Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Default Nokia 920 users: best case?

Getting one of these for my mother, would like to get her a full coverage case as well. Suggestions?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The thing's pretty durable on its own, it doesn't really need one. I would just put one of those invisibleshield or whatever on the screen and perhaps around the device as well.

I think its thickness is actually quite a benefit. Everyone putting cases on the skinnier phones end up having something that's much thicker or heavier than the 920 by itself.

A friend of mine has an iphone5 and he has this rechargeable case thing on it that makes it a little longer, heavier and its much thicker than my 710 (which itself is a bit thicker than a 920).

And I know someone else with an iphone5 with some weirdo metal case that makes it WAY heavier and a gain much thicker.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Getting one of these for my mother, would like to get her a full coverage case as well. Suggestions?
One of these, if you don't mind the screen being exposed. I have the cyan version myself and everyone just assumes that it is actually my phone naked

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-02733Q0-...=nokia+cc-1043

The phone is not small, so a large case will make it a little more difficult to hold if it is for your mother (assuming her hands are smaller than mine).

However, if you want something more rugged:

http://www.otterbox.com/nokia-lumia-...efault,sc.html

Also a good selection available here for other styles.

http://store.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920-cases.htm
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Thanks for replies guys. I was thinking Otterbox for the drop protection but, you're right the phone is not small and it would add more bulk. I'm not worried about scratches on the screen, just want something that would absorb some impact if dropped.

How much drop protection do you think your case provides sazar?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Thanks for replies guys. I was thinking Otterbox for the drop protection but, you're right the phone is not small and it would add more bulk. I'm not worried about scratches on the screen, just want something that would absorb some impact if dropped.

How much drop protection do you think your case provides sazar?
It is not a lay flat design on the front. I am sure corners and back would be fine, but if it fell face first... it's all glass so do the math

You might want to check your local ATT store or Microsoft store to see if they have any cases around and perhaps try them out. They helped me try out some cases at ATT. They sucked so I waited for the official Nokia one, but there are some bumper style and thinner 2 ply ones that might work.

Alternatively, you can go with a smaller WP8 phone which is easier to hold in the hand.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

The drop tests are promising as far as the glass and overall durability are concerned, the corners seem to get dinged up easily though. If the glass breaks, I'll just get her another one. But I'll never hear the end of it if there's not enough damage to justify a replacement and she has to live with cosmetic blemishes

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
The drop tests are promising as far as the glass and overall durability are concerned, the corners seem to get dinged up easily though. If the glass breaks, I'll just get her another one. But I'll never hear the end of it if there's not enough damage to justify a replacement and she has to live with cosmetic blemishes
The glass is tough, but not indestructible, and it WILL scratch, just like everything else out there on phones (except maybe the super expensive crystals).

The Nokia case might be the best of all worlds if you want to keep it simple.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Hey Sazar, I've read on wpcentral that the Nokia case can scuff the phone's polycarbonate shell. Have you noticed this on your 920 (especially around the corners or back)? I got a matte black one and they claim the issue more apparent because of the black 920's clear coat. Considering switching to a glossy colour if it helps.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Hey Sazar, I've read on wpcentral that the Nokia case can scuff the phone's polycarbonate shell. Have you noticed this on your 920 (especially around the corners or back)? I got a matte black one and they claim the issue more apparent because of the black 920's clear coat. Considering switching to a glossy colour if it helps.
The case itself won't scuff anything. If dirt/grit get's inside, that is the medium causing the scuffing. I had the same problem with my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4. I didn't scratch anything, but I did get dirt inside. You just have to be vigilant.

The white polycarbonate is not indestructible, and you can scratch it. But it is not apparent due to the gloss and the color. You can only really notice it when you hold the phone a certain way.

Overall, my phone has no issues around the corners or the back, to answer your question
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Yeah I think I might put a full body skin on it and then put it in the case

I don't think I want my mom worrying about her phone that much and she doesn't want to switch colors argh.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"