Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Voice over Wi-Fi?

Simple question...

Is it possible for me to configure things such that when I make cell calls from within my own house (iPhone, Verizon Wireless), the calls automatically go through my wi-fi network, and I don't have to pay for the airtime?

How about receiving calls?

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:12 AM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled witht3hl33td4rg0n is not someone to be trifled with

Skype and Vonage have android apps if I remember correctly.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 512GB Samsung 860 EVO | 4TB WDC Black | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 500GB SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Ok... I'm new to Skype, but I installed and configured it successfully. As I can understand it, I can now use it to make unlimited domestic calls for free - provided I'm within a wireless network. Is this correct?

So how does it work with receiving calls while in wi-fi?

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
Ok... I'm new to Skype, but I installed and configured it successfully. As I can understand it, I can now use it to make unlimited domestic calls for free - provided I'm within a wireless network. Is this correct?

I thought it was only free to other people with Skype. I was racing down in Florida a couple months back and I video chatted with the g/f back home no problem. I was using Skype on a Lumia 920, she was on a desktop with webcam.

Taking a look at my data from that month, it would appear that Skype defaults to the Wifi network when possible.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #5
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

GrooveIP
GTwannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
CDAZ
Harlem Tech

CDAZ is still being judged by the masses

Talkatone
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:44 AM   #7
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Simple question...

Is it possible for me to configure things such that when I make cell calls from within my own house (iPhone, Verizon Wireless), the calls automatically go through my wi-fi network, and I don't have to pay for the airtime?

How about receiving calls?
Are you talking about using your regular cell phone number to make call through the wi-fi network? I know it's possible but I don't think you can do it through skype.

Quote:

It works the same way. I also pay $6/month for a phone number from skype. You can choose your area code. This way people can contact me on skype by dialing that number just like a regular phone. The only requirement is you need a wifi/data connection.

Last edited by nrs421 : Mar 11, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
Are you talking about using your regular cell phone number to make call through the wi-fi network? I know it's possible but I don't think you can do it through skype.
Not sure what's considered a "regular" cell phone at this point in market. However, quoted from 3 posts up, it works just fine via a smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
I thought it was only free to other people with Skype. I was racing down in Florida a couple months back and I video chatted with the g/f back home no problem. I was using Skype on a Lumia 920, she was on a desktop with webcam.

Taking a look at my data from that month, it would appear that Skype defaults to the Wifi network when possible.

Actually did a test at work the other day now that I think about it. Worked fine over 4G as well.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Not sure what's considered a "regular" cell phone at this point in market. However, quoted from 3 posts up, it works just fine via a smartphone.
I meant using the cellphone number assigned to you by your cell provider e.g. Verizon. When someone calls you on that number or vice versa if you are near a WiFi spot it will go through WiFi instead of going through the cellular network.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:04 PM   #10
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
I meant using the cellphone number assigned to you by your cell provider e.g. Verizon. When someone calls you on that number or vice versa if you are near a WiFi spot it will go through WiFi instead of going through the cellular network.

Oh, gotcha. Definitely didn't test that specifically. I'd imagine if it was possible, it'd be the pay-for service and obviously you'd have to register your phone number with your user account, a la a Google Voice type setup.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #11
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Could give this a shot:

http://www.viber.com/
Old Apr 2, 2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Tmobile comes with IP calling software preinstalled on their Android phones. It works perfectly and uses the same number. Doesn't cost anything either, and you don't have to turn it on or anything, it just automaticagically does it whenever it's in wifi range if you've got it set to do so. My wife got one the other day and I tried hard to find something similar for my verizon phone but couldn't find anything besides Skype etc..

Perfect for us since we live in an area with crap coverage.