Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Note 2 can't receive texts from iphone 4??

This is crazy - I'm on Sprint and can't receive the texts from anyone's iphone without using a 3rd party app. They get mine every time.

My buddy on AT&T texts no problem with his wife who uses the same 4s my wife has.

And the 3rd party app (handcent SMS) only works part time.

Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

Thanks guys
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

you may have to manually input your APN settings or whatever. Of find an app that automatically sets it up for the carrier you're using.

of course this is all assuming you have an unlocked phone.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'll read up on the APN settings thanks. Get weirder still though, the tech at the sprint store just texted me from 2 different iphones no problem and double checked all settings and said they were fine.

He showed me what to look for on their iphones settings wise though, so I'll check those tonight.

Wish I knew more about Android and smart phones, but I guess this is how ya learn it right?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #4
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Use Go sms or the stock jelly bean mms. Handscent sms is kinda meh these days imo. Apn settings shouldn't really be an issue, since your on sprint.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Go sms is the best sms app I've used on android, only downside is every now and then they try to push you to buy premium themes or featurea
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I had this problem before.

You had an iPhone before the Note 2, right?
Well, the people who are texting you are still sending their messages as iMessage, not actual texts. You cannot receive iMessages, because of course, you are not using an iPhone anymore.

They can receive your messages because it is sent as a text and not an iMessage.

I can't remember how to fix this. It took like a week for all my iPhone owning friends to suddenly be able to message me again. :shrug:
Also, the reason why the tech at the Sprint store messaged you fine, was because those phones did not have you saved as an iMessage capable contact beforehand.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll look into go sms, but Nunz - that makes perfect sense - I'm going to delete my contact info from the girls phones tonight and re-enter it, see if that fixes it.

frikken apple - never again...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I had this problem before.

You had an iPhone before the Note 2, right?
Well, the people who are texting you are still sending their messages as iMessage, not actual texts. You cannot receive iMessages, because of course, you are not using an iPhone anymore.

They can receive your messages because it is sent as a text and not an iMessage.

I can't remember how to fix this. It took like a week for all my iPhone owning friends to suddenly be able to message me again. :shrug:
Also, the reason why the tech at the Sprint store messaged you fine, was because those phones did not have you saved as an iMessage capable contact beforehand.
This. The iPhone senders have to select "Send as SMS" or something. I'll look it up and edit this post...

EDIT:

Last edited by Munkus : Mar 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
This. The iPhone senders have to select "Send as SMS" or something. I'll look it up and edit this post...

EDIT:
Thanks Munkus - you may have saved me from destroying 2 iphones
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwood View Post
Thanks Munkus - you may have saved me from destroying 2 iphones
You're welcome. That will be $99.99. I take PayPalz.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
You're welcome. That will be $99.99. I take PayPalz.
"May have"....I said "may have"...

Old Mar 26, 2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Lazy8s
One day at a time

SOLVED! It was the SMS setting and putting roaming to voice and data. It was on voice only.

Also, and this is weird, turning wireless off sped everything up, by a lot. So no home wireless, just network = worlds better.

Thanks for the help gents!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
SOLVED! It was the SMS setting and putting roaming to voice and data. It was on voice only.

Also, and this is weird, turning wireless off sped everything up, by a lot. So no home wireless, just network = worlds better.

Thanks for the help gents!
Yay.

I was just about to post this but instead, here's a picture of a cat with it's new best friend.

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Thanks for the cuteness Sazar

I spoke too soon though - texting worked fine last night after changing those settings, today it does not work. I hate this crap, but will have to see what else may need to be done when thy get home tonight.

Sprint support says they have never heard of this issue.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It's a weird beast..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
It's a weird beast..
No doubt - what's really messed up is that anyone else with an iphone can text me no problem. Deleted me as a contact and re-entered too, just to make sure the imessage thing wasn't an issue.

*sigh*
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Deleting the person as a contact and re-entering doesn't change anything, actually. I tried that when I had the issue and it still sends it as an iMessage..
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Deleting the person as a contact and re-entering doesn't change anything, actually. I tried that when I had the issue and it still sends it as an iMessage..
oh - crap

I bet getting my wife an s3 would work. Heck, anything running jelly bean...

I'll have to see if there's a way to disable that default, but I'm pretty sure at this point it's exactly the same issue you had.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Out of curiosity, did you carry the phone number over from the old iphone to the new Note 2?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did you carry the phone number over from the old iphone to the new s3?
Yep, same number. She imported all of my data, contacts and all from the iphone I traded in.

What kills me is that it worked fine, texting on the sprint network last night and today...it doesn't.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Yep, same number. She imported all of my data, contacts and all from the iphone I traded in.

What kills me is that it worked fine, texting on the sprint network last night and today...it doesn't.
I think that may be the problem. Not sure where I read it, but Apple registers iPhone numbers for iMessage during the setup process. It's possible that your number hasn't been "unregistered" for lack of a better term. So maybe iMessages are still trying to get through and not failing over to SMS. I could be wrong though. Something to ask Sprint about. Not sure why it would work sporadically, though. What happens if you turn off iMessage on the iphone?

Last edited by Munkus : Mar 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I think that may be the problem. Not sure where I read it, but Apple registers iPhone numbers for iMessage during the setup process. It's possible that your number hasn't been "unregistered" for lack of a better term. So maybe iMessages are still trying to get through and not failing over to SMS. I could be wrong though. Something to ask Sprint about. Not sure why it would work sporadically, though. What happens if you turn off iMessage on the iphone?
Isn't that what Nunz was talking about? I get what you're saying and it makes sense, I just don't know what to do about it other than turn SMS on - trying to recall from memory, something about "Use SMS when imessage isn't available"

Does that sound right? I'm going to meet my daughter in an hour or so and see if hers is still set to that. I changed it on hers and the wifes last night and it worked, so unless it was physically changed back....

arg...headache
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:57 PM   #23
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Isn't that what Nunz was talking about? I get what you're saying and it makes sense, I just don't know what to do about it other than turn SMS on - trying to recall from memory, something about "Use SMS when imessage isn't available"

Does that sound right? I'm going to meet my daughter in an hour or so and see if hers is still set to that. I changed it on hers and the wifes last night and it worked, so unless it was physically changed back....

arg...headache
Yeah, sorry. Same thing.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Yeah, sorry. Same thing.
Don't be, please...I'm pretty certain you know a lot more about this than I do.

Heck, just the fact that someone sees my angst over this...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:37 PM   #25
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Is this a second hand Note 2?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Lazy8s
One day at a time

No, brand new from the corporate store.

I just had a sprint tech on the phone who was familiar with this issue. He said imessage has to be disabled in settings, as the imessage is actually a messenger service and not a text.

Makes sense because my ipad picked up all her texts to me today. Waiting to hear back from her to see if she could find the setting.

EDIT: Confirmed! That was the issue!

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully it just keeps working now lol

Last edited by Lazy8s : Mar 27, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
No, brand new from the corporate store.

I just had a sprint tech on the phone who was familiar with this issue. He said imessage has to be disabled in settings, as the imessage is actually a messenger service and not a text.

Makes sense because my ipad picked up all her texts to me today. Waiting to hear back from her to see if she could find the setting.

EDIT: Confirmed! That was the issue!

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully it just keeps working now lol
Quote:
What happens if you turn off iMessage on the iphone?
/flex
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #28
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
/flex

*manhug* LoL, I didn't realize there was an actual setting for imessage. The tech at the sprint store said that other sms thingy took care of it.

Told you you know more about it than I do.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:

*manhug* LoL, I didn't realize there was an actual setting for imessage. The tech at the sprint store said that other sms thingy took care of it.

Told you you know more about it than I do.
Glad it worked for you. iForgot to ask if you had an iPad on the same Apple iCloud account as the iPhone. That right thar will swallow up your iMessages and not cause a failover to SMS.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:17 PM   #30
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Glad it worked for you. iForgot to ask if you had an iPad on the same Apple iCloud account as the iPhone. That right thar will swallow up your iMessages and not cause a failover to SMS.
That's exactly what the tech said. Wife is happy therefore hairball...er...I'm happy..