Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

Angry Grrr...starcraft

Well i've been trying to get into starcraft recently, and i've been trying to play against the computer, but every single time i lose from their first rush of their basic soldiers, and in the same timeframe the computer has managed to consistently farm 3 times more materials then me and build a simple wave of attackers larger than me...what the heck am i doing wrong?! Is the computer just cheating or am i really this horribly, horribly bad at this game?

(just slightly mad and trying to figure out how it's possible for someone like me to be outclassed by the computer every single time the same exact way if i'm this bad against the computer, i shudder to think of how bad i'd be against real players )
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chubz once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My main tips from the other Starcraft thread:

* LEARN YOUR HOTKEYS! This is most important. Clicking is just far too slow if you do it for each and every command. Also, RIGHT CLICK to issue move orders instead of hitting M then clicking (or clicking the 'move' button and clicking) because this method is MUCH faster.

* DON'T STOP CONSTRUCTING WORKERS! Ok, I don't mean that 100% literally.. but most of the time (in fact, almost all of the time) you should keep pumping out worker units - especially for mineral or gas gathering. The more you have gathering minerals, the more cash will come in and the faster you'll be able to build up your base.

- SCOUT THE MAP! Use a worker unit or another low-cost unit to scout out your opponent's position so that you can: (1) See what race you're up against (2) See where your opponent is at (3) See what strategy your opponent is using or seems to be preparing to use.

- USE THE SPACE KEY FOR IMPORTANT MESSAGES! When you hear you're under attack, immediately hit the SPACE BAR to go right to the location where you just received the message. This can also be used for other messages such as buildings being complete, etc., but it's likely most useful for quickly reacting to attacks.

* UTILIZE CONTROL GROUPS! Control groups can be accessed by pressing one of the number keys (0 through 9), allowing you to effectively manage small "groups" of units. To create a control group, select a group of units, hold CTRL, and press one of the number keys. Now, you can re-select and command that group by hitting the number key at any time during the match. This can be VERY helpful for both micro and macro management.

* DON'T TURTLE! Those Photon Cannon barrages may seem powerful, but once your opponent gets siege units, you're done for! Turtling seems effective at the beginning of a match, but the odds are against you since choosing this tactic allows your opponent to dominate the rest of the map and build up huge armies that can easily decimate any amount of base defenses (if those units are used properly, of course).

- WATCH REPLAYS! The best way to get better is to watch replays from top players. They're professionals and they know exactly how the game works and how to both create and counter strategies. If you watch and mimic some of the things they do, you may be a great player one day as well. It does take an extraordinary amount of skill, however, so don't be depressed if you never quite reach that level! Some people are just born with the ability to manage everything so well in a RTS game.

The ones with the asterisks are the most important ones in my opinion if you continuously are overrun.

Last edited by Chubz : Aug 11, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

I was going to say something.. But yeah, what he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hatecrime play through the single player campaigns, for the original starcraft and then brood wars. Its a great way to learn the basics of the game for someone totally new to it, as you get access to only the weak units at first, then progressively the more and more powerful units.

That makes you understand how each unit works, its advantages, disadvantages and practice micro-ing them. Plus the storyline, while relatively basic, is still actually quite awesome for an RTS
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:27 PM   #6
-=John=-
Radeon Northern Islands

-=John=- is still being judged by the masses

Oh and if you are fighting a computer that's on random race it's handy to click on diplomacy to see what race you are up against.
-=John=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Hatecrime69
Radeon Evergreen

Hatecrime69 is still being judged by the masses

I've been trying to use my nostromo n50 to get quick access to the keys, though so far it just has up, down, left, right, space, shift, and ctrl on it I'll keep trying, so far i've been trying to stick with terrans as they seem the most straight-forward and easy to understand. I guess i'll try the campains too eventually. I don't know if it's something i'm doing wrong but whenever i seem to have any kind of units out they die in about 2-3 hits, the workers usually in 1, maybe 2, but i guess that's because i'm always so outnumbered

man the computer is ruthless though, the second they are ready i have soldiers coming my way, and in a 4-way match once all of the computer players teamed up against me at once (different unit types coming to me all at once) very un-fair
Hatecrime69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i got fed up and quit.. i one my very first starcraft game against the computer the other day. it was terran vs. terran.

I can't win agaisnt zerg though. in order to defend against their rush, you must NOT build anything other than a barracks and soldiers. especially on small maps. then they kill me next wave when i still have 12 soldiers and 10 goliaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:59 PM   #9
tjf81
Radeon R520

tjf81 is still being judged by the masses

When i play against the computer i just get the barracks, build about 12 marines then build bunkers. Bunker as usually enough defense to hold off any early attack. Get the factory as soon as possible and get siege tanks. Once you get siege tanks it's pretty hard for any race to take your base.
tjf81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:45 PM   #10
MarKoNiO
XXXtreme Gamer

MarKoNiO is still being judged by the masses

Any of you guys plays SC on Battle.net ?

PM me if anyone is up for some friendly games

~MarKoNiO~
~ XXXtreme Gamer 4 ever~
MarKoNiO is offline   Reply With Quote