Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Blasphemer is still being judged by the masses

Default Thinking of doing a review on a new Note 2 clone I have bought.

I have a galaxy s3 and was browsing ebay and saw new phones coming out of china with a mtk6589 quad core processor and a gig of ram with a 5.8" 720p IPS screen. I thought I'd pick one up, for a laugh. Not expecting much. Thinking of doing a review of it, comparing it to my S3. If anyone would read it. I have it, and first impressions are quite impressive. If there is any interest I'll run a load of tests and put a review together. Cheers.
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I'd be interested in seeing the review.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

Hell yeah.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

definitely interested
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Sure I'd love to see it. What version of Android is it running. Never mind I'll wait for the review.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i work in china, there are alot of phone in china that is cloning other brand name phone.

you should expect not top quality screen at worst.

performance wise, they should be ok.

some uses same samsung cpu gpu as well. its all depends on what cpu and gpu they use, and they probably wont' use the best ips panel .
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Apr 24, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:33 AM   #7
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'd read it.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Redshirt_X
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRedshirt_X can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'm morbidly curious if nothing else...go nuts, Blasphemer.

1. "OMG IT'S COMING!!!"
2. "OMG IT'S HERE!!!!!"
3. "....wait a minute. This isn't the Second Coming! This sucks!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
I like them tall and petite.
Redshirt_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Do it!
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Way to support knockoffs... brother.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Ok, here goes, I'll be comparing this phone to my Samsung Galaxy 3 (which is real). When it arrived I was slightly worried by the text on the back of the box which said it was using a MTK6577 DUAL core chip, I knew I had bought a MTK6589 QUAD core phone, nevertheless I unwrapped the battery (3.7v rated at 3600mAh) stuck it in and hit the button. It powered up with a weird sort of android honeycomb logo and a android caterpillar thing. Then it came to life and was a normal lock screen, although it does have swipe options either side of the lock screen (I didn't notice them at the time but I'll come back to them anyway)

After unlocking the screen I was very impressed with the size and resolution (1280 x 720 253ppi)of the screen itself, being used to an amoled screen the tones and colours of this screen seemed a lot "smoother" although the samsung colours are brighter, I measured the screen at 5.8" this sort of depends on which description you read as they seem to switch between 5.7" and 5.8". Overall the screen was very nice to look at. At extreme angles it does seem to "yellow" the display, but if you're going to be looking at it from those angles you arent getting the best view anyway. The responsiveness of the display was fantastic, this phone is not slow by any means. Ghosting was at a minimum and the pinch-to-zoom response was good, though maybe not at smooth as the Samsung.

I shut it down and put my S3 micro-sim into an adapter as the "Android Note 2" (lol) only takes full size sims, it has a dual sim capability although I'll only be using one. I also put in a 32GB micro sd card for storage and it contains some HD video for testing.

Powered it back up, and got to work, logging into my google account and setting things how I like them, checking out the settings tab I was astounded to find the Android version as being 4.2.1 although I doubt this can be trusted fully it does seem to have most of the new features (the swipe pages on the lock screen for a widget and the other side for the camera is a new feature apparently) I logged into play store and downloaded 3dmark, antutu, and vellamo benchmarks. The entire play store was available and there were no problems. I noticed that the "new feature" gesture typing was not there so downloaded swype as I'm so used to it from my S3. Anyway, on with the testing.

I started with Antutu, both tester and benchmark, tester confirmed that the screen handled 5 point touch and that it was a mt6589 quad core processor running at 1209mhz with 970MB of ram (thought it was supposed to be 1GB) so I went on to the Antutu benchmark tests and got a score of 12760 which I was quite surprised with how close it was with my S3 which scored between 13000 and 14500 depending on what i had running in the background. and in the detailed scores the PowerVR SGX 544MP was at least a match with the GPU in the S3 when it comes to 3D

Onto the 3DMark I benched both my S3 and the clone, my S3 scored a lowly 2750 on the ice storm and the clone 3167 with 1540 on the extreme setting which I dont think is a bad showing at all for the price of the phone. I must state that the build quality of this thing feels really good. I recieved a translucent case for it, and also a replacement back with velvet flip screen cover case, both very good quality.

I must say this phone is big and heavy though, it weighs in at a hefty 248g with the flip case on it

Onto the vellamo benchmark tests, I ran the full range of tests and got scores as follows: In the HTML5 test it got a score of 1408 which placed it just below the international S3 which scored 1513 and in the Metal tests it scored 429 which was just under the Galaxy note at 433 and then the S3 at 537. Not bad scores on the whole, seems to perform at a level higher than comparably priced handsets.

Battery life: ok I recieved 2 3600mAh batteries with this phone, I have only owned it a few days so the batteries are probably not giving their all as yet, however, I charged the battery fully overnight and used it as I would use my S3, a bit of surfing, some ebaying, calls, texts and a small amount of gaming (my lad tested out temple run 2 and said it didnt lag like his mum's iPhone 4) and when I put it back on charge after 1 day 14hrs it still had 22% battery left. It is now on its second charge and after 10:37 and moderate use it still has 72% left in it, which is now bad at all, I was playing Real Racing 3 on it and was really surprised how smooth it was and how responsive the steering was, no lag at all.

Wifi and 3G speed and reception: the WiFi reception is very good with this phone and I have no problem connecting with my router at all, my 3G reception (3UK) is very good too, mostly HSUPA and HSPA+ connection speed and ran speedtest at home on the 3G signal and got 19774kbps. I do think the WiFi signal tops out at 30'000 as both times I've tested it, it's around 29'950kbps. Where tested with my pc it hits over 60k.

Audio and media playback: now this is an interesting one, I have used the music player on android devices for over 3 years, from version 2.1 and there has always been a small, but noticable, gap between tracks when playing mix albums. This does NOT happen with this device, the tracks play seamlessly from one to the next, using the same files I have always used on my micro sd card. I was astounded, I don't know if this is a new feature of 4.2 or not. But i like it. The eq on this phone is nice, and the volume goes a LOT higher than phones released in the UK (Probably EU regulations) The video playback is flawless as expected, with the big screen helping out a lot, and the ability to play a video whilst surfing or even gaming is a probably useless but nice addition.

This phone does not come with flash player installed as standard, which is a bit odd as the processor supports it, but it was easily rectified and flash sites appeared as they should as soon as it was installed.

Overall I think this phone is great for the price (Ł165 I got a bargain) and if someone wanted a large screen phone for a fraction of the price of a Samsung Note or Note 2 then this is an option. I'm going to use this phone for a while and see how I get on, it might wear my pockets out being so heavy, but I'll find out. The difference in everyday performance between this and my S3 is negligible so unless it does something to annoy me, I might be selling my S3 and sticking with this.

If anyone wants me to run any more tests or apps or anything, just let me know and I'll check it out and put it on here.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Nice review, got any pics?

Also, does Flash work properly after 4.1? I thought it was unsupported after that.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:57 PM   #13
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

tldr version of review?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
tldr version of review?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Nice review, got any pics?

Also, does Flash work properly after 4.1? I thought it was unsupported after that.
I'm going to take some pics this weekend of packaging and size comparisons and stuff.

KAC phone good, ok?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

What is the situation with future Android updates for these phones?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
What is the situation with future Android updates for these phones?
May be best just to root it and not wait for anything official.

But I am paranoid and fear rooting my device would remove some of the built in security...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
May be best just to root it and not wait for anything official.

But I am paranoid and fear rooting my device would remove some of the built in security...
Is there a community rolling updates for these devices or do you have to make your own?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Blasphemer
Radeon Northern Islands

I have found an updated rom already for this device, but seeing as its already at 4.2.1 I don't know if its worth doing. Its referred to as a Star Ulephone n9589 but there seems to be a lot of devices with very similar hardware so it shouldn't be too hard to get a rom if necessary.