Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Default HTC One unveiled

I'll be waiting for reviews but that's one mighty looking phone. I've always liked HTC's build quality and this one's no different...an all-aluminum unibody, with a bit of iPhone 5/Z10 resemblance, which isn't a bad thing.

Sense seems to be less bloated from all the videos I've seen. My only gripe would be the lack of a microSD card...couldn't care less about a removable battery though.

Quote:
Gone by the wayside are those pure polycarbonate hulls -- HTC's Sense 5-laden Android Jelly Bean (4.1.2) handset comes crafted with an all-around premium look and feel, housing its 4.7-inch 1080p Super LCD 3 display (boasting 468 dpi and protected by Gorilla Glass 2) in a machined aluminum unibody. And, in a bid for the top spot on the mobile totem pole, the One also bears the distinction of being (one of) the first smartphones to feature Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon 600, clocked here at 1.7GHz and paired with 2GB RAM.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-unveiled/
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Looks good will pick one up to play with when available.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Optical Drive

In hand pic. Almost tempted to say Iphone done right lol.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:12 PM   #4
ZaP911
Come again?!

ZaP911 is still being judged by the masses

Looking good. I wonder how the battery consumption is for these new Snapdragon 600 processors. HTC phones are usually lacking when it comes to battery life , so I'm hoping that 2300mAh will be enough.
ZaP911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post

heh, don't even say iphone around me

I haven't gotten a Note yet...nice I'll have a chance to look into this first.

EDIT: 32Gb minimum? I can do without the SD with that...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:26 PM   #6
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaP911 View Post
Looking good. I wonder how the battery consumption is for these new Snapdragon 600 processors. HTC phones are usually lacking when it comes to battery life , so I'm hoping that 2300mAh will be enough.
The droid dna/butterfly has pretty decent battery life very similar to an i5 in my experience. This battery is bigger, screen pretty much the same so I would assume it to be quite decent.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I wonder how Sense 5 is. I have always liked HTC build quality but for some reason I have never been a big fan of Sense. I've owned several from the Incredible to the Thunderbolt and never really could get into the changes Sense made to android I always ended up putting a senseless rom on every HTC phone i ever had. Samsung and Motorola for some reason didn't bother me as bad. This phone looks like a killer though.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Sense 4 was much better than prior versions. It had 0 lag to it but I still find sense too annoying. It's not like touchwiz where it's closer to AOSP. Funny thing I noticed with the dna was that somehow battery life was better without sense removed.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Sense 4 was much better than prior versions. It had 0 lag to it but I still find sense too annoying. It's not like touchwiz where it's closer to AOSP. Funny thing I noticed with the dna was that somehow battery life was better without sense removed.
My One X updated to 4.1.1 is laggy as hell when using Sense. I don't know what the hell they did to it, on 4.0.4 it was almost perfect.

Hopefully they'll bring the new Sense to the "older" phones as well.

About the One, it looks good I guess, but overall I think the One X is better looking. Personal preference I guess.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ego View Post
My One X updated to 4.1.1 is laggy as hell when using Sense. I don't know what the hell they did to it, on 4.0.4 it was almost perfect.

Hopefully they'll bring the new Sense to the "older" phones as well.

About the One, it looks good I guess, but overall I think the One X is better looking. Personal preference I guess.
Ego have you tried to factory restore the phone? I have 2 friends with one x with 4.1 and both are very smooth (i saw them with my own eyes xD) with jellybean (they have only stock updates - no roms or anything like that).

This phone looks like a monster. Very pretty and highest-end specs. Only ugly thing is the HTC-logo in the front, i find it very ugly for some reason.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hopefully others will follow the speakers in the front design. Though my hands have mastered the cupping form for iPhone and various other Android phones.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

Looking great. I'm curious to see some real life pictures of that 4-megapixel BSI sensor and f/2.0 lens
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:36 AM   #14
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Ego have you tried to factory restore the phone? I have 2 friends with one x with 4.1 and both are very smooth (i saw them with my own eyes xD) with jellybean (they have only stock updates - no roms or anything like that).

This phone looks like a monster. Very pretty and highest-end specs. Only ugly thing is the HTC-logo in the front, i find it very ugly for some reason.
Nope, I'm very lazy
I will try it at some point though. Thing is, I'm using a custom launcher, and that's perfectly smooth.

edit.
Here's a hands on video:

Smoooooooooooooooth !
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 AM   #15
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Since no one has said it.. Ill say it... it looks like an iphone 5 with a bigger screen.

Aluminum body right down to the chamfer edges.

Looks great though

Also wondering if those chamfer edges are going to be more durable than the i5s. Also since its all aluminum will we get the whole "your holding it wrong" with this phone.

Last edited by logical : Feb 20, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:36 AM   #16
Ego
I can't take this

It's not only Iphone 5 I'm seeing there.
The new home screen is bang on Windows Phone, even the "Zoe" feature which allows you to have short animated screens seems to be made with Live Tiles in mind.
Then, swipe to the right, and you have Android.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some BB10 in there somewhere

Still looks great though.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...e-new-htc-one/

Benchmarks.
OMFG

Last edited by Ego : Feb 20, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The camera/sensor makes me excited for what's in store for iPhone 5S. HTC really designed this one. The video, everything looks fluid and fast.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:16 AM   #18
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaP911 View Post
I'll be waiting for reviews but that's one mighty looking phone. I've always liked HTC's build quality and this one's no different...an all-aluminum unibody, with a bit of iPhone 5/Z10 resemblance, which isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Since no one has said it.. Ill say it... it looks like an iphone 5 with a bigger screen.

Phone looks good!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:31 PM   #19
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

I still don't understand the need for a home and back button on touch based devices... And the HTC logo should be on the back.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:34 PM   #20
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I still don't understand the need for a home and back button on touch based devices... And the HTC logo should be on the back.
It could be made into one button really. If you ever use an android device you will know why you want a back button, it's just 10x more efficient than not having one.

Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:09 PM   #21
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
It could be made into one button really. If you ever use an android device you will know why you want a back button, it's just 10x more efficient than not having one.
And a menu key,i missed those 3 buttons so much when i was on iOS for a couple of weeks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:47 PM   #22
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
When you use it, you'll see. I didn't get it either until I got my 920. It makes life a lot easier in navigating.

Having nothing but a home button is archaic from a design standpoint because then you end up wasting space on the UI for navigation. Having dedicated buttons frees you up from that standpoint.

Back in the day when applications were simpler, sure, a home button may have made some sense, but not anymore.

However, since iOS is basically an app-launcher, it probably doesn't hamper it much.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You should try it. Whenever I have to use my wife's iphone to do something for her it's so damn frustrating.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:57 AM   #24
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangFu View Post
And a menu key,i missed those 3 buttons so much when i was on iOS for a couple of weeks
Agreed. I usually change the recents button on htc to menu.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #25
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The phone looks sexy. But im waiting to see what the iPhone 5S or whatever they call it will bring.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
The phone looks sexy. But im waiting to see what the iPhone 5S or whatever they call it will bring.
Why?

Unless the operating system is massively updated, what's the point?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:20 AM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Its probably going to bring NFC.
OR faster internals
And not likely both
that's probably about it....

you'd have to wait for iphone6 for any kind of actual newness.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:37 AM   #28
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Why?

Unless the operating system is massively updated, what's the point?
Cause I cant stand Android. The Apps for Windows aren't there yet (had a Lumia 800) and I have a heap of IOS apps etc.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:43 AM   #29
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Looks good, wondering how it will compare to the Galaxy S4. I really don't feel like waiting for that damn thing.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:09 PM   #30
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Cause I cant stand Android. The Apps for Windows aren't there yet (had a Lumia 800) and I have a heap of IOS apps etc.
Apps, sure, I get that. But the OS sucks.