Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
That's an absurd claim, developing on different platforms will always require overhead.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this sentiment. Why do you keep repeating it?

Quote:
If you don't have time and money, then you've done something wrong getting to that point.
I still can't fathom why you don't get this.

If a dev builds an app for iOS and then ports it over to Android and it works, that's awesome. If there is enough time, due dilligence, and money, they will update to take advantage of features on the platform such as widgets, the different methods of loading the app, sharing, notifications, and all that jazz.

Because of the practices developed as a result of building apps in iOS, which had the first proper app store for mobile, many of these things don't happen and you end up with inferior apps in Android.

The title of the article and the gist of the author's point was exactly that. You are reacting almost as if it is an affront to iOS and blaming the devs solely. Yes, it is their fault, but those bad habits came out of somewhere, and the lack of resources is a problem because not everyone is part of a decently funded dev house.

Shrike has explained his position in relation to what the author wrote.

Quote:
I feel like this is devolving into a "because I said so" argument. Feel free to believe whatever feeds into your agenda.
I remember when we used to have conversations without you jumping the gun and getting all antagonistic all the time.

Those were good days.

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to say?
Exactly what I said.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:10 PM   #32
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Keep on keepin' on Apple. You're telling iOS developers exactly how important they are to you.

Quote:
Facebook finally unveiled its long-speculated "Facebook phone" on Thursday in the form of the HTC First, but the phone was actually the least important part of the announcement. More importantly, Facebook revealed an entirely new piece of software called Facebook Home that will be available for an array of popular Android handsets next week: Samsung's Galaxy S III, S 4, and Note II, and HTC's One, One X, and One X+. Support for other Android handsets (and, eventually, tablets) will follow in the coming months.

One of the inquiries at the post-event Q&A session asked an obvious question: will Facebook Home support iOS?

"We do have an active dialogue to do more with them but anything that happens with Apple will happen through partnership with them," said Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg at the press conference. "Google is aware of what we're doing, but Android is a more open system so we don't have to work directly with them to build this experience."

In short, Apple's phones won't be getting Facebook Home any time soon. If you're familiar with how each operating system works, this should come as no surprise. But if you aren't, a brief explanation may be in order.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/04...a-home-on-ios/
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:12 PM   #33
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
If a dev builds an app for iOS and then ports it over to Android and it works, that's awesome. If there is enough time, due dilligence, and money, they will update to take advantage of features on the platform such as widgets, the different methods of loading the app, sharing, notifications, and all that jazz.
Project management 101: is the project feasible with the budget allocated? If you start going in the red because of your port, you did something wrong.

You are talking also talking about porting apps. I'm talking about multiplatform development in general without, necessarily, a lead platform.

Quote:
The title of the article and the gist of the author's point was exactly that. You are reacting almost as if it is an affront to iOS and blaming the devs solely. Yes, it is their fault, but those bad habits came out of somewhere, and the lack of resources is a problem because not everyone is part of a decently funded dev house.
What the **** do I give two shits about iOS? It's the stupidity of pro-Android fanboys (read what the author does), devs that can't grasp simple project management, and idiotic arguments that annoy me.

If you are now setting out to build a new multiplatform app, there are a gazillion decisions to make on scope, feasibility, and budget. If you're worth anything as a member of that team (or an independent dev), you WILL establish whether or not it's worth working with iOS before hand even touches keyboard. Not having time/money to work around issues on multiplatform development is bad, bad, bad project management or planning. No excuse for that.

Quote:
Shrike has explained his position in relation to what the author wrote.
And while I appreciate that, shrike's position is somewhat unique. Most devs should NOT have access to unique hardware id, and most devs don't have as much pressure to make things work the same on multiple platforms. Even so, I don't see this unique identifier issue being a big deal or even limiting what you can do with the Android version. Scope and budget are different things and maybe we don't have a good idea of what shrike is trying to do with regards to those.

Quote:
I remember when we used to have conversations without you jumping the gun and getting all antagonistic all the time.

Those were good days.
I've always been angonistic because reason is the only side I pick.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:26 PM   #34
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

More examples of what you can accomplish on a platform like Android that iOS prevents you from tinkering with.

Quote:
“Open” versus “closed”

The word "open" is thrown around by so many people and in so many contexts that it can basically mean anything you want it to mean. In the case of Android and iOS, the distinction is simple: Android's source code is freely available to those who would like to download and tinker with it, and iOS' is not. Android also allows end users to customize things like their keyboard and app launchers, while Apple opts not to in the name of simplicity and consistency.

iOS does allow you to download and run any software you want from Apple's App Store, but even those apps come with restrictions (some obvious and some less so). Third-party apps aren't allowed to communicate directly with one another, for example (you can't use the Facebook app to post a photo stored in Dropbox), and apps can generally only interact with third-party services that Apple explicitly supports (you can post a photo from the Photos app to Twitter or Facebook, but not to Google+).

Finally, third-party apps aren't given the same level of access to the OS as first-party apps: mobile Safari can use Apple's beefed-up Nitro Javascript engine, but Google's Chrome for iOS can't access it or use its own rendering engine (a slower, Nitro-less version of the browser engine is used in it and all third-party apps that load webpages).

Want to change the way your phone looks and acts? You're going to need Android.

Android, on the other hand, lets third parties modify the user experience pretty much however they want—Google has loose requirements for phones that provide access to the Google Play store and the Google Android apps, but otherwise anything goes. Android browsers can use their own rendering engines. The Gallery app can upload photos through any app that tells the Gallery app that it is capable of uploading files (a system called "intents"). Phone makers, carriers, and users can all install basically any application launcher, keyboard, or app that they want.

This is the "open"-ness that Facebook is taking advantage of in order to make Facebook Home work. Home itself is essentially an application launcher that changes the way your phone looks and acts without actually modifying the core Android OS, which will also allow Facebook to keep Home updated without having to clear the updates with a carrier first. Because of how Home works, basically any Android phone can become a Facebook phone as long as it's supported, and the company doesn't have to worry about the fragmentation headaches, vastly different UIs between phones from different manufacturers, and other inconsistencies that plague the platform.

Because of all of this, Home in its current incarnation can't move away from Android to most other platforms, either. Both Windows Phone 8 and BlackBerry 10 have the interfaces and app launchers that they have, and there aren't any mechanisms by which a third-party application could dig its hooks in as deeply as Home does on Android. Without coding a completely separate operating system, then, Android is the only platform that can support Home at all.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:45 PM   #35
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Keep on keepin' on Apple. You're telling iOS developers exactly how important they are to you.
You quote this as if people actually WANT Facebook as their main software for their phones. This is just wrapper of a wrapper of Android. Must go deeper.

Didn't Microsoft already try the concept of a "people first" hub with Windows Phone 7 & 8? How did that work out?

Facebook makes a decent presentation, but their functionality/UX is a different ballgame as they can barely get their apps to work and work with even the most basic functions (ie. I STILL can't change my FB profile pic on my phone without uploading it first, then selecting it - thus giving me 2 photos showing up on my Timeline; you STILL can't drag and drop a group of photos on the desktop browser like any other MODERN photo sharing site).

Again, don't quote Facebook as if they are doing something revolutionary. This has been done, now with Facebook's name on it. Sure iOS is closed and locked down, but they pay out more to developers, and therefore, that's were developers will be.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 05:50 PM   #36
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
You quote this as if people actually WANT Facebook as their main software for their phones. This is just wrapper of a wrapper of Android. Must go deeper.

Didn't Microsoft already try the concept of a "people first" hub with Windows Phone 7 & 8? How did that work out?

Facebook makes a decent presentation, but their functionality/UX is a different ballgame as they can barely get their apps to work and work with even the most basic functions (ie. I STILL can't change my FB profile pic on my phone without uploading it first, then selecting it - thus giving me 2 photos showing up on my Timeline; you STILL can't drag and drop a group of photos on the desktop browser like any other MODERN photo sharing site).

Again, don't quote Facebook as if they are doing something revolutionary. This has been done, now with Facebook's name on it. Sure iOS is closed and locked down, but they pay out more to developers, and therefore, that's were developers will be.
Except of course, this developer. Who's not on iOS.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:23 PM   #37
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Apple has decided to pull another app from their market after reinterpreting their own rules. I can only imagine why they decided to do an about face on this...

http://www.slashgear.com/appgratis-c...stem-09277032/

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:02 AM   #38
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Spell it out for those of us who only see vague reporting.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:48 PM   #39
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Well from the AppGratis article:
Quote:
In a lengthy blog post on the AppGratis website, CEO Simon Dawlat expressed his frustrations with Apple and the removal of the AppGratis app from the iTunes App Store, saying that he is “stunned that Apple took the decision to destroy so much value within their own ecosystem,” and goes as far as saying that the iTunes App Store is a “broken App Discovery world.”

Dawlat notes that the app has had run-ins with Apple’s guidelines in the past, but the two were able to solve all issues to keep the app in the iTunes App Store. However, Dawlat says that Apple pretty much “changed their minds overnight” and removed the app due to not following a couple of the app-submission guidelines.

However, Dawlat notes that the app’s current 12 million users have nothing to worry about, and the AppGratis service will still work as normal since all the features work off of the company’s own servers. Dawlat says that even though the iOS app is out of commission, “it’s business as usual” for the company, and AppGratis “will keep updating everyday with new free apps and cool discounts.”

http://www.slashgear.com/appgratis-c...stem-09277032/
I think the criticism being leveled here is that Apple, at one point, approved of the app. It existed on the store for a while after it was approved. It was after this approval was granted, that it was subsequently revoked. This revoking of the app wasn't due to a change in the app itself, but rather a reinterpretation of the "rules" the app abided by.

Unfortunately there is no escalation or decision review processes. Apple's front line employees who review the apps, can giveth and taketh away. But it is interesting to remember that at one point, we took Microsoft to court over the way they implemented IE which didn't give competing browsers a chance (in their eyes).

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:25 PM   #40
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Well from the AppGratis article:

I think the criticism being leveled here is that Apple, at one point, approved of the app. It existed on the store for a while after it was approved. It was after this approval was granted, that it was subsequently revoked. This revoking of the app wasn't due to a change in the app itself, but rather a reinterpretation of the "rules" the app abided by.

Unfortunately there is no escalation or decision review processes. Apple's front line employees who review the apps, can giveth and taketh away. But it is interesting to remember that at one point, we took Microsoft to court over the way they implemented IE which didn't give competing browsers a chance (in their eyes).
Of course, no comments from Apple. Of course Mr. Dawlat can say and spin things however he likes.

It's Apple's playground and their rules. If you don't want to follow them, the go and make no money off the Google or Amazon's store. Amazon is particularly bad since they regularly set your price to whatever they want apparently.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Apr 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:34 PM   #41
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Of course, no comments from Apple. Of course Mr. Dawlat can say and spin things however he likes.

It's Apple's playground and their rules. If you don't want to follow them, the go and make no money off the Google or Amazon's store. Amazon is particularly bad since you regularly set your price to whatever they want apparently.
Except. I've personally encountered this trouble with reinterpretations of app guidelines myself. Which makes his story that much more believable.

I agree with abandoning the Apple store. That's a decision I encourage any app developer to consider.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #42
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Except. I've personally encountered this trouble with reinterpretations of app guidelines myself. Which makes his story that much more believable.

I agree with abandoning the Apple store. That's a decision I encourage any app developer to consider.
Apple's Response: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...n-on-app-store

Seems it's sour grapes on the part of the developer...

Yeah, abandon the App Store if you no longer want to make any money. Totally fine if you develop apps for free.

Last edited by HAL10000 : Apr 10, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:27 PM   #43
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Apple's Response: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...n-on-app-store

Seems it's sour grapes on the part of the developer...

Yeah, abandon the App Store if you no longer want to make any money. Totally fine if you develop apps for free.
Again... an app that was deemed "fine" is now being removed due to a reinterpretation of what's allowed.

Quote:
The ouster of AppGratis from the App Store is reportedly the first in a coming crackdown on application discovery services in Apple's App Store that violate the company's rules.
This speaks specifically to app discovery. Apple wants complete control over the app discovery ecosystem. AppGratis was removed because they're exposing apps to end users without letting Apple control that communication. Regardless of whether users like or want this service, Apple is removing it because they can't monetize this interaction.

Quote:
Apple is specifically removing apps that are TRYING to generate revenue for promoting discoverability. Your point here makes no sense. They CANNOT make money on iOS anymore, but they CAN make money on Android. That's where they're going to develop apps for NOT-FREE.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:23 PM   #44
Zero
Sass hole

How do you know the problem something wasn't something in a recent update? It's all very vague, since AppGratis won't specify what rules they didn't follow.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #45
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Again... an app that was deemed "fine" is now being removed due to a reinterpretation of what's allowed.
A lot of apps have updated themselves to the point where they violate terms of service.

And by "reinterpretation", denying the ability of developers to use the notification system as a form of spam is a natural development itself.

Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #46
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
A lot of apps have updated themselves to the point where they violate terms of service.
Camera+ did that a few years ago and got yanked for a long time. It's now back on the App Store and is still one of the best camera apps available for iOS. I like how this thread turned into iOS shitfest instead of actually discussing how it's impacting Android development.

*cough*impartial moderation*cough*

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:47 PM   #47
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Camera+ did that a few years ago and got yanked for a long time. It's now back on the App Store and is still one of the best camera apps available for iOS. I like how this thread turned into iOS shitfest instead of actually discussing how it's impacting Android development.

Really? A conversation about the constraints placed on developers through Apple business decisions on limiting APIs and changing app approval decisions based on app guidelines, is a shitfest? I brought up two recent examples of app developers (namely Facebook and AppGratis) leaving the iOS platform because of contraints and limitations within iOS. Two examples that I can empathize with because I've experienced some of those same limitations (we also abandoned iOS for Android development).

No wait... sorry... you're right. Android is **** and iOS is awesome. **** developers who say anything to the contrary (WITH EXAMPLES). Because that's how topics in this forum should go.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:01 PM   #48
Zero
Sass hole

I never argued that iOS isn't without its limitations, but the topic is really about how it's limiting Android development.

In the example provided, it's not. In fact, it's helping Android become the favored platform. What I'm perceiving is your frustration coming out about working with iOS's limitations. I sympathise since I've been there too but really, it has nothing to do with the thread. And as a mod, you should kinda see it derailing. You know what I mean?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #49
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
I never argued that iOS isn't without its limitations, but the topic is really about how it's limiting Android development.

In the example provided, it's not. In fact, it's helping Android become the favored platform. What I'm perceiving is your frustration coming out about working with iOS's limitations. I sympathise since I've been there too but really, it has nothing to do with the thread. And as a mod, you should kinda see it derailing. You know what I mean?
Hmmm... the topics seemed similar. Developers abandoning iOS in favor of a less restrictive platform seemed topically similar to a discussion on the limitations in iOS having an impact on cross-platform applications.

Maybe when I get home tonight I can split out the "iOS is influencing Android" conversation then from the "iOS is driving app developers to Android" discussion then into its own separate thread.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:19 PM   #50
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Hang on, NOW you want to talk about the impact on Android development?

Shrike is actually continuing the topic of how Apple and the limitations it has imposed directly impact developers.

How is it possible you cannot see that segue?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #51
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Hang on, NOW you want to talk about the impact on Android development?
That's what we were always talking about. Which is, there is none unless you try to do multiplatform development the same way across all platforms.

Since shrike is saying iOS is so restrictive, it's making people NOT do multiplatform development, the point is moot. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Shrike is actually continuing the topic of how Apple and the limitations it has imposed directly impact developers.

How is it possible you cannot see that segue?
No, shrike is describing iOS-specific limitations. THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO ANDROID.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:04 PM   #52
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
That's what we were always talking about. Which is, there is none unless you try to do multiplatform development the same way across all platforms.
There is a very simple concept that you are either purposefully, or otherwise, ignoring in it's entirety. It's cool. This is going to be my last post to you on this subject in this thread

Quote:
Since shrike is saying iOS is so restrictive, it's making people NOT do multiplatform development, the point is moot. You can't have it both ways.
Again, not all devs are swimming in money. Do a quick search, you'll notice the majority of devs are barely breaking even. Your perception is incredibly myopic.

Quote:
No, shrike is describing iOS-specific limitations. THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO ANDROID.
This whole thread is about the impact of iOS limitations. You are claiming his post is non-sequitur but it's a clear segue because it ties into the limitations.

Anyways, have fun.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #53
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
There is a very simple concept that you are either purposefully, or otherwise, ignoring in it's entirety. It's cool. This is going to be my last post to you on this subject in this thread
Sorry, I just think that argument is bullshit.

Quote:
Again, not all devs are swimming in money. Do a quick search, you'll notice the majority of devs are barely breaking even. Your perception is incredibly myopic.
I don't know where you get the notion that you need to be swimming in money to do multiplatform work. But in any case, if indie devs can't manage their process to be profitable, that's really not anyone's fault but their own. Porting will ALWAYS cost money/time/labour, it's not an unexpected cost in the development process.

As for the majority of devs not breaking even, might that be due to the amount of crapware floating around the markets? Not every monkey that can write code has a good idea that's worth paying for.

Quote:
This whole thread is about the impact of iOS limitations. You are claiming his post is non-sequitur but it's a clear segue because it ties into the limitations.
You posted an article on how iOS was limiting *Android development*. What shrike is talking about doesn't limit what you can do on Android, in fact, I'll repeat it again, it's encouraging devs to abandon efforts on iOS altogether. Or am I missing something?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:03 AM   #54
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Hmmm... the topics seemed similar. Developers abandoning iOS in favor of a less restrictive platform seemed topically similar to a discussion on the limitations in iOS having an impact on cross-platform applications.
Are they *really* abandoning iOS or are you actually frustrated that they're not?

So what if Facebook "abandoned" iOS with their shitty new hack to Android. Do you think anyone cares? To an extent, this could be seen as very insulting to Facebook users or it could reaffirm to everyone that there are millions of mindless sheep on Facebook. But I seriously doubt it will drive very many handset sales. Oh, and one of thing points someone else made is that this is very unwelcome by Google because Facebook overshadows the platform. Samsung did it with the S4 and now Facebook has done it too.

Either way, I don't see a mass exodus from the one platform that is generating actual money for people.

Google made one fatal error for Android that Apple did not. And that's ensure they have control over the software, especially in the case of system releases. How many tens of millions of Android phones out there still on sale by carriers are still not updated? You do realize that favours the carriers and handset makers who have a total interest in getting people to constantly upgrade their phones because most people do not have the recessive geek gene to tinker for hours on this stuff.

Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:08 AM   #55
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

FWIW, heard on a podcast that the HTC First has Android kernel adjustments. Their goal is all you interact with is Facebook and Facebooks apps.

iOS is apparently getting adjustments with the next revision. No idea what that means but lead OSX engineers are working on it now.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:23 AM   #56
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Are they *really* abandoning iOS or are you actually frustrated that they're not?
Wait what? I just posted some examples that came up recently, in addition to my own experience where yes we did abandon some of our iOS plans due to limitations. I'm only frustrated that the limitations in iOS are creating this problem at all, especially in the face of Apple's previous commitment to standardized cross-platform development (see HTML5).

Quote:
First, there’s “Open”.

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system.

Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member.

Apple even creates open standards for the web. For example, Apple began with a small open source project and created WebKit, a complete open-source HTML5 rendering engine that is the heart of the Safari web browser used in all our products. WebKit has been widely adopted. Google uses it for Android’s browser, Palm uses it, Nokia uses it, and RIM (Blackberry) has announced they will use it too. Almost every smartphone web browser other than Microsoft’s uses WebKit. By making its WebKit technology open, Apple has set the standard for mobile web browsers.

Steve Jobs himself: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
You'll notice Apple admits to proprietary limitations on their products but supports "open" development environments. Which is awesome because giving developers MORE options means developers can make creative apps that do cool things. But it's counter intuitive to declare that one of the reasons you're blocking support for something like Flash is that it isn't "open" and then turn around and start limiting the APIs available to developers because it takes away from revenue generating opportunities for developers.

Quote:
So what if Facebook "abandoned" iOS with their shitty new hack to Android. Do you think anyone cares? To an extent, this could be seen as very insulting to Facebook users or it could reaffirm to everyone that there are millions of mindless sheep on Facebook. But I seriously doubt it will drive very many handset sales. Oh, and one of thing points someone else made is that this is very unwelcome by Google because Facebook overshadows the platform. Samsung did it with the S4 and now Facebook has done it too.
Again the Facebook thing is an EXAMPLE of ONE app developer deciding that limitations on the iOS platform force them to embrace an opposing platform wholeheartedly. This SHOULD give Apple something to think about. Whether they do something about it is a different story. They may decide that they're okay with any developer defections due to limitations in APIs so long as they have a large enough install base that people are still forced to develop against their platform.

Quote:
Either way, I don't see a mass exodus from the one platform that is generating actual money for people.

Google made one fatal error for Android that Apple did not. And that's ensure they have control over the software, especially in the case of system releases. How many tens of millions of Android phones out there still on sale by carriers are still not updated? You do realize that favours the carriers and handset makers who have a total interest in getting people to constantly upgrade their phones because most people do not have the recessive geek gene to tinker for hours on this stuff.
LOL wut?

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote: