Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 15, 2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
A2597
A Peculiar Person
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States Over Yonder Hill
Posts: 10,785
A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings


Default Beat Saber (VR Only)

Anyone else playing Beat Saber?
Honestly some of the most fun I've had in VR, and I wasn't expecting to use room scale hardly at all!

The way the rythm matches some of the songs is amazing. And the community is rocking it on adding new songs (The Greatest Showman is an excellent example of how to add in new songs!)

__________________


But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2018, 04:50 PM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States Kent, OH
Posts: 1,752
t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with


Default

I've been playing Beat Saber since I was 11
__________________
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2018, 04:44 AM   #3
Eisberg
Brrrrr
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,757
Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best


Default

So I played it today for the first time. It is a ton of fun.

And oh, boy, it sure is workout for this 40 year old fart. Since I noticed that it feels like an aerobic workout, I decided to take it a step further and move more of my body to the beat of the songs to get a little more exercise out of it... that's right I didn't call it dancing to the beat of the music, cause what I am doing cannot in good conscience call it dancing

How do you find more songs to use in the game?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. McKay
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:33 PM   #4
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States In a tree. Judging you.
Posts: 5,322
YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
So I played it today for the first time. It is a ton of fun.

And oh, boy, it sure is workout for this 40 year old fart. Since I noticed that it feels like an aerobic workout, I decided to take it a step further and move more of my body to the beat of the songs to get a little more exercise out of it... that's right I didn't call it dancing to the beat of the music, cause what I am doing cannot in good conscience call it dancing

How do you find more songs to use in the game?
Install the mod here: https://github.com/Umbranoxio/BeatSa...aller/releases

Then you can browse songs inside beat saber as well to download. Be forewarned though, the people making the beat maps for the songs right now are masochists. Most of them are for hard or expert. Some say easy, but I'm pretty sure they just included the easy difficulty as a joke cause got damn...

The songs that are added are from the Beat Saver website. https://beatsaver.com/index.php
__________________
“On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid
the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all
that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it’s
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"
YellowBeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Eisberg
Brrrrr
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,757
Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
Install the mod here: https://github.com/Umbranoxio/BeatSa...aller/releases

Then you can browse songs inside beat saber as well to download. Be forewarned though, the people making the beat maps for the songs right now are masochists. Most of them are for hard or expert. Some say easy, but I'm pretty sure they just included the easy difficulty as a joke cause got damn...

The songs that are added are from the Beat Saver website. https://beatsaver.com/index.php
Yeah, I eventually figured it out. I did get some new songs, and you are right, of all the songs I downloaded, none of the "easy" or "normal" difficulty match the "easy" and "normal" difficulty of the songs from the developers and all seem to be just like "hard" and "expert". SO yeah, either they are trolling, or they are horrible at making levels for the appropriate difficulty.

I also noticed many are horribly designed, expecting you to do the impossible. Like for example the box wants you to swing to the left, and then the box right after it, like less than a second after it wants you to swing to the left as well with the same saber as the one before it. There is no way someone can swing to the left and then have their saber in the correct position again to swing to the left in under a second.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. McKay
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2018, 06:53 PM   #6
YellowBeard
Radeon Arctic Islands
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: United States In a tree. Judging you.
Posts: 5,322
YellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwardsYellowBeard can recite pi backwards


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Yeah, I eventually figured it out. I did get some new songs, and you are right, of all the songs I downloaded, none of the "easy" or "normal" difficulty match the "easy" and "normal" difficulty of the songs from the developers and all seem to be just like "hard" and "expert". SO yeah, either they are trolling, or they are horrible at making levels for the appropriate difficulty.

I also noticed many are horribly designed, expecting you to do the impossible. Like for example the box wants you to swing to the left, and then the box right after it, like less than a second after it wants you to swing to the left as well with the same saber as the one before it. There is no way someone can swing to the left and then have their saber in the correct position again to swing to the left in under a second.
Think it's gonna be like that for a while. Lot of people just want to hammer on the beats instead of making fun maps a la the old DDR machines where people would just brace themselves on the back and just flail away with their feet. Gonna be wrist flicks instead of smooth motions, which is a shame as the maps where things flow are infinitely more fun even if they aren't as "hard".

I will say Gangnam Style is fun as hell though, with the blocks emulating that dance from the music video Also enjoyed Sail, expert but I managed to get my way through it the first time. Just got done with about an hour or so session. Really gotta make note of the downloadable songs I play that have fun maps. Country Song and Legend are my two most played base game songs though.

Edit: So, went back to play a couple more songs. Pompeii is pretty fun. Recently added. Hard, but doable. Also learning that this game does a number on my ankles of all things. Hike through the woods no problem, but this. lol. Seems to be that I plant my feet and rotate on my ankles to and fro to dodge stuff if I'm not actively moving to dodge walls. Completely different movement from what I'm used to.
__________________
“On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid
the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all
that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it’s
the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!”

YellowBeard says, "Fold ya scurvy b*st*rds!"

Last edited by YellowBeard : Jun 25, 2018 at 11:11 PM.
YellowBeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Eisberg
Brrrrr
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,757
Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBeard View Post
Think it's gonna be like that for a while. Lot of people just want to hammer on the beats instead of making fun maps a la the old DDR machines where people would just brace themselves on the back and just flail away with their feet. Gonna be wrist flicks instead of smooth motions, which is a shame as the maps where things flow are infinitely more fun even if they aren't as "hard".

I will say Gangnam Style is fun as hell though, with the blocks emulating that dance from the music video Also enjoyed Sail, expert but I managed to get my way through it the first time. Just got done with about an hour or so session. Really gotta make note of the downloadable songs I play that have fun maps. Country Song and Legend are my two most played base game songs though.

Edit: So, went back to play a couple more songs. Pompeii is pretty fun. Recently added. Hard, but doable. Also learning that this game does a number on my ankles of all things. Hike through the woods no problem, but this. lol. Seems to be that I plant my feet and rotate on my ankles to and fro to dodge stuff if I'm not actively moving to dodge walls. Completely different movement from what I'm used to.
yeah, I am hoping for some well made mods that play more like what the developers have done, that smooth motion. The Greatest Show man is an excellent mod that plays smoothly, though the "Normal" difficulty is mislabeled, cause it is very difficult, harder than some of the "hard" difficulty the developers have done, but it is difficult for the right reason.


Today I the "hard" difficulty of the "Beat Saber" song, that was a lot of fun level to play though. I was able to get 201/202 on Hard.

Really loving this game.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. McKay
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Eisberg
Brrrrr
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,757
Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best


Default

So I tried the YMCA mod. No, just no. I am convinced that mod was made to troll everyone. It expect you to make impossible moves. It also had sections where a massive amount of bombs are coming at you densely packed and it will have a box or 2 in the mix being completely surrounded by the bombs.

having a really hard time finding some good mods.


And in other news, I was able to get 202/202 on "Beat Saber" song, total of 122k points with a grade of A.

I also learned that the harder you hit the boxes, the more points you get. So the harder you hit it the more you score.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. McKay
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2018, 04:06 PM   #9
A2597
A Peculiar Person
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States Over Yonder Hill
Posts: 10,785
A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings


Default

Also look at BeastSaber
https://bsaber.com/top-curated-reviews/

Curated song reviews, makes it much easier to find the best tracks.
__________________


But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:42 PM   #10
Eisberg
Brrrrr
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,757
Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Also look at BeastSaber
https://bsaber.com/top-curated-reviews/

Curated song reviews, makes it much easier to find the best tracks.
oh, thank you. I'll check that out this weekend when I get to play again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. McKay
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:25 PM   #11
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Amanackia
Posts: 11,180
Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

It's a fun game, but I don't know that it appeals to me as much as DDR did. With DDR it felt more like I could always find a song that I could beat, with it also being challenging. In Beat Saber it feels more like a song is either too easy (hard), or it just buries me in too many blocks to read and I instantly fail (expert). Granted, I was better at DDR than I am at BS but the dynamic just doesn't feel the same.

I don't regret getting the game by any means, and I'm happy the community is making more songs, but it's definitely not the best experience I've had in VR either.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2018, 03:54 PM   #12
A2597
A Peculiar Person
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States Over Yonder Hill
Posts: 10,785
A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings


Default

A lot of it comes from the community not agreeing over difficulty levels.
The default "Hard" and "Expert" are what the community seems to deem "easy", but it's incredibly subjective. I've had "Expert" songs I can play pretty well, and then others where expert is impossible for me.

Hopefully, the official editor makes it more uniform, by looking at the number of blocks per second in a map and using that to identify a difficulty rating.
__________________


But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2018, 04:14 PM   #13
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States Orlando, FL
Posts: 5,680
Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Exposed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

I had pretty intense 5 minute session of beat saber last night.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2018, 09:29 PM   #14
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,637
jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
A lot of it comes from the community not agreeing over difficulty levels.
The default "Hard" and "Expert" are what the community seems to deem "easy", but it's incredibly subjective. I've had "Expert" songs I can play pretty well, and then others where expert is impossible for me.

Hopefully, the official editor makes it more uniform, by looking at the number of blocks per second in a map and using that to identify a difficulty rating.
I think hard is pretty damn hard. At least the one song I tried when I played it for the first time last night. I made it through but there were some sections that the blocks were so close together, I couldn't see the direction of the blocks till I broke the one in front of it.
At the same time, it was switching sides in those tight clusters and I messed it up in the middle of pretty much the same grouping 3 times.
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2018, 07:20 PM   #15
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Amanackia
Posts: 11,180
Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'


Default

It really depends on whether you've had previous experience with beat games. For someone like me who's played DDR extensively, I pretty much started on hard and have worked my way up to expert (still failing frequently).

Just keep playing and eventually your brain will rewire itself to the point where you will just subconsciously recognize the blocks and react basically without thinking. The weird thing is this will often happen when you're not playing. Like I'll come back to the game after several days and instantly be better than the last time I played. It's actually kind of weird.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2018, 08:23 PM   #16
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,637
jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
It really depends on whether you've had previous experience with beat games. For someone like me who's played DDR extensively, I pretty much started on hard and have worked my way up to expert (still failing frequently).

Just keep playing and eventually your brain will rewire itself to the point where you will just subconsciously recognize the blocks and react basically without thinking. The weird thing is this will often happen when you're not playing. Like I'll come back to the game after several days and instantly be better than the last time I played. It's actually kind of weird.
I try to cycle through the songs rather than playing the same one multiple times in a row. I figure that way I am actually reacting to the blocks rather then memorizing them. I can make it through all the hard and I think I've made it through 2 songs on expert. I seem to have the hardest time when they swap sides with the red and the blue to the far sides during large groupings. Tried it with weighted gloves too but it made my hands start to hurt due to the need to hang onto the controllers tighter.
What I really don't get is how can you 100% on hard and still get a C?
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Light Saber Battle TRD Supra Off Topic Lounge 11 May 9, 2008 09:06 PM
Light Saber game for Wii anounced [email protected] Console Gaming 18 Jun 5, 2007 03:11 PM
whats with all the saber prop colors?!?! Kamiclone Off Topic Lounge 3 Nov 24, 2004 10:23 PM
Anyone else like the Motorola Astro Saber? Microsoft Off Topic Lounge 4 Dec 23, 2002 12:29 AM
JKII Saber moves! CompuGeek PC Gaming 11 Apr 8, 2002 09:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com
Links monetized by VigLink