Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Google's crusade against Adblock heats up...

A sign of things to come, I think.

Quote:
As of Android 4.2, Google has the capability to scan sideloaded content for malware. It’s not a big leap of logic to see Google engineers using the same technique to prevent ad-blocking software from being sideloaded as well. While that’s only conjecture, it wouldn’t be surprising now that Google isn’t trumpeting Android as “open” very much anymore. Maybe sideloading will even be phased out in the future. As Google takes away power from the handset makers, it’s quite obvious that Google is making Android more like iOS. When a piece of software doesn’t fit Apple’s ideal, the Cupertino company has no qualms about squashing it. Google is now very much in the same boat.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/15...ur-only-option

Quote:
Various advertising networks, including Google's own AdMob, would qualify as a service that ad-blocking software interferes with on a daily basis. Though the apps have been permitted to operate for months without issue, Google has decided to purge its app store of ad blockers.

Blocking ad-blockers is not a surprising decision given that Google closed a "security flaw" necessary for ad-blocking software to function on Android 4.2.2. Removing the apps from Google Play prevents millions more from accessing the software through official channels; however, users will still be able to install ad-blocking software by downloading APK files and installing them manually. It will not be as easy to distribute or discover the apps, but pre-Android 4.2.2 devices will be able to continue using ad blockers.

Read more at http://www.mobileburn.com/21345/news...tjwwFhs2Jbw.99

Make it difficult to install: Adblockers required root to even work. Scary warnings about voiding warranties.

Make it difficult to even setup: Adblockers had to be manually configured or they were useless. Most people go eh, POS doesn't work!

Make it difficult to even get: Most will never know, since they are gone from the app store. Scary security warning about naughty software.

Next...

It's amazing how many computers I see now coming pre-installed with Gooware. How many apps now try to push Gooware onto your system when you install those programs.

Long live our spyware pushing overlord!

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Apr 2, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
gamefoo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
A sign of things to come, I think.

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/15...ur-only-option

Make it difficult to install: Adblockers required root to even work. Scary warnings about voiding warranties.

Make it difficult to even setup: Adblockers had to be manually configured or they were useless. Most people go eh, POS doesn't work!

Make it difficult to even get: Most will never know, since they are gone from the app store. Scary security warning about naughty software.

Next...

It's amazing how many computers I see now coming pre-installed with Gooware. How many apps now try to push Gooware onto your system when you install those programs.

Long live our spyware pushing overlord!
The app scanning is optional. Upon upgrading to JDQ39 (4.2.2) my phone asked if I would like Google to scan the apps. I clicked no. You can easily change the option in your security settings.

Most adblockers require root because they monitor traffic in real time (Adblock Plus did this) or they modify your hosts to reroute ad traffic. These are not things that normal programs should be doing, so the fact that they require root is good.

It's a shame they removed the apps from the store, but it's not a problem. Many of the apps were free and now they are just hosted on their own sites.

Last edited by ViN86 : Apr 2, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote