Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old May 14, 2004, 07:31 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FinnEiyre

FinnEiyre is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation Powercolor 9800 Pro w/Infineon? Help pls

I have a newly purchased Powercolor 9800 Pro with Infineon 3.0 memory. Yuck! The default clocks are, according to ATITool, 378 and 311. Can this be right? I try overclocking using the tool but cannot even get core to 400 or mem very high without severe artifacts.

ATItool also reports 8 pipelines and 256 bit mem. Device ID 4E48, and Chip type R350

Can anyone confirm this is legit? Any other way to confirm I have a true 9800 Pro?

Thanks mucho!

Finn
FinnEiyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 08:26 AM   #2
B.A. Baracus
Rage3D Veteran

B.A. Baracus is still being judged by the masses

wtf, the mem should be 340
B.A. Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 08:45 AM   #3
snookums
Nothing is true.

snookums is still being judged by the masses

this really shoud be over here

the core is fine, and before you start to OC, try another OC tool and see what it tells you the core and mem are...

the mem SHOULD be 338.5 or something by default
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 14, 2004, 09:07 AM   #4
Mr Paul
Radeon R420

Mr Paul is still being judged by the masses

It's a 9800 non pro flashed to a pro, but as the infineon memory is rubbish its been downclocked to 311.

Send it back and demand your money back.
Leadtek nForce II Ultra 400 Deluxe Limited Edition, Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2205Mhz, Swiftech MCX462-V with 92mm YS-Tech fan (50 CFM), 1Gb OCZ Platinum limited Edition (BH-6), Built By ATI Radeon 9800 np with Zalman ZM80C-HP with OP1 fan, 120Gb Maxtor Plus 9, 2 x 80Gb WD SE, Lite-On 40x CD burner, 10x Pioneer DVD drive, Lian Li PC-65 case with Rheobus and blue and red cold cathode, Hitachi 17" TFT. Windows XP SP1

www.hexaplague-hardware.com
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 09:12 AM   #5
FinnEiyre

Default Hmm...

I am disappointed to hear this may be a flashed non pro! I live in China and was a little weary to begin with as I know a lot of rebadging and stuff goes on here.

As far as this being posted in the overclocking forum, I wasn't sure where to post because at stock this card was not clocked properly. I am off now to look at what Rivatuner has to say.

Finn
Old May 14, 2004, 09:15 AM   #6
Mr Paul
Radeon R420

Mr Paul is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Hmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnEiyre
I am disappointed to hear this may be a flashed non pro! I live in China and was a little weary to begin with as I know a lot of rebadging and stuff goes on here.

As far as this being posted in the overclocking forum, I wasn't sure where to post because at stock this card was not clocked properly. I am off now to look at what Rivatuner has to say.

Finn
It's not a case of it may have been flashed it HAS been flashed. 9800 pro's do not and will never use infineon memory (they always have Samsung 2.86ns or Hynix 2.8ns). You have been unfortunately duped into buying a 9800np for the price of a Pro.

If you can take it back, I would....
Leadtek nForce II Ultra 400 Deluxe Limited Edition, Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2205Mhz, Swiftech MCX462-V with 92mm YS-Tech fan (50 CFM), 1Gb OCZ Platinum limited Edition (BH-6), Built By ATI Radeon 9800 np with Zalman ZM80C-HP with OP1 fan, 120Gb Maxtor Plus 9, 2 x 80Gb WD SE, Lite-On 40x CD burner, 10x Pioneer DVD drive, Lian Li PC-65 case with Rheobus and blue and red cold cathode, Hitachi 17" TFT. Windows XP SP1

www.hexaplague-hardware.com
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 09:20 AM   #7
B.A. Baracus
Rage3D Veteran

Yeah. You definately should take it back if you can
Old May 14, 2004, 09:24 AM   #8
FinnEiyre

Default Thanks!

I remarked to the shop helper that I thought the mem chips should read 2.8 and should not be Infineon. They will give me my money back or try to do an exchange, but the latter may be a problem as they themselves were probably duped by their supplier! They have always been good to me, so I am sure I won't have any problems.

Finn
Old May 14, 2004, 09:31 AM   #9
B.A. Baracus
Rage3D Veteran

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by FinnEiyre
I remarked to the shop helper that I thought the mem chips should read 2.8 and should not be Infineon. They will give me my money back or try to do an exchange, but the latter may be a problem as they themselves were probably duped by their supplier! They have always been good to me, so I am sure I won't have any problems.

Finn
good to hear
Old May 15, 2004, 08:59 AM   #10
FinnEiyre

Smile New card - TRUE 9800 Pro

Sorry to be lazy...just going to paste a copy of my message from another site.

------------------------------------------

Just to let everyone know that I have had the card replaced, and it was truly a 9800 NON Pro that was modded to Pro.

The shopkeeper was great, and he personally drove me to where he was supplied the cards. We met with the people working there and it turns out that they, and MANY others here in China, sell these modded cards with a name that is roughly translated as "Extra Value Edition" or something like that. They are even put in what I assume must be a very very good duplication of the Powercolor 9800 Pro box, or they have access to extra boxes that probably are made in China in the first place! Anyway, as soon as they heard some of my rough Chinese describing what I discovered, they were surprisingly up-front about it and treated it as if it was business as usual. Well, now I know what to look for on the little stickers they stick on the bottom of the cards. It's in Chinese, so if any happen to leak into the US, you can maybe use this to verify things......the real tip-off was the Infineon memory.

Oh, and if you ever get the chance to visit a Chinese computer market, be prepared to be overwhelmed by hundreds and hundreds of little shops crammed together. Many of these are selling the exact same merchandise as their immediate neighbors, so given the number and the lack of distinguishing wares, you can get lost and easily confused....probably what they want if you ever wanted a refund! ;-) BTW, Kingston ValueRam is everywhere here. They must be making a fortune.

Well, that's it....off to have some fun with the card!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Finn