Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber
Default Dish makes a $25.5B offer for Sprint

Sometimes I just don't understand companies...

I mean sure we've got that $20B offer from SoftBank. Then we turn around and make a bid to buy out Clearwire (we already own half of it). So Dish comes along and decides it wants to make a counter offer for Clearwire which ultimately doesn't go through. But now Dish decides, "well if I can't have Clearwire I'll just buy the guy who's buying Clearwire." And now they offer $25.5B for Sprint to compete with SoftBank's $20B offer.

Now here's where it gets interesting. Of course Dish doesn't actually have $25.5B in cash.

Quote:
Sprint is a much larger company than Dish, with $35.3 billion in revenue last year, compared with $14.3 billion for Dish, making the deal a heavy lift financially. According to the Journal, which cited information from CapitallQ, the combined company would have more than $36 billion in debt, even before adding in the $9 billion Dish indicated it would borrow to get the deal done

Read more: Dish makes $25.5B offer to buy Sprint, countering Softbank - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...#ixzz2QY02355N
Subscribe at Fierce Pharma
So the two companies combined would make for roughly a $50B per year in revenue company. With Dish & Sprint at that point owing $45B in debt?

Quote:
Dish now has a record $10 billion in cash in hand, about as much as oil and gas giant Exxon Mobil, according to Bloomberg. The company's cash is again throwing the wireless industry into limbo; Sprint and Softbank had expected to finalize their deal by mid-year. The FCC has said it is on track to finish its review the Sprint-Softbank deal by the end of May.

And now it appears Clearwire is also in flux: According to the Wall Street Journal, Verizon Wireless has made a bid for Clearwire's spectrum worth up to $1.5 billion.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)

Last edited by shrike126 : Apr 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

What a weird day this is turning out to be.

From a purely selfish standpoint, I'm thinking I don't want to see the Dish thing go through. When they talk about $10B in cost savings due to "synergies" I can't help but think they're talking about the other thing...
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
So the two companies combined would make for roughly a $50B per year in revenue company. With Dish & Sprint at that point owing $45B in debt?
Why is it nuts? Their plan is long term.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why is it nuts? Their plan is long term.
But the debt payments for the short term would require some spending cuts.

I mean, I can see where Dish is coming from. They need to do something about the rise of TV services over the internet. They can't keep offering bundled TV services forever. So they want to go the route of AT&T and Verizon to start offering TV + Wireless + Home Internet bundled services. Something like this would help put Sprint on parity with those two guys, sorta...

Meh... I guess I don't really know what to think about this.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
But the debt payments for the short term would require some spending cuts.
How do you figure? Are they operating at a loss?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
How do you figure? Are they operating at a loss?
As near as I can tell, their net income is dropping. They're not operating at a loss but only because they borrowed a lot in the last year. The Blockbuster purchase hasn't exactly panned out for them. But the debt...

Judging by their financials they've gone from $5B in long term debt to $11B in long term debt. With current debt at $.5B and deferred long term liability charges in 2012 coming to $2B. Of course I may just be reading all of this wrong. I can't say I'd been paying much attention to Dish. I know they want to get into the market somewhere. I just don't want to see Sprint be someone else's Nextel.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Then purchasing Sprint makes even more sense. Get a solid revenue stream to offset that long term debt while you restructure other divisions.

I'm reading between the lines here but you have concerns about your future employment if Dish completes the purchase?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:06 PM   #8
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Then purchasing Sprint makes even more sense. Get a solid revenue stream to offset that long term debt while you restructure other divisions.
Except, apparently they're borrowing $9B in order to make the offer. Dish has spectrum that they're required to do something with before they run out of time. By either purchasing Clearwire, or us, they get to start using that spectrum without being punished or that spectrum advantage going away. It also helps them figure out how to manage a post TV delivery world when people start offering programming service over IP instead of over cable/satellite installs.

Quote:
I'm reading between the lines here but you have concerns about your future employment if Dish completes the purchase?
Not reading between the lines at all, I'll say it directly. Dish mentions that they plan to realize $11B or so in cost savings through "synergies" which to me means they'll plan to do a lot of cutting to make things fit their business models and plans. Among those cuts, I suspect we'll see jobs go as well. Whether that would be good for the wireless department or not.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Except, apparently they're borrowing $9B in order to make the offer.
From what you're saying, they don't have much choice and borrowing to make more down the road is probably the best option.

Quote:
Not reading between the lines at all, I'll say it directly. Dish mentions that they plan to realize $11B or so in cost savings through "synergies" which to me means they'll plan to do a lot of cutting to make things fit their business models and plans. Among those cuts, I suspect we'll see jobs go as well. Whether that would be good for the wireless department or not.
I think restructuring is to be expected regardless of who ends up buying out Sprint. Unless you're really low on the totem pole or redundant, I doubt anything would severely impact the wireless division. But in any case, good luck with whatever comes out of this.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:22 PM   #10
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
From what you're saying, they don't have much choice and borrowing to make more down the road is probably the best option.

I think restructuring is to be expected regardless of who ends up buying out Sprint. Unless you're really low on the totem pole or redundant, I doubt anything would severely impact the wireless division. But in any case, good luck with whatever comes out of this.
Fair enough...

I guess let me put it this way. There are some aspects of the SoftBank merger that I cannot talk about. But what I can say is that I'm inclined to believe SoftBank is interested in things that are relevant to building out a stronger wireless carrier, not just in the U.S. for Sprint but even in Japan for SoftBank there. Cheaper equipment, better purchasing power, tighter collaboration on products, there's a lot to suggest that this makes sense for making a stronger wireless carrier in both parts of the world.

This Dish thing I don't even know what to think of it, but I don't think it's designed with the idea of building a stronger wireless carrier.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Except, apparently they're borrowing $9B in order to make the offer. Dish has spectrum that they're required to do something with before they run out of time. By either purchasing Clearwire, or us, they get to start using that spectrum without being punished or that spectrum advantage going away. It also helps them figure out how to manage a post TV delivery world when people start offering programming service over IP instead of over cable/satellite installs.

With Blockbuster they moved the corporate offices to the Dish corporate offices and cut jobs that Dish Corporate employees can take on as well. Plus they did close down a lot of stores that were not making a good enough profit.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Sounds like more high cost/high latency internet options to me, but if it keeps TWC and ATT in check, then so be it.

Best of luck to you shrike. I've been through so many mergers it's not even funny. They're always a time of uncertainty, and in some cases (like my last one) leave you dealing with ****ing morons for several years. Win some.. you lose some!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:43 AM   #13
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Here is a site that deals with the proposed merger

http://completedishsolution.com/
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:42 AM   #14
Zero
Sass hole

lol @ investor presentation

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:21 AM   #15
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:53 PM   #16
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Quote:
Things have got a whole lot better for employees. On the installer side we now have:

1- We get paid more if we work on a Holiday
2- They will now take volunteers to work on a holiday, even if it meant the volunteer would be working over time.
3- There has been no mandatory over time, as in having to work an extra day, for a while now. And when they do need overtime they have been asking for volunteers.

Joe Clayton has really turned the dish culture around, but there is still lots to do that he plans on doing.
Quote: