited by greasyhands : Nov 29, 2018 at 04:26 AM. Reason: update temp
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:04 AM   #14
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Theres some quick instructions on how to undervolt at various stages. You might get even better results:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ock_guide_for/

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 29, 2018, 06:37 PM   #15
greasyhands
Vega 64

Thanks Pax, running 1642 on core, left memory alone at 945, got 16114 in Firestrike. I'm happy. Thanks for the link, followed everything he did except for memory.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 09:08 PM   #16
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Wow nice on the core for the blower. How are temps? Ill be happy if I get 1600 core constant in gaming and stable.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:05 PM   #17
NWR_Midnight
Radeon Volcanic Islands

NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'NWR_Midnight once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyhands View Post
Thanks Pax, running 1642 on core, left memory alone at 945, got 16114 in Firestrike. I'm happy. Thanks for the link, followed everything he did except for memory.
Memory Overclock is more beneficial to Vega than Core clock. If you can find a balance of overclocking both, you would be better off. Just don't let memory go over 80C (watch the hot spot temps as well).

~I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability. ~ Ron White
~You can't fix Stupid! ~ Ron White
~There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. - ~Stupid is forever. ~ Ron White
~Life is a hard teacher, it gives you the test before it teaches you the lesson.
~It's never to late to have a good childhood! The older you are, the better the toys! ~ My Dad
~Live everyday as though it is your last, it can all end at any moment!
NWR_Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2018, 01:47 AM   #18
greasyhands
Vega 64

So far, according to wattman peak temp has been 76C, core 1607, mem 945, fan speed 2427. I am going to set it back to default, but still undervolt, I just wanted to see what it can do. With the 3 games and the smooth performance from this card, gotta say it feels like a good choice and stock speeds will be plenty fine for me.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:03 AM   #19
pax
Rage3D Spammer

HFS my Vega came in ~2 days after I ordered from Tennessee. And that was free ship. What do they have teleporters now?

Damn newegg.

My intention for now is just run at stock after an undervolt and see what temps say and see how it plays games at 4k on very high and not ultra settings. I think the card is a fine 4k player just dont run useless ultra stuff.

Might look into an aio for it later or morpheus 2. Might try that mod to add airflow at the end but from the looks of it itll have to be removing the original HS to drill holes in that. The HS cover is a solid piece of plastic.

www.realitysandwich.com

Last edited by pax : Nov 30, 2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 04:26 PM   #20
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
HFS my Vega came in ~2 days after I ordered from Tennessee. And that was free ship. What do they have teleporters now?

Damn newegg.

My intention for now is just run at stock after an undervolt and see what temps say and see how it plays games at 4k on very high and not ultra settings. I think the card is a fine 4k player just dont run useless ultra stuff.

Might look into an aio for it later or morpheus 2. Might try that mod to add airflow at the end but from the looks of it itll have to be removing the original HS to drill holes in that. The HS cover is a solid piece of plastic.
The 580 I ordered on B Friday is still in BC, came from a warehouse in the states in like a day and then has sat ever since. Every day it updates "Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption" or "Transit Delay | Labor Disruption"

Thanks newegg for using Canada post when you knew this would happen, even after claiming it would use purolator.

Old Nov 30, 2018, 09:49 PM   #21
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Thats odd Newegg usually uses Purolator. I always get my orders through them. They are owned by Canada Post but werent affected by the strike.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:44 AM   #22
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Thats odd Newegg usually uses Purolator. I always get my orders through them. They are owned by Canada Post but werent affected by the strike.
They used purolator international, which seems to have handed it off to canada post when it got to the border. If going by all the delays.

Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:50 AM   #23
pax
Rage3D Spammer

The shipping systems can be arcane. Fedex here hands of to a local shipper...

But hate to use them as they dont have a drop off like Purolator so after 3 days its sent back to the city and I have to call to have it shipped back. Must be my side of the country has purolator from the states to the door but some places use CP. But drop off for Purolator is CP here as well.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:33 PM   #24
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

currently running mine at 1702 core (1100mv) 1050 mem for p7 1557 (1050mv) P6 highest hotspot temp is 54C I am being very conservative on the OCing right now. I might try and get my p7 core down to 1075mv next but I would have to drop the mem voltage with it.

note: this is on a full custom water loop

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather

Last edited by Gandalfthewhite : Dec 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added note
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2018, 02:51 PM   #25
greasyhands
Vega 64

That looks really good, my hot spot has hit 86C, core at 1630 1000mV, mem 1000 at 1000mV. Fan never above 2500, so noise is fine. It's designed to run this hot, I'm ok with that.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 07:50 PM   #26
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Just ran a small gaming session and temps are maxing at 78c and core at 1600. Thats stock everything on latest drivers. Ill keep it this way for a bit and try undervolting tomorrow...

Vega is def a half decent 4k gaming card for a 60 hz mon dont set ultra just max or very high. I easily get 20-30% perf boost without loss of visuals afaict.

Fan gets a bit noisy but only in gaming and I set my sound high enough to cover it. Its quiet on desktop but unlike polaris fan is minimum 730 while polaris stopped its fans on desktop.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 5, 2018, 03:56 PM   #27
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyhands View Post
That looks really good, my hot spot has hit 86C, core at 1630 1000mV, mem 1000 at 1000mV. Fan never above 2500, so noise is fine. It's designed to run this hot, I'm ok with that.
Looks like I lost the silicon lottery. Cant undervolt at all. I tried just running a slight oc on the hbm at 1000 last p state and it also crashes even tho its samsung and not hynix...

Oh well Ill wait for the big driver at this point and see if auto undervolt can work a bit.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:54 PM   #28
greasyhands
Vega 64

The last few days of quite a bit of various games, State 6 1000mV, State 7 [email protected] Mem at stock 945 and 1000mV. Extended sessions peak at 78C on core hot spot according to gpu-z. I did manage 1 run of firestrike with core at 1700 and mem at 1125, got a little over 17000, but I didn't want to wreck my new card. Had to have 1200 mV on core and 1100 mV on mem for that., still only got up to 86C.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:01 AM   #29
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Its not all bad here on stock settings I get 1640 in games at 1200 mv rock steady. Core is hot at 85c but it runs it stable for long gaming sessions... After I see how the new auto undervolting driver runs Ill look into a new cooler.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Dec 6, 2018, 02:34 PM   #30
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Where'd all the Vegas go >:E

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is offline   Reply With Quote