Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:12 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Idiot doesn't realize he's still on ignore
Idiot keeps checking my posts when I'm on his ignore list. Makes a lot of sense.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:18 PM   #32
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

If battery life is a concern, why don't you upgrade to a Note 2 or buy an extended battery? You can grab one of these.

My Note 2 has fantastic battery life. I love this thing.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:21 PM   #33
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Note 2 is too big for my liking. And I don't want a larger battery that will make the phone not fit in my case accessories or add bulk.

The issue of efficiency and power management can surely be improved internally.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:22 PM   #34
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
So if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, shut the **** up.
I was trying to help by inquiring about signal strength, so no Zero, you can shut the **** up. You started with the dumb comments about defense of my purchase when I was genuinely trying to help you with an issue you ahve with your phone. You're calling me a little kid but you go out of your way every single time I post in this part of the forums to degrade my posts and paint me as a fandroid when I've made it clear that is not the case.

So here it is.. **** you. You constantly talk about how shitty the battery life is.. we get the point. I've said it multiple times that the battery life is mediocre at best. I do not have problems with the battery life because I charge my phone either at the end of the night or in the morning. I do not have issues with the battery life because of this, or because I am not using 4+ hours of screen time in a single day.

If you do have battery issues, get a different ****ing phone and stop whining like a four year old every time the S3 is brought up. This has nothing to do with the defense of my purchase but the fact that you are saying what we already know - the S3 does not have great battery life.

Also, where did I say my phone lasts 30 hours? I do not require that nor need the phone to last that long. I get enough to leave me with (usually) 40-50% battery by the end of the day, and then it's either put on the charger that night or the next morning where it is in the low 30's. This does not mean I don't appreciate better battery life. It simply means that I do not need more for the amount of time I spend on my phone.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:23 PM   #35
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I don't want a larger battery that will make the phone not fit in my case accessories or add bulk.
I don't think the battery I linked to will have that much of an effect. Some cases may not fit, but I'm not sure.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:26 PM   #36
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
So here it is.. **** you. You constantly talk about how shitty the battery life is.. we get the point. I've said it multiple times that the battery life is mediocre at best. I do not have problems with the battery life because I charge my phone either at the end of the night or in the morning. I do not have issues with the battery life because of this, or because I am not using 4+ hours of screen time in a single day.
If you agree it's mediocre, what's the point of repeatedly posting that it's "good enough" for you except as a personal product defense?

If you DIDN'T do that, I might consider your opinion as something more than a kneejerk fanboy reaction. In fact shutting the **** up when you have nothing to add to the issue would be the PERFECT way to prove that.

Quote:
If you do have battery issues, get a different ****ing phone and stop whining like a four year old every time the S3 is brought up.
I brought up the thread to discuss why similar hardware (the 920), running similar services, can have such better battery life.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalker View Post
I don't think the battery I linked to will have that much of an effect. Some cases may not fit, but I'm not sure.
I've checked out all the extended batteries for the S3, they all add noticeable bulk to the back cover and make it impossible to fit in any form fitting case.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:31 PM   #38
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
If you agree it's mediocre, what's the point of repeatedly posting that it's "good enough" for you except as a personal product defense?
I charge my phone every night, so the battery life works fine for me. I would like more but it really wouldn't do much because I charge my phone every night/every morning. All I am stating is that the battery life is indeed mediocre but that is not affecting my phone experience the same way it is for you - implying that I am either getting much better battery life compared to you or just not using my phone as much. Either way, I do not have an issue with battery life and we have the same phone. That is relevant to the discussion in some shape, way, or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero
If you DIDN'T do that, I might consider your opinion as something more than a kneejerk fanboy reaction. In fact shutting the **** up when you have nothing to add to the issue would be the PERFECT way to prove that.
Interesting, read the below. Nothing I posted in this thread is a kneejerk fanboy reaction. I think you're the one having the kneejerk reaction here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero
I brought up the thread to discuss why similar hardware (the 920), running similar services, can have such better battery life.
Excellent. I brought up the point about signal strength possibly playing a part in reduced battery life on the S3. But that was just me defending my purchase, right?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #39
Zero
Sass hole

The battery life working for you doesn't make it not mediocre. It's the same as saying, "it's shitty but I'm working with it." So no, you don't have a point (or counterpoint) as to the argument "the S3 has shitty battery life".

The point of interest here is: what is the difference in the way power management is handled on the 920, given that other factors like syncing, connectivity, background apps remain the same?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:03 AM   #40
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
The battery life working for you doesn't make it not mediocre. It's the same as saying, "it's shitty but I'm working with it." So no, you don't have a point (or counterpoint) as to the argument "the S3 has shitty battery life".

The point of interest here is: what is the difference in the way power management is handled on the 920, given that other factors like syncing, connectivity, background apps remain the same?
I think android continues to have issues going in to deep sleep. I definitely lose more battery life overnight than I have with either iOS or WP7 but the battery life is still just fine.

You can run different kernels, and/or governors that can make a pretty big difference if you're rooted.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:11 AM   #41
Zero
Sass hole

Have tried a few when I was running other roms, that's where the 30 hrs max life figure comes from. It's noticeably longer than stock kernel battery life (which I say tops out around 24 hrs with the same medium use). But it's still not as impressive as the 40+ hrs I've gotten so far on the 920 out of the box. And there's still more than half the battery left!

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:28 AM   #42
ML21
No soup for you!

ML21 is still being judged by the masses

maybe give Greenify and/or Clean Master a shot?

Greenify:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2155737
Clean Master:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.mguard&hl=en

I'm using both of them together and it help increased my POS Nexus S's battery life.

ML21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:18 AM   #43
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i always thought it was the OS that determined how it handles low power states or whatever, and with that I think WP8 was better for battery. that and Nokia firmware stuff (i remember the Lumia 800 having garbage battery life when it was released, and a couple firmware updates fixed that)

that and battery size, but i think the S3's is the same size as the 920.... (actually S3 is 2100mah, 920 is 2000mah after researching)

Why dont you just get a second battery OEM, not an extended life one, and then just carry it around with you when you need to? then you wouldnt have to worry about case size differences.

But if the battery life pisses you off that much, get this behemoth lol
http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/0...y-going-cheap/

7000mah is going to probably last you like a week and a half lol.

My Lumia 710 has crappy battery life, and i mainly attribute that to its pitifully tiny 1450mah battery (my old Optimus 7 lasted longer, and i think its battery was 1650mah or something)
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:44 AM   #44
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

- Check the running processes to see if Media is running. The media scanner in 4.1.x is known to cause battery drain.
- Do you use Viber? One other common cause for wakelocks.

Not sure if 4.2.2 has been leaked for the S3 yet it might improve battery life, at least it did for the Nexus 4.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:37 AM   #45
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Is your wifi on all the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:25 AM   #46
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML21 View Post
maybe give Greenify and/or Clean Master a shot?

Greenify:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2155737
Clean Master:https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.mguard&hl=en

I'm using both of them together and it help increased my POS Nexus S's battery life.
I'll give those a try thanks. Will post back with my results but I don't expect the battery life to double or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Is your wifi on all the time?
Yes.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:27 AM   #47
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaP911 View Post
- Check the running processes to see if Media is running. The media scanner in 4.1.x is known to cause battery drain.
- Do you use Viber? One other common cause for wakelocks.

Not sure if 4.2.2 has been leaked for the S3 yet it might improve battery life, at least it did for the Nexus 4.
Media process isn't actively running unless I play music or videos AFAIK. Battery stats didn't show any usage for it since last charge and I haven't played any media.

I don't have vibes either.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:36 PM   #48
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

If wifi is on all the time, then for sure battery life will suck the ass.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Zero
Sass hole

Actually its better for battery life to have wifi on, so it doesnt fall back on mobile data which requires more power. Wifi management isnt as good as other platforms imo though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #50
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I dunno. If its important you can always sell it on eBay and buy an iPhone 5.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:42 PM   #51
Zero
Sass hole

Why would I downgrade my phone? Again, the argument of get another phone doesn't resolve the issue with my platform of choice.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:27 PM   #52
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

im just wondering...if 30 hrs is bad...what is considered good?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:35 PM   #53
Zero
Sass hole

3+ days?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:55 PM   #54
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

i dont think i ever recall seeing a smartphone last anywhere near that long unless you do absolutely nothing on it.....

in which case you may as well just get a feature phone which lasts a week easy.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:06 PM   #55
Zero
Sass hole

My iPhone 4 did, as did my LG Quantum. And now the 920 I'm playing with.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:20 PM   #56
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Try changing the sleep settings on your wifi (settings -> wifi -> *hit the menu button* -> advanced). That should help significantly. If not, there's something going screwy with the kernel that's preventing the phone from entering sleep mode.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:33 PM   #57
Zero
Sass hole

There are three wifi settings:

Always on
On only while charging
Never

It's actually best on always on otherwise it defaults to mobile data which sucks more battery. I'm pretty sure I said this above...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #58
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
My iPhone 4 did, as did my LG Quantum. And now the 920 I'm playing with.
Just sayin'... not sure why you changed platforms if you had the battery life you need and it's important to you.

If you're gonna keep your S3 maybe you need a bigger battery and some more mods.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:25 PM   #59
Zero
Sass hole

I switched platforms because iOS wasn't enough. It's not just about the battery life. WP8 has the battery life I want but it's not enough either.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:19 PM   #60
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Try the stuff suggested here. Particularly the dalvik cache wipe and disabling Google Now.
Quote:
Quote: