Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Buying phone off contract

Since I'm not going to do another contract with Verizon and lose my unlimited data, I'm going to buy an S4 off contract. I've never done this before and don't know what I'm actually looking for, is it called an unlocked phone or something? If most carriers are getting the S4 at the end of the month when can I expect to buy one without a contract?

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:36 PM   #2
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

any verizon phone with a clean esn (not reported lost or stolen) can be activated by calling verizon and giving them some info over the phone (usually some account specific info and the meid of the phone)

if you're buying new just pay the full price and give them a call

now if your current phone doesn't have an LTE sim card you'll need one of those as well
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So I can just walk into a Verizon store whenever they get one and buy it off contract? Why the hell didn't I realize that... derp.

LTE sim cards don't come with it?

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
So I can just walk into a Verizon store whenever they get one and buy it off contract? Why the hell didn't I realize that... derp.

well at a verizon store they will likely give (or sell) you a sim third party retailers might be more hit and miss on that
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:21 AM   #5
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:

I wouldn't buy it from verizon. Just look for an for unlocked phone from amazon. It's cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...phone+unlocked
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 07:31 AM   #6
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
I wouldn't buy it from verizon. Just look for an for unlocked phone from amazon. It's cheaper.

How long does it take them to get brand new phones though? My current one isn't going to make it much longer, I need to get it as soon as I can (i.e. as soon as it's released).

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
How long does it take them to get brand new phones though? My current one isn't going to make it much longer, I need to get it as soon as I can (i.e. as soon as it's released).
Not long, if not same day as everyone else.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But a unlocked phone like that is not what you want. If you were on a GSM network like AT&T or T-Mobile they would be fine but remember even that we use a sim card it is for LTE 4G purposes only. You need a Verizon only phone. Either new from a Verizon store or from a individual such as Craigslist. Remember to check the IMEI on the spot either by calling Verizon or you can do it on their website. And there still is a slight chance someone could still report it after you buy. I have bought many this way and I believe Lupine has as well. Good luck.

Last edited by kytprice : Apr 22, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If you look at the specs to the ads you linked to they do not have CDMA listed. Will not work. Not at all.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Basically what kytprice said. I believe the vast majority of unlocked phones are AT&T and T-Mobile.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Yeah, the international variant of S3 will not work on Verizon. But a Verizon S3 can be made to work with GSM networks iirc. Not sure if this will be the same on the S4.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I was reading today that those of us grandfathered in can utilize the new payment plan deal going on to get a new phone. For those who don't want to shell out $600 up front you pay for it over 12months. I should say 12 months, 8 months, 4 months or however many months you want.

Last edited by Xiro : Apr 22, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:36 PM   #13
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
I was reading today that those of us grandfathered in can utilize the new payment plan deal going on to get a new phone. For those who don't want to shell out $600 up front you pay for it over 12months.
Eh? Where did you read this?

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Right here

Quote:
According to Verizon, if you are an existing customer with an unlimited data plan, keeping your unlimited data can still be accomplished by purchasing phones at full retail price, and the new Device Payment Plan is considered an option.
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:49 AM   #15
GSGRUNT
No chops 🎸

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

http://shopamerica.htc.com/cell-phon...htm?prId=41599

Great phone, unlocked, CDMA, GSM and LTE.
[edit]
Never mind, might not work on VZW

Last edited by GSGRUNT : Apr 23, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
GSGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:50 PM   #16
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Buy from Craiglist and have the guy meet you at the verizon store to get it activated on spot. Buying from verizon will land you tax and an activation fee ( no fee if you bought the phone elsewhere). If you don't trust random ppl on CL. Shoot me a pm when your ready to buy. I will sell it to you at Verizon price without the tax and shipped and you can swap your LTE sim in and out and your good to go. I will have quite a few of them on hand anyway.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
I will have quite a few of them on hand anyway.

Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Verizon isn't launching the phone until May 30 anyway ****ing dipshits.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.